Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dyno procedure

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    And you and I know the that to be true.

I didn't use to ... I've pointed my finger before and I've had my car fingered.

However, those that are new or "don't get it" find a reason to excuse on track performance and drag honest, talented racers through the mud, dragging the series with it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby donovan's Avatar
    Hi Mitch!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Well I agree with Fruitcake that this is an excellent discussion. There is no perfect solution as there are always too many variables. But the dyno has been the best option available and I think it has worked pretty well. Now I'm interested in seeing the data from all the pucks and how that can be used in conjuction with dyno's. I can't wait to go to the track and get pucked :lol:

How about the ability to protest someones car? Since there are dyno's now at a few tracks here is my suggestion. If I think someone is making too much power I can put up the dyno charge (whatever their fee is) to put someone on the dyno. If they are compliant then I lose my money. If the person fails the dyno then I get my money back. The non compliant person has to pay for the dyno and then would be DQ'd. Of course this wouldn't be easy to put into the rules.

When I chose CMC racing I was under the impression that it was routine for the winners to go to impound and hit the dyno. Now I realize that we are just racing for a little medal that I throw away and that is a little bit overboard. I would still like to see a random event where the top 3 are pulled to impound for a dyno.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bryan, that is already in the rules.... it's called a protest form.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    17.5 Protests, Request for Action, and Appeals
    17.5.1 Protests
    Any entered driver may lodge a protest against another driver disputing the mechanical
    compliance of their competition vehicle. To lodge a protest, the protestor shall obtain a “Protest Form” from Registration, fill it out, and file it, along with the appropriate fee, with
    the Race Director. The Race Director may accept the protest, may extend the time
    allowed, or may reject the protest. For the protest to be valid, it must meet the following
    conditions:
    1. Be filed within thirty (30) minutes of the completion of the race.
    2. Each part that is being protested must be named specifically.
    3. Each part may be considered a separate protest, in terms of fees.
    4. Each part listed shall be accompanied by the rule(s) number that it violates.
    5. The title of the rulebook must be cited with each rule number.
    6. Accepted by the Race Director.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL
    Well I agree with Fruitcake...

...I would still like to see a random event where the top 3 are pulled to impound for a dyno.
    You do not need to be in the top 3 to be cheating. I don't think random dynos should be limited to finish position. Everyones numbers into a hat and one lucky winner.

One thing I liked from back in the autocross days was after a run group was finished, they put all cars in impound for some set amount of time and the rule was all cars had to have hoods and trunks open. Everyone could look around if they wanted, no touching.

To be honest, 99% of the time all the drivers stood around bench racing instead, but the idea is that all cars are available for peer inspection. Helped keep the good feelings going.... I realize with our schedule for the weekend, this is not always practical, but to throw it in once and a while might be workable.

I do agree that the dynos are not perfect but it is pretty much what we have to work with for the time being.

Jeff

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    17.5 Protests, Request for Action, and Appeals
    17.5.1 Protests
    Any entered driver may lodge a protest against another driver disputing the mechanical
    compliance of their competition vehicle. To lodge a protest, the protestor shall obtain a “Protest Form” from Registration, fill it out, and file it, along with the appropriate fee, with
    the Race Director. The Race Director may accept the protest, may extend the time
    allowed, or may reject the protest. For the protest to be valid, it must meet the following
    conditions:
    1. Be filed within thirty (30) minutes of the completion of the race.
    2. Each part that is being protested must be named specifically.
    3. Each part may be considered a separate protest, in terms of fees.
    4. Each part listed shall be accompanied by the rule(s) number that it violates.
    5. The title of the rulebook must be cited with each rule number.
    6. Accepted by the Race Director.
    Rob/Glenn- Did you have these protest forms at the track or do you know if Registration always have them available?
    This seems to identify protesting a certain part but doesn't address the ability to send someone to the dyno? What is the appropriate fee for sending someone to the dyno? Does the individual who filed the protest get their fee back if they are found illegal?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Brayn ... you are protesting the validity of their dyno cert.

Jeff ... the "name out of a hat" occured a few years ago. And guess what ... the same guy got selected two or three times in a row. It kind of lost juice after that.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx
    Jeff ... the "name out of a hat" occured a few years ago. And guess what ... the same guy got selected two or three times in a row. It kind of lost juice after that.

That's a bummer. It was a pretty sweet setup. The hat drawing was done Saturday evening giving the selectee all Saturday night and all Sunday to correct any "tweaks" they might have made before their hood was sealed and they were sent to the dyno. :roll:

It was still better than what we are doing now...

Richard P.

I think it was SchuVarner, wasn't it?

Still ... he could have busted out using the track's dyno. And then if he went back to his original dyno and rolled within specs, what was just accomplished?

If dyno cert is the way to go(and I don;t have an issue using a dyno as the cert tool) then it needs to be the same dyno for everyone, just like the scales.

You can't claim that you made weight on the scales you have at your shop. To be consistent ...