Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Well, did a leakdown on mine toiday and #7 and #8 are trouble. Both had oil soaked black plugs... Also, there wasn't enough compression to even register on the leakdown. It was blowing all down the crankcase...

Pulled the motor and will be dropping the long block off at Richard Painter's tomorrow for a full tear down and diagnosis...

I figured I would get more from this than ECR and Saturday at MSR-H...
    I hate to tell you I told you so. Once I saw that the dipstick blew out, I knew you had a interal problem.
    Sorry, but I bet it will a somewhat cheap fix (new pistons?)

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar

Ruh Roh

I may joining the casualty list. Car died twice today trying to back it out of the garage. Stumbles and falls flat on its face while idling, which it started doing on Sunday, but not this bad. Have fulid all over the bellhousing and exhausts as well as around the PVC and EGR valve openings on the valve covers. It doesnt look the same as the same as the oil that I drained today but it still looks like oil to me. I guess its possible it could be transmission fluid. I am absolutely freaked out right now trying to not panic thinking about possible issues.

Oil that came out was clean (no water in it) so I assume that means I dont have any headgasket issues as those do not appear to be the source of the leak. But the weird places that fluid is at are really confusing me. Any ideas where to look first 4.6 guys? (Or anybody that knows more about engines than me, which means everybody)
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I hate to tell you I told you so. Once I saw that the dipstick blew out, I knew you had a interal problem.
    Sorry, but I bet it will a somewhat cheap fix (new pistons?)
    Glenn,
    I figured it wasn't good at the time, but I had no choice but to drive it like I stole it... I'm crossing my fingers it's easy and not too involved. I have complete faith in Richard to come up with the cause of death after the post morteum inspection. The motor is already 0.030 over and these blocks only like going to 0.040... If it needs pidtons, it's gonna be the "last dance" for this block once re-ringing doesn't work anymore...

When a new block is needed, at least I have the expensive stuff already (crank and rods). They are only at 0.010 under so they have some ways top go.

**finger's crossed**
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by jdlingle View Post
    I may joining the casualty list. Car died twice today trying to back it out of the garage. Stumbles and falls flat on its face while idling, which it started doing on Sunday, but not this bad. Have fulid all over the bellhousing and exhausts as well as around the PVC and EGR valve openings on the valve covers. It doesnt look the same as the same as the oil that I drained today but it still looks like oil to me. I guess its possible it could be transmission fluid. I am absolutely freaked out right now trying to not panic thinking about possible issues.

Oil that came out was clean (no water in it) so I assume that means I dont have any headgasket issues as those do not appear to be the source of the leak. But the weird places that fluid is at are really confusing me. Any ideas where to look first 4.6 guys? (Or anybody that knows more about engines than me, which means everybody)
    Are you sure you didn't spit out the PCV valve and are spewing oil from that as well as pullinh in unmetered air (causing the idle issues)? If so, then you need to figure out why it puked it out...
    Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about all the badness, good luck to all. And by the way I had the steeda underdrive set on my car when the oil pump failed at MSRH several years ago. FMR

Jerry,
    Found this block... Don't know if it helps though. I'm not current on 4.6 stuff...

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....408fd2bc0fd93d
    Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Jerry,
    Found this block... Don't know if it helps though. I'm not current on 4.6 stuff...

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....408fd2bc0fd93d
    Matt has one like this. For now to keep cost down I bought David Loves iron block 2000 4.6 he bought off Craig's list. It came out of a Cobra kit car with twin turbos. I have been working on it all weekend. I bought a new oil pump for $300.00 with the hardened gears (even though I'm going to run the stock balancer so I doubt I need it) and I'm installing my Canton oil pan. Changing the oil pump is a big job since you have to remove the front cover and all the timing chains and tensioners. DL's engine looks really good. The only issue so far is the guy burned the shit out of the clutch and toasted the flywheel. No worries I have another. I owe DL big time for selling it to me.

I hope to build up another aluminum block engine maybe in the off season.

FYI,
    The stock balancer is over 7" in diameter. The Steeda is just under 4.5".

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 02-06-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Well, it went lean on #8 and scorched the block between #7 and #8. Took a chunk of the piston of #8 above the top ring and slammed it into the head a bunch. We are trying to figure out if the block is trashed... Obviously will need new pistons and an overbore at a minimum. Heads will need to be cleaned up (#8) and decked...

Will post pics later. Can't get to photo sites from work...

Why do we do this again???

Marshall Mosty

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Look on the bright side, if you bore it out more, that's a few less ounces on the nose of the car!

If it's too bad, maybe just sleeve that one cly?
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Look on the bright side, if you bore it out more, that's a few less ounces on the nose of the car!
    I'm adding 75lbs. to the nose of the 55 going back to an iron block.

JJ