Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hallett - OMG

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    This was by far the best race weekend I've ever had!

Got in a few sessions on Friday and aside from having to figure out a fuel leak issue, was able to get enough track time in to figure out my lines on a bran new track.

For R1, I got stuck behind traffic at the start and got freight trained by half the CMC2 field by T2. Settled in and started making some ground on Brian until I started having brake heating issues. After that, it was all I could do to try and hold Jim off while saving my brakes. I managed to hold him off until I got a bad exit coming out of the bitch and he was able to pull me down the back straight. I gave my brakes one last time to perform and tried a late brake before the last turn. Jim stayed with me on the outside of the turn until he lost grip and slid off to the outside. After that, I backed off and cruised in for the finish.

R2. Got a decent start but had to go easy and try to manage my brakes the whole race. I set a nice pace but not enough to keep Brian behind me. He eventually divebombed me going into the bitch, I saw it coming and tried to brake early and come back inside but we were too close to the edge of the track. I had the exit speed to get past....but not the pavement! Decided to keep my foot in it despite going four off until car started pointing in directions other than the one it was going and the cockpit was filling up with blowing grass. I backed off and settled in, having accepted my fate (and brakes).

R3. Had an outstanding start and managed to late brake my way into second going into the bus stop. Tried to hold off Frank and Marshall but knew I was just prolonging the inevitable, so I didn't try too hard (or unsafe). Settled in behind Chris after T1 on the second lap and enjoyed the open track until Frank spun in the bus stop. After that it was traffic free running until I noticed Frank steadily catching back up to me. Did my best to keep my speed up hoping the checkered flag would wave before Frank caught me but he was too fast. Once he passed, I just did the best I could to match him through the turns but that big Cobra just walked me on the straights.

R4. That was THE race. This is why I race! This was the best, most exciting race I have ever had! Got jammed up in traffic going into the bus stop and let some of the faster CMC cars by. Once I settled in behind them I was able to make up lost ground and found myself back behind Jim and Brian. I was able to pass Jim and then Brian in two laps going through the bus stop and managed to put some distance between us. After that I settled in and tried to save gas and brakes for the long haul ahead. That proved to be a mistake as Brian and Jim were able to catch back up. I started pushing it again but was held up by CMC2 traffic. I don't mind though, because it set up the best race of my life!
    It started with Brian divebombing me 3 turns before going into the bitch and pulling ahead of me. I chased him back around and managed a divebomb going into the bus stop. I flogged the car for the next 10 minutes or so, trying to get the #11 (not Michael) CMC2 car behind me so I could have a buffer, but he was just fast enough to stay ahead. All of a sudden I hear a car downshift on the inside of me going into the bus stop. I didn't even see him! I held my outside line going through the turn and managed to stay in the lead until 3 turns later when I oversteered and drifted through 6 & 7. I lost just enough speed for Brian to pass on the inside before 8. I chased him down going into the last lap and passed back inside on 6 but he was able shoot back inside me coming out of 7....again! I stayed as close as I could, braked early and grabbed 2nd going into the bitch and stomped the gas for all it was worth, and it was just enough. Brian slid coming out of the bitch (and missed a shift?). and I had just enough exit speed to get ahead of him going into the last turn. Whew!!

Big thanks again to Randy for the deluxe air mattress, Frank for the gas cap, Jerry for the bleeder and Brian for the new brake fluid. I had one hell of a weekend and can't wait to do it again at TWS!
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

Hallett Rocks!

Woo Hoo!!!

I love Hallett! I think I've needed help putting the car on the trailer two out of three years though, this year included.

Did the test day on Friday to get the CBP I desperately needed. (Cue Dr. Love: "Francis has NOS in that thing!) Good thing too... dropped another torque arm mount and actually had the torque arm knock the g-load brace off three bolts. Having been throught that before I had a spare and borrowed a tap from G. Money Robertson and the Robertson/Zimmer/Valentin crew bought me some hardware. Good to go.

After the last Friday session I opened the hood to find a mini geyser from the upper radiator hose; Mitch had a spare and I was able to source a replacement while we were out for dinner. Car is running strong ~ should be a good weekend.

