Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

Guns

Who here likes to shoot?

Talked a bit with Nick R. and Steve. And have been chatting off on and on with others many here may or may not know.

I haven't shot a gun in 20 years, but am looking forward to going through a few rounds.

I've had a 12, 20 and 410 shotguns forever and my dad gave me a Llama 357 amd 380, as well as a few black powder rifles and hand guns. Oh and a cannon.

I recently purchased this ...

Jones-ing to go to a range and try it out.

Steve has me convinced I need a AR style 223.

I have an H&K 9mm. We always have a ton of fun just plinking at a target with an old .22; ammo is much cheaper...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Mitch,
    A friend of mine had a Ruger .22 target pistol that we would take to the range after exams during college. Nothing better than a $6 range fee and $10 for a metric crapload of long rifle rounds to knock down sillhouettes all day... The only thing that would have made it better was beer, but I don't think that would have been accepted very well.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I've got a 20ga. hallway gun that's fun to take skeet shooting once in a while....there's a pretty cool place in Austin called Capital City Trap & Skeet. Kinda like a golf course with guns. You just walk around on trails to different stations and shoot at stuff. Much different than paper targets at the range but that's fun once in a while too. Gets damn expensive with anything bigger than a .22 though. My boss jumped on the AR15 bandwagon a while back and I get to shoot that once in a while. It's fun and all but I'm pretty sure he spent more buying and shooting that thing last year than I did on tires and brakes combined :shock:
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Grass-Passer Boudy's Avatar
    Good choice Mitch. You'll enjoy a your .22 plinker way more than anything else. Mags are easy to load and ammo is cheap. Nothing like sending rounds down range until you're tired and realizing you've only burned $12 worth of ammo.

Big bore's are cool but even though I usually go to the range with a .40, 9mm, and .22 I end up spending the most time with the .22. The .40 feels like practice while the .22 is just fun.

To maximize you range enjoyment, pick up 5 or 6 extra magazines. They're like $20 or less for your Ruger. It's frustrating as hell to stop and load every 10 rounds, especially at a range that will allow double taps and rapid fire.

One more thing, .22's are picky eaters so don't buy bulk ammo until you find the brand that yours likes.

Boudy

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudy View Post
    Good choice Mitch. You'll enjoy a your .22 plinker way more than anything else. Mags are easy to load and ammo is cheap. Nothing like sending rounds down range until you're tired and realizing you've only burned $12 worth of ammo.

Boudy
    Yeah, it's time for something different.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Al took me to the range once. He brought a 45 semi auto and a .357 (?) hammerless pistol. Both were fun and loud and cool sounding.

I brought a .22 semi-auto camping rifle. When I shot the first clip, everyone at the indoor range stopped what they were doing and looked to see who brought the cap gun. It was a lot of fun. I've shot apples with it and my kids set up video cameras to catch the carnage.

My dad had a .22 Ruger pistol when I was young. The damn thing sounded like a cannon. It was fun too.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Mitch let's go shooting sometime for sure.
    We usually go to the ranges in Garland (indoor and outdoor depending on if we want to shoot the long guns or not) and a friend of ours is on the board at a range in Denton.

My wife and daughter shoot .380 ....the men folk go up from there
    Typically we go to the range with an assortment.
    Kyri and my oldest son Chris prefer to shoot clay - Kyri's pretty handy with the long guns too.
    My youngest son Cameron ("Camo") and I prefer the long guns and the girls switch between pistols and clay.

Camo just bought a 1924 Mosin Nagant - he's been searching for just the "right one" for years...the Top Shot show made it harder as it was a popular rifle on that show...but we went to the Fort Worth show a few weeks back and sure enough among all the 1940's was one 1924. Damn accurate gun almost a hundred years later.

Now that we've mainly settled on a couple of calibers our next purchase is a reloader

You'll have a lot of cheap fun with the 22/45. I'm looking for one myself (so I can stop borrowing Chuck's).
    How about a range day the weekend after Hallett... outdoor at Alpine or indoor at Lone Star.
    CMC#79

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    I like to shoot. Got my own AR, too. I'd love to find a range that allows double tapping and rapid fire.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT