Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
Guys,
There are two 5/8" grade 8 bolts holding four 20# plates. I have this setup on both sides of the car. There is a 0.100" steel backing plate welded to the inside of the car and the bolt head/washer combo is welded to that. I have nylock nuts, loctite, and torque seal on the nuts holding the ballast plates, so I can use the torque seal to easily do a visual for tightness. I'll invite anyone to crawl under the car and bitch...

If I get a bunch of backlash, I can add a "ballast safety loop" out of steel strap, welded to the car. This ballast, for me at least, will be considered permanent because it was a bitch to install.

I DID try to convince the AI Directors to allow me to build a ballast "tub" that would fit through a hole in the floor, so the ballast would be contained. The directors didn't like the idea and thought bolting it under the car would be fine.
I welded a 6x6 piece of 1/8" steel on the inside of the car as backing plate, drilled a hole and used it as a spintech muffler mount.
The weight of the muffler ripped the sheet metal where the outer edges of my backing plate was attached.

I can only imagine what 80lbs of steel is going to do to 20g sheet metal.

Oh wait ... this is a Mosty car. You guys are used to shit falling off ...