Race1:

J Lo decided he was going to qual with the 2 cars ~ crazy quick all weekend. Runyon q'ed in the 2 spot and Orange was only fast enough to grid number three. But qualifying ain't racin'. When the field slowed to a stop, CMC was somewhere on the uphill before the last corner... oh wait, this was the standing start, we were MOST of the way out of the last corner.

GREEN! GREEN! GREEN!

You know there are those moments in racing you hope to remember a long time or have memorialized on video to share and brag about, this was one ~ only without video. As we find out later, Raybob stalls on the "go," Mulder launches only to have to stand it on the nose to keep from hitting Raybob, which doesn't matter because Boudy gets credited with a push-start assist as he tries to go off track left around Steve. As all this is happening I get a great launch behind Love who moves left while Runyon moves right. All I can see is a clear middle third and the little voice says, "Burch would do it." I stand on it in second and rocket up the middle taking Boudreaux's battle scarred-curb feeler-right fender with me. I'm down into 2 in the middle of the Duece. Orange is fast enough for win number 1 this day.

Race 2:

Shazam! Coming around for the green we're somewhere in the middle of the last turn as it all goes green. Watching 30 something cars headed down the hill is a sight to see. I try to exercise much patience throughout the race and do a fair job but still manage to cause some contact with Mitch coming into the first straight. He saw me but didn't know the CMC wolfpack was close at hand ~ my bad. Was able to breathe a little toward the end and hold off all comers. Orange is still fast and now 2 for 2.

Intermission:

It IS Saturday night at Hallett. Did you know that some people drink beer-ritas on purpose? Last I saw there was still some perfectly good thinner in the garage. Texas AI/CMC is the best. Talked to some brand-X guys who were trying to figure out who we were and why we were having such a good time.

Race 3:

Maybe this is when I should have had an idea how it would all end. I take the Hardship Warmup to bed some new front pads, I certainly don't want a repeat of horrible brake fade like last year to take me out again. As we leave the paddock on the out lap, my shifter is acting like a carousel pony. Great! Those guys suggested I check the transmission mount and I didn't. So now what? It's Hallett, drive it like you stole it! Start from somewhere in the last turn and watch the mass flow through the first lap. Was lucky to have traffic work in my favor, do a little extra-deep braking into 2 for a super-nice pass or two (if I can say so myself) and pick up the hat trick. Orange is fast but temporarily wounded. 3 for 3.

Race 4:

All the marbles on the line and starting up front; well as "front" as the back six of 30 something cars can be. (Aside: next year is going to be awesome!) Great start; head down and starting to gap the CMC guys. Except now 4th gear is crunching. So I'm driving a car that's had the torque arm/mount, transmission mount, front pads/fluid, and upper radiator hose touched over the course of the weekend. At least it's not overheating. Yet. Tires starting to go, pace yourself. In the mirror I see that confounded white third gen... it's Valentin... Rats! It's J. Lo. Man the kid is quick. I put the crop to her and try to stay away. Double clutching into third, tires getting gone, crunching into fourth. I think the first wave was as he went buy. I give chase for a couple laps to no avail. I feel ok but the car doesn't. And then it won't shift. Oh wait, it will, kinda. Then the flashback... why is it so hard to turn the car? Crap, no power steering; at least the car isn't full of smoke and isn't over heating. However the chase on the 3 is over. Now I'll just try to hold onto second. Gear that is; or third, just pick one. So for about 3 laps no power steering and third gear. Down the straight into the Bitch I try fourth and end up with revs... no forward motion. Well crap. Car is NOT going into gear and there is a race going on that I'm not messing up. I still have some speed so I just drive it up the hill toward a station out of harms way. And a second wave for Jason next time by.

They bring the flat tow and drag me to tech?!? What??? Densmore wisely said, "You're got to first finish to finish first." Apparently with enough attrition, broken Orange can still make weight and be pushed onto the podium, just not very fast.

