Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF I thought this was a done deal?

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    They postponed the vote yesterday. Will now decide on it next week. ALmost 300 people at the meeting both for and against the track. It just irks me that they told the promoters to do it this way and the promoters have done what they said they would and now ACC is refusing to do the same.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    They postponed the vote yesterday. Will now decide on it next week. ALmost 300 people at the meeting both for and against the track. It just irks me that they told the promoters to do it this way and the promoters have done what they said they would and now ACC is refusing to do the same.
    It irks you that politicians lie? Really?

Yep. Just old fashioned I guess. All I ask of people is to do the things they say they will. Apparently that is just too much trouble for politicians.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrewmr2 View Post
    hell we'll let them hold some hippie festivals there if they want - just let 'em finish building it already!
    That was in my email that I sent to the city council reminding them of what could be done at the facility for the other 360 days per year. I tried to list out all the benefits that would outweigh the obvious negatives of holding an event of this size. And yes, that included all the smaller event organizations (oh say NASA) that would be interested in using the facility throughout the year.

The head stuck in the sand issue is that Austin already fills all their hotel rooms to capacity every weekend and has no use for more tourism.....
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    The head stuck in the sand issue is that Austin already fills all their hotel rooms to capacity every weekend and has no use for more tourism.....
    Anyone have Jay Carley's contact information. I know he's in the hotel biz. Maybe he needs to get down to Austin and build some hotels to support the F1 efforts since they apparently are at capacity...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer edrock96GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    I wonder if they compare that year by year, being since 1st Cav will be pretty much all deployed for the rest of the year. I'm sure a good chunk of Austin's "tourism" is just us getting rooms for the weekend so we don't have to drive back that night.
    Eddie Rock

#21 AI '96 GT

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I received this note today.....

Dear Friends,
    We are now truly coming around the last corner on the final lap of this race! Our opponents are playing downright dirty with funding assistance from several interest groups from inside and outside the State. They have resorted to filing frivolous lawsuits, spreading mis-truths to incite fear and we must not be deterred.

The Major Events Trust Fund is ALL performance based. Every other large city in Texas has benefited from it several times including Houston in April (Final Four) and Dallas in February (Super Bowl). Austin finally has an event hand delivered to them to be able to participate.

COTA has gone two steps further than any other event has ever gone. COTA is putting up all the risk for the city of Austin and has agreed to the “green” demands that no other sporting facility of any kind on the planet has ever even remotely had to consider. This Wednesday June 28th at 10:00am at City Hall is the MOMENT OF TRUTH!

The show of support last week was incredible but we need even more this Wednesday. If at all possible, please come show your support in person by signing up in favor of the F1 project and speaking if you so choose. 1,100 jobs and over $4 Billion dollars to the economy over the next 10 years are at risk…and it is at NO cost to the city.

Even if you do not reside in Austin or Texas, please take the time to show your support for the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix project.We have started Ã*our own petitionß to show the Austin City Council that there are lots of people supporting the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix project. Please take a couple of minutes to visit the link and sign the petition in favor of Austin Hosting the 2012 Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Your voice is powerful and you will be heard. Forward this message to your friends and family. Ask them to stand behind us and help bring F1 back to the United States of America. Also, please continue sending letters to council members at their addresses below.

Lee.Leffingwell@ci.austin.tx.us<mail...i.austin.tx.us>; Chris.Riley@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:C...i.austin.tx.us>; Mike.Martinez@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto...i.austin.tx.us>; Laura.Morrison@ci.austin.tx.us<mailt...i.austin.tx.us>; Bill.Spelman@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:...i.austin.tx.us>; Sheryl.Cole@ci.austin.tx.us<mailto:S...i.austin.tx.us>

Thank you,
    Friends of Formula 1 Austin Texas
    Posted By Vance Facundo

I sent my 2 cents worth to the city council.
    If you're going to be DUMB you gotta be TOUGH

Approved! YAY!

All right! Bout time politicians got something right.
    2012- Broke with no car.