Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMC Mustang guys - inside please!

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27 View Post
    Something MUST be wrong with the way cars are being checked... Seems like this happens alot...
    I offer that as much blame can be placed on me for missing non-legal parts as can be placed on folks who fail to read the rules. This rule (and many like it) are pretty clear. Not much to "read into" or "gray area" in this one.

When you guys are ready to present your cars for inspection Friday morning and stay at impound post race right up to grid time for the next race and well into the evening after the track goes cold Sat and Sun, then hold me liable for missing these items. This method would likely result in more folks being unhappy then what we have now w/ those who seem to be unable to handle being told thier car has illegal parts/mod's on it. I don't recall hearing of any other place to race that would post on the local class forum a notice like this one, or a one-on-one conversation requesting the car to be made legal prior to the next event while not issueing a DQ on the spot. We all want 100% legal cars to show up - we have had this conversation just a couple years ago and it was clear that as a group we wanted legal cars. But none of us are willing to do what it takes to ensure this. We don't want to spend hours in impound, we don't want to show up a day earlier, we don't want to "rat out" our friends. We wanted folks DQ'ed for infractions. What we do is bitch about anything a Director does to prevent having to do all that. It is my fault I pointed out the MM rear shock mounts are not legal, and not JK's for installing them? It's my fault I didn't sit down a have "read the rules to my CMC racers hour" at each event. I'm pretty sure we have a much more "legal" group of cars than we have ever had. Much better than those days of CMC Directors w/ illegal parts and the fix was to sign your logbook stating you were OK to run them as well, but only doing so once they were caught.

So yes, there is an issue w/ the way cars are being checked. We are guys who race for fun, w/ folks who run the series for fun. So far this year about 3 folks have done a great job at trying to make this zero fun for me.

At this point, I've said all I plan on saying. You want to talk about this with me, call me or talk w/ me at MSR-H in 2012.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post

So yes, there is an issue w/ the way cars are being checked. We are guys who race for fun, w/ folks who run the series for fun. So far this year about 3 folks have done a great job at trying to make this zero fun for me.

At this point, I've said all I plan on saying. You want to talk about this with me, call me or talk w/ me at MSR-H in 2012.
    I'm sorry Glenn for being one of the three A-Holes. Just to be clear I don't have a problem with this. Notice any more post from me on the subject? I just wanted to know who told/asked you about them because I was looking into them. I don't have a dog in this fight.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    From the Maximum Motorsports Catalog:

Maximum Motorsports 1994-04 Mustang Caster Camber Plates, black powdercoat finish. MM 4-bolt caster/camber plates provide independent adjustment of camber and caster.

Benefits
    • Aids proper front alignment, improves performance.
    • Lowered Mustangs can be aligned to factory specifications.
    • Provides a wider range of camber adjustment than is otherwise possible.
    • Negative camber may be increased for competition.
    • Provides caster adjustment (otherwise not adjustable).
    • Allows greatly increasing caster for improved straight-line stability and cornering ability.
    • Suitable for coil-over conversion.
    • Allows increasing bump travel.
    • Caster and camber are easily adjusted at the top of the strut tower.
    • Double-adjustable. Camber is adjustable without affecting caster.
    • Spherical bearing mount eliminates deflection and precisely locates the strut shaft, while still allowing the articulation required for steering and suspension movement.
    • Improves steering response and dynamic alignment stability, by eliminating deflection allowed by the stock rubber-bushed upper strut mount.
    • Bolts on. Drilling of one hole in each strut tower is required.

Are these caster/camber plates going to be illegal now too? These, or other similar units, have been are more cars than you can imagine including my old one and likely the new one. The caster/camber plates allow for an adjustment beyond "stock" for just about every possible strut top geometry including shock/strut travel (increased bump travel from the catalog description). Seems like some thought is in order on the rear shock mount as the front strut mount is suscept to the same interpretation and nobody would make the argument that the front strut caster/camber plates are illegal and should be removed.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    From the Maximum Motorsports Catalog:

Maximum Motorsports 1994-04 Mustang Caster Camber Plates, black powdercoat finish. MM 4-bolt caster/camber plates provide independent adjustment of camber and caster.

Benefits
    • Aids proper front alignment, improves performance.
    • Lowered Mustangs can be aligned to factory specifications.
    • Provides a wider range of camber adjustment than is otherwise possible.
    • Negative camber may be increased for competition.
    • Provides caster adjustment (otherwise not adjustable).
    • Allows greatly increasing caster for improved straight-line stability and cornering ability.
    • Suitable for coil-over conversion.
    • Allows increasing bump travel.
    • Caster and camber are easily adjusted at the top of the strut tower.
    • Double-adjustable. Camber is adjustable without affecting caster.
    • Spherical bearing mount eliminates deflection and precisely locates the strut shaft, while still allowing the articulation required for steering and suspension movement.
    • Improves steering response and dynamic alignment stability, by eliminating deflection allowed by the stock rubber-bushed upper strut mount.
    • Bolts on. Drilling of one hole in each strut tower is required.

Are these caster/camber plates going to be illegal now too? These, or other similar units, have been are more cars than you can imagine including my old one and likely the new one. The caster/camber plates allow for an adjustment beyond "stock" for just about every possible strut top geometry including shock/strut travel (increased bump travel from the catalog description). Seems like some thought is in order on the rear shock mount as the front strut mount is suscept to the same interpretation and nobody would make the argument that the front strut caster/camber plates are illegal and should be removed.
    If I remember the rules talk about the front CC plates being okay but nothing about anything for the rears.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I'm sorry Glenn for being one of the three A-Holes. Just to be clear I don't have a problem with this. Notice any more post from me on the subject? I just wanted to know who told/asked you about them because I was looking into them. I don't have a dog in this fight.

JJ
    Thanks Jerry. I am not upset over that issue anymore, but I did make this more "not fun" there for a while. The bad comes w/ the good.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    ... I am not upset over that issue anymore, but I did make this more "not fun" there for a while. The bad comes w/ the good.
    Glenn, I for one appreciate the time you have put in on this and it really sucks that you have to take any bad at all..same goes to Dave, Al, Todd, and certainly all the volunteers in NASA. Forget the cliche of it being a thankless job...it shouldn't be. We would not have the luxury to bitch if it wasn't for your time and talent.

UNDERSTANDING (i.e. asking for clarification if not 100% clear) and Playing within the rules is ALWAYS the responsibility of the sportsman, not the official!

Now, where's that post about the stupid Toyo contingency...is that a rule yet or do I still have time to bitch
    Last edited by BlueFirePony; 12-11-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: just to be clear

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post

JJ
    Im hoping Im not being considered an "a-hole" or a "drama queen" for posting what I knew about these on here. Not gonna lose any sleep over it mind you but it is a discussion forum so I was discussing what I had been told about them to try and put the info out there.

Anyway, just letting you know it wasnt my intent to piss anyone off if I did.
    Last edited by jdlingle; 12-11-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: hit post before I was done typing
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    reason: Hit post before i was done typing
    rookie

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27 View Post
    rookie
    of the year!
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    of the year!
    Nothin' but net.