Wow... what a weekend. First ever win(s). Pitted with the Toolbreakers which was awesome. Raced some new friends, drank some beer(s)-ritas, and broke the car.

It must have been Hallett.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Sun going down on The Bitch and another great weekend at Hallett. Thanks for all the great racing and shenanigans - it was awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MPHoldway; 06-14-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    This was my first trip to Hallett. With the reputation of the track, "the Bitch", I was a bit nervous.

Got there on Thursday night for some CBP on Friday. By the end of the day I was feeling pretty comfortable with the track, especially since the morning sessions were in the wet.

Was I ever wrong. The practice on Friday simply meant that I knew where the line was, it didn't mean that I could ever get to it during a race! Add me to this list of those with a permanent grin after the weekend!

Race 3 was the one that I'll remember. I went off in Turn 6/7 (Dam Turn?) and fell back to last. Caught and tried to get around Randy for several laps and noticed that RayBob had spun - uh oh, here he comes. I got sideways coming out of the Bitch on the second to last lap and he was on my bumper. Get the white flag and I am defending like crazy. Randy goes to the inside in the last turn and so I go outside hoping for a good run. RayBob follows Randy inside - uh oh again!

Across the stripe:

Randy - 16:12.651
    Wayne - 16:13.048
    RayBob - 16:13.161

I sure would like a pic of that finish!
    -Wayne
    -CMC #85

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Powell View Post
    Mitch, Morgan, Boudy, Steve(last lap pass Haha), Ken, Greg, Randy you guys are amazing clean close racers my hat is off to you WOW
    Very cool......... back atcha

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Wow...what a weekend! Things started off pretty good in Friday practice but went south that afternoon with the fuel pump intermittently cutting out. Tried several things including a new pump and basically worked on the car all day Saturday. Thought I had it licked just just as the field was leaving grid for race 2 so threw my gear on and went out in the middle of the race to test it. 2 laps in it started acting up again and got progressively worse. Came back in all kinds of pissed off and wired the pump differently to bypass the factory harness while Mindy literally ran to the tower to get me registered for the charity race. The car ran good the first lap so I just started flogging it lap after lap to see how it held up. Ended up chasing down the other cars and winning! Huge thanks to Mindy for running into town for a new pump and to Dave, Mitch, Sam, and Kevin Webb (cake eater) for all the help and good ideas.

Sunday morning I try to go get gas about an hour before race 3 and it blows the PCM fuse. Twice. Figured that out with some help from Dave Francis, fixed it and made it to grid on time (finally). I started in P2, got by the pole sitter on the outside of turn 1 and started to build a gap. Frank was kind enough to spin in the bus stop the next lap (thanks again Frank - I owe you for that one!) which widened the gap but Marshall starting closing in a lap or two later. Gave it everything I had but it wasn't long before he was within striking distance. Saw more of my mirrors than the track but kept it together and was able to hold him off for my first AI win! The bucket of water from Jeremy afterwards felt great!

Race 4 I started in P8 but got stuck in the marbles on the outside of turns 1 and 2. It was insane - cars everywhere and nowhere to go. Lost 8 or 9 positions but made my way back up to 7th overall and I think 3rd or 4th in AI when there was a big bang braking for turn 6, brake pedal went to the floor and a big vibration started up. Brought it straight in and parked it at tech. I'm guessing I broke either a front hub or something in the caliper. Made some pretty interesting noises driving it on the trailer and the brakes were all bound up. Getting it on the trailer required about the same technique as a standing start race Had a blast despite all the mechanical issues though....fantastic weekend.

Thanks to Connie, Dave B., Revkah, and all the NASA workers for putting on such a great event. Absolutely love both the track and the "feel" of Hallett. Very special place.
    Last edited by Casey_SS; 06-14-2011 at 12:55 AM.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar
    Anyone know how to get in touch with Corn? Would like some pics.
    AI # 12

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    We will get them posted and with a link to even purchase giant prints.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    Giant prints? Did Reagan talk Michael into putting on the white cowboy outfit late Saturday night?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    Great... I was also curious how to get them from Corn.