Thread: Ford Racing ABS Installation

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Wait, you had to flare brake lines to make this work? See, AI has just gone over the top. Next thing you know people are going to move suspension pickup points around and other things that might get your hands dirty. I'd much rather spend $90k for a new car than have to spend thousands making an old car better... ...sigh...

I'm interested to see how this works. I'm not afraid of the swap/fabrication that you've done so far. (Well, I'm a little afraid of having to make all those splices you made not leak.) I almost pulled the trigger on the parts a while back. I'm afraid of what it might take to get the computer happy with the setup so that it works. Got my fingers crossed for you. Anxiously waiting for a track update...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Richard,
    I know about getting my hands dirty. I've had to wash them a few times... Where is this series headed when you have to get your hands dirty to stay competitive... Geesh!

I have a few single flares on the old setup and they have been durable , so I'm hoping I will have the same luck with these. I just can't see spending $300 on a double flaring tool.

I should be at the track in two weeks to test and I will let you know how it goes.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Double flare tools can be had for way less than $100. I think I paid Around $20 for mine.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=flare+tool

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Double flare tools can be had for way less than $100. I think I paid Around $20 for mine.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=flare+tool
    I have one that is made by KD that I bought over 25 years ago that works perfect. I doubt I paid over $20.00 for it. If you want I will look for it and bring it to MSRH?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFUQ8wIwAA#

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 01-02-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added link to KD tool

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I have one that is made by KD that I bought over 25 years ago that works perfect. I doubt I paid over $20.00 for it. If you want I will look for it and bring it to MSRH?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFUQ8wIwAA#

JJ
    Jerry,
    That would be great. Then I can redo the HCU lines with double flares.
    Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Great to see some good old fashioned Texas ingenuity!!!
    American Iron Series - National Director

Okay folks, I'm back from testing. The day was cold (55-60-deg), so there wasn't enough heat in the track to get the tires up to good temp, so no track records fell today. I was approx 2 seconds off my lap record, but my brother (CMC driver) was also off pace an equivalent amount, so I figure we were still at "qualifying" lap speed. The ABS system works as designed and here are my thoughts:

Initial bite:
    Much more agressive than the SN95 unit. It felt like I was going to suck the fillings out of my teeth. Very nice.

Feel "in" the ABS:
    This was very different from the SN95 unit. The car "hunted" around quite a bit, especially the rear two channels. After watching years of Continental Tire and Koni Challenge and seeing the cars be very twitchy under braking, I now understand what they are feeling.

Release:
    Well, this is an area that you have to be careful with. If you aren't too deep into the ABS, it isn't too bad, but if you are heavy into the unit, the release is very abrubt and will upset the rear of the car (I looped it once under heaving braking to see what would happen). I think that a pad with a little softer release characteristics may help out.

Overall Impression
    This will take a bit of time to "learn" the characteristics of the system. I'm not 100% convinced that it's a "class killer", however I will need to evaluate again in the rain. The local track I used (Motorsports Ranch - Cresson) is a HIGHLY polished ashphalt track that is down right "ice rink" in the rain, so I can figure out how it works under "extreme" conditions... more to come on that point.

All in all, I had approx a little over an hour of track time today so there is a bunch more that still needs to be worked out for me to utilize the system 100%. Also, this was my first time on track since early October, so I was shaking off the cobwebs a bit myself...

A note on my setup:
    '89 Hatchback
    316/332 HP/TQ
    3100lbs
    Splitter/Wing
    StopTech ST40 13" with PFC01's (Front)
    Stock GT Varga 1-piston with PFC97's (Rear)
    425lb front coil overs
    325lb rear coil overs
    SN95 V6 front bar (endlinks almost completely loose)
    No rear bar
    Maximum Motorsports K-Member, Foward Offset FCA's (SN95 length)
    Racecraft 2" drop spindles
    Griggs Torque Arm/Panhard Bar
    Marshall Mosty