Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four race format. Every day, every time.

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    There's nothing wrong with doing it the same every time, but there's a sanctioning body out there that sticks to what they have done the same since the 50's and it's really turning off their competitors. Easy to manage, but not creative. Businesses that don't stay innovative are usually destined to fail.
    LOL! TX has always done it differently than the other regions with 4 races instead of 2 races, yet you are telling us we should consider doing it like all the other regions do because the SCCA doesn't hasn't changed in 60 years. Sounds like TX is the innovator here?!

and for reference...the scca runs 2 races per weekend....
    Last edited by AI#97; 06-10-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    We did try the three race per weekend several years ago, but it wasn't liked very well. The theory of tire management sounds good, but realistically didn't change much...except make the last half of the race a HPDE session when the cars got all spread out.

I love the Hallett format and the one 40 minute race. I wouldn't be opposed to another 40 minute race ... But not at tracks like TWS where we already get separated in a 25 minute race.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Could I do 5 races in a weekend?

Wait. We have some teams in other race groups. Not sure of the relevance here.

The only way to effectively get some longer races in is to scrap either one race or the warm/up and qual. I've got a plan for TWS in Sept. I'll just do it. Boycott if you want to and not race. Or do it and let me know if it worked or not. If you really don't like it, I'll hang up my hat and retire.
    Last edited by nasa-rm; 06-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasa-rm View Post
    I've got a plan for TWS in Sept. I'll just do it. Boycott if you want to and not race. Or do it and let me know if it worked or not. If you really don't like it, I'll hang up my hat and retire.
    You talking about this kind of give/take? HAH! Or the email that Glenn sent out letting us know 2 weeks before that the Summer Shootout format was totally different than what we have done in the past?

I'm just messing with you Dave but do want to offer suggestions. Asking us what we would like and offering up your suggestions would be better than telling us the format has changed at Hallett after we have already registered. Maybe I'm from the if it ain't broke camp, but I look at Hallett and think that is one of the best (and attended) CMC/AI events. Now is it because of the shootout Nats. style format or because of the venue? I like to think its both.
    Now could you create a different format at TWS in Sept. that people have fun and works great? Sure. As long as its stated ahead of time then people can decide if they want to attend and how to prepare the car. I can sure see the 4 race deal being important to a team situation which I think we have 3 teams in CMC which roughly equates to over 20% of the average CMC field this year. Of course there have been times when I skip the 4th race so I can see some appeal to a long Sunday race. At least I'm considering trying a different veg. Dave. But don't bother trying to get me to drink Keystone, Killians, etc-I have to draw the line somewhere.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Dave, don't leave, but if you do, put me in charge. I will bring LeMons hilarity to Thunder group. Think bribes for starting grid, wheel of misfortune for contact, etc...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Dave, don't leave, but if you do, put me in charge. I will bring LeMons hilarity to Thunder group. Think bribes for starting grid, wheel of misfortune for contact, etc...
    You do that and car goes up for sale that very moment. I hate LeMons........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    except make the last half of the race a HPDE session when the cars got all spread out.
    This happens to you during the last half? I'm usually by myself after the first few laps...

If all the groups switched to 3 races (one long one on Sunday), then we wouldn't leave the track any earlier than we do now.

Since most of us are budget racers, and many of our cars are 20 year-old crap, I prefer 4 (or more!) shorter races. That way I can break something, miss a race, but still get to run another one. As said, the first several laps are far more fun than the last few, with a few exceptions out there. YMMV.

If we really wanted to do something different, I'd be fine with a 3 lap shoot-out, then restack the field and go again. Yes, we'd lose 3 minutes restacking, but it's less than a warmup/cooldown period. This could be accomplished in a 30 minute window. I'm thinking the checkered flag waves, and the lead car travels the ~2 minutes around to the start/finish line and waits on a second standing start for ~1 minute while everyone else catches up.

My buddy runs the 40 minute Miata races, and he spends the last 30 minutes following the same car. For that punishment, he deserves to leave the track early!
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    LOL! TX has always done it differently than the other regions with 4 races instead of 2 races, yet you are telling us we should consider doing it like all the other regions do because the SCCA doesn't hasn't changed in 60 years. Sounds like TX is the innovator here?!

and for reference...the scca runs 2 races per weekend....
    Don't MAKE me go "other regions" on you guys. I'll start changing the direction of the race on the track 1/2 way through.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I'm up for surprises. GO FOR IT! Trying new things is a GOOD thing every once in a while.