Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here tow with an 09-10 F150?

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Disclaimer: I'll drive all day with the cruise on and start complaining after 30 minutes with my right foot on the gas pedal.

That said, I've been using my parents' 2006 GMC Sierra with the 5.3l engine and 4-speed auto this year. Driving from Houston to TWS, even some of the overpasses caused the truck to downshift into 2nd revving to about 4K rpm.

The truck motor didn't like being revved that high but I could anticipate the hill, add throttle ahead of the cruise and prevent the downshift. However it was not what I considered a relaxing drive.

I think the new F150s with the 6-speed auto won't need to downshift quite as severely, maybe 4th instead of 2nd.

2nd disclaimer: Based on some other rather dubious requirements, such as towing huge travel trailers or towing the Camaro while carrying a truck camper, I just bought a 2010 F250 diesel. Since we have given up on the truck camper idea, I think that an F150 would have towed the race car just fine and been a much better daily driver. I would have gone with the 5.4, but then again I just bought a frigging diesel.
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I have an F250 Powerstroke.

I wish I had my old GMC HD 8.1 back.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I test drove an 09 with the 4.6 and one with the 5.4. Didn't care for either of the trucks as a whole and went with the '08 Tundra I drive now but of the two the 5.4 is worth every penny if you're going to tow a car

That said... brakes are smaller, less power, negligible difference in gas mileage - get a Tundra :lol: :x

- KB, not really a fanboi but does love what he picked out
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"