Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: More nationals info

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez

You are right about one thing though, I did make a major mistake. I didnt make it this weekend, but it took the events of this weekend to realize it.
    Well, we all know how you play that game.

Watch out Adam, they will stab you in the back and remove you as a Director. You better start drinking the kool-aid!

DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I disagree on some of your points Richard. Strut bars, extended air deflectors, and sub frame connectors are all modifications made looking to improve performance. There is simply no way those quarter windows were installed with the thought of improving performance.
    OK. Can we get a chart with potential lap time benefits for each of the violations found at nationals? Without hard data, it’s just wishy washy opinions on what we believe could cause an advantage.

So the offending quarter windows have vents in them. Do we have before and after wind tunnel tests to determine their effect on the overall drag and down force? If they weren’t meant to affect some change on the car, why were they installed??? Do we have data on the aerodynamic effects of a missing cowl plate??? Did you know that’s one of the highest air pressure points on the car?

Either nationals is a big deal or it isn’t. I’d like to think that it’s a big deal. Given the disqualifications that were handed out, it seems like the intent was for it to be a big deal. If it is actually a big deal, a car is either legal or it’s not.

You believe that the violations that caused a DQ were of a performance benefit and the violations that were handed a fix it ticket were of no performance benefit. I believe you are wrong. I also believe I have enough of a technical background to back up my beliefs. I also believe that none of this is relevant. In order to be fair and unbiased, beliefs get thrown out the window and all decisions should be based on facts. Based on facts, a car is either legal or it’s not.

If a car isn’t legal, a person worthy of a national championship will do whatever it takes to make it legal. One team had their car gutted and destroyed by fire. They found a replacement tub and were back on track the next day. Apparently they thought nationals was a big deal. Replacing a couple of quarter windows sounds like a pretty minor thing. I saw the Safelite auto glass truck on site...

Richard P.

Richard, not asking for you to agree, and understand I appreciate your opinion. Everyone is allowed to make up their own mind, and the event's competitors are allowed to seek recourse under the rules themselves if they feel they should. I was only trying to explain how I made up my own mind.

Nationals is a big deal, and timing has a lot to do with everything since we do not have the kind of excruciating teardowns and post race tech some other classes have. It is unfortunate, I wish everyone had passed with flying colors. Maybe next year instead of pre race class tech that focuses on safety and aesthetics we should focus only on technical things to give folks time to make repairs. We're not out there to hang people, but to try to ensure a fair fight.

David, thanks for finally coming clean with your true feelings.
    Al Fernandez

Bryan...assuming Adam would always choose the class over his own personal desires was my mistake.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Maybe next year instead of pre race class tech that focuses on safety and aesthetics we should focus only on technical things to give folks time to make repairs. We're not out there to hang people, but to try to ensure a fair fight.
    Glenn already said it, this just comes back to better rules consistency at the regional level. I don't think it was intentional, but the collective "we" did miss JKs subframe connectors.

If a region agrees to let a car run with a NON SAFETY RELATED fix-it ticket, cool; but the message should be, you WILL get DQd for that at Nationals. We should not compromise on safety, period. Nor should anyone be surprised or offended (not saying that anyone in this conversation is) that a non-compliant driver/car combo is DQd at Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 'Big Boss Man' Fernandez
    C'mon Al, you know I'm a fan. :wink:

I vote lock the thread; let's move forward.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar

Al, don't act like you don't know! You three are all well aware of how I feel about the departure.

Now please proceed to make me look bad, becuse that's always your next move.

DD

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383
    I vote lock the thread; let's move forward.
    Good idea ... its worked so well in the past. :roll:

8)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Bryan...assuming Adam would always choose the class over his own personal desires was my mistake.
    My personal desire was the car crowned the 2010 CMC National Champion would be legal.

That's a mistake?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I was only trying to explain how I made up my own mind.

OK. That's fair.

By that logic, if Dave, Rob, Nick, etc. had showed up with lexan, they would have been given fix it tickets and been allowed to run illegally because it wouldn't have been a performance modification?

Richard P.

Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by "Adam Ginsberg
    Al notified all the CMC2 drivers that a CMC2 car didn't meet the track width rule by 1/8". He left it up to the drivers to decide. He wasn't consistent in letting the CMC driver's make the same decision. He didn't even let us know there was a car with lexan windows.
    Adam,

God love ya but I'm calling BS. There is no way in hell any of you guys racing on the same track as Anders missed the huge chrome air scoops in his quarter windows! What did you think...he cut a hole in the glass? Yes they are illegal but they were illegal and clearly visible to anyone within a 1/4 mile of that thing from Wednesday till the last race on Saturday. You guys didn't say anything because he was running around at the back and off the podium all week. If you had a problem with them you missed your chance to bitch about them on Thursday after the first qualifying session! Al caught them (who wouldn't have!) and made a ruling.

See you at MidOhio in 2011,

Sidney
    CMC2 #64