Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CMC 2 3rd gen

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Adam Ginsberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Shaw
    Comparing prices on brakes and other parts between the two platforms before I make a decision.
    FWIW, if you're looking at brake systems, let me know.

I've been working with StopTech for the past few months on a CMC2 kit. Their current ST40 kit is legal, for the most part, with the exception of the drilled/slotted rotors.

I had a great meeting with Ryan Kim of StopTech at the Nats, and we're looking to put out an announcement very soon.

Member Rookie
    Cool.
    1984 mustang. getting back into CMC.
    Looking for another Fox Saleen

Junior Member Rookie
    I did not need to do any clearancing of the block for the vortec 350 cylinder heads. However you must use a 350 head gasket. I used a .038 thick standard felrpo head gasket.
    My carbed 305 makes 262 hp and 299 ftlbs. It has hooker shorty headers and the spec CMC1 flat tappet cam with 1.6 rockers.
    I made the change on a tight budget and wanted to see if the CMC1 cam would make the power with the 1.6 rockers and it did. In my opinion the rule makers were generous and the CMC2 cam with the 1.6 rockers nets somewhere around .500 lift. more than is needed IMHO. The cmc1 cam with 1.6 rockers ends up somewhere around .472. Couple that with the vortec head it is very easy to make the numbers and very inexpensive, compared to going the LT1 route or trying to get a tpi to make the numbers.
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    I know it was a monster coming off the turns at Hallett.

Member Rookie
    The Midwest 3rd Gen CMC2 cars are all on LS brakes, 16 inch wheels, 255/16 tires, & stock rear spoilers. I don't see any of that changing.

I dynoed a couple Fridays ago. 305, CMC2 cam, Hooker shortys, 1.5 rockers (I had these from my AI days), no X pipe, & steel driveshaft. I pulled 253 rwhp and 282 rwtq. I'll put the Aluminum driveshaft back in and probably add an X pipe over the winter. If my numbers aren't closer I'll look at swapping to 1.6 rockers.

Sidney Franklin
    CMC2 #64

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Thanks Bob!

Interesting on the cam lift. I never realised there were two different cams for CMC1 vs CMC2.

I'd be concerned about the .500 lift w/ the 1.6s on a set of stock vortec heads. I know .480 is about the max you can run without modifying the spring seat.

*edit*
    per the earlier thread highjack...
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/1945471059.html
    */edit*
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien
    I'd be concerned about the .500 lift w/ the 1.6s on a set of stock vortec heads. I know .480 is about the max you can run without modifying the spring seat.
    When I raced on dirt...one of my engines had a higher lift with 1.6 rr's running stock vortec heads. There was an issue with high rpms and generally the valve push rod openings had to be clearanced to avoid issues.

Awesome stuff. The duece is going to be the place to be next year in Texas!!
    Al Fernandez