CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Site AdminGrass-Passer cjlmlml's Avatar

Weight

Case Closed

17x8 = 17 lbs

17x10 = 21 lbs
    AI # 12

Trust me, I wouldn't run the 5zigen if it wasn't the only wheel that clears the big 4 pot Brembo brakes. While I have never stress cracked one, the flex is too great. Now, if you run across some old FN01R-F's at anything close to a reasonable price and they fit, buy them. They are the forged version and one of the strongest race wheels made and a 17x9 was less than 15lbs. Big problem was they were very expensive, up there close to the BBS range and didn't sell well so they quit making them. Great wheel though.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    At my last track event at TWS I found a big crack in one of my Konig wheels. There was no noise or vibration to clue me into this pending disaster. A closer examination found several small cracks starting in several spokes in multiple wheels. To prepare for the weekend I had flipped the tires on the rims so they had been cleaned and inspected very recently.

This is no real news as this seems to be the typical failure for these rims when they have reached the end of their life. This is just a reminder that stuff wears out and bad things could happen if you don't keep an eye out.

This is just the price you pay when you drive like I do... FLAT OUT!!!

Time to get the JB Weld out... :shock:

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP

Time to get the JB Weld out... :shock:

Richard P.

JB Weld gets so messy... duct tape ought to do it, its even the right color.

Good catch Richard.
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Just a reminder to keep checking the critical bits of your race car. At Hallett, I found cracks in the replacement set of Konig wheels that I had picked up for cheap after the failure of my last set. This set of wheels had approximately 17 track days on them before the cracks started to propagate.

More interesting this time was the way that I found the cracks. I had cleaned my wheels with a citrus degreaser a couple of days before the event. While inspecting the wheels during a tire swap on Saturday, I had found that the brake dust was more attracted to the degreaser that had wicked into the cracks. It highlighted the cracks nicely. Wiping away the brake dust showed no visible cracks.

It was a bit disconcerting that I had three sessions of racing at Hallett left to go in the weekend without any replacement wheels but my past experience has shown that I had a bit more time left on the wheels. After those three sessions, the cracks are now barely visible by eye, BTW…

Anyway, that’s my track tip for the day. Clean your wheels right before the event with a citrus degreaser and watch the brake dust for potential failures.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    before the cracks started to propagate.
    Seriously? "propagate"?...

Leave it to the "rocket man"... like a sound bite after the last shuttle disaster... "Everything was going as planned till crap started to propagate"...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Love AI27 View Post
    Seriously? "propagate"?...

Leave it to the "rocket man"... like a sound bite after the last shuttle disaster... "Everything was going as planned till crap started to propagate"...
    Not sure that one is fair David. Certainly not true.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Not sure that one is fair David. Certainly not true.

JJ
    I had a long conversation with someone from NASA the other day... He was trying really hard to convince me that they really had no idea that the wing was damaged... I couldn't believe he would say that... it was all over the TV... maybe I'm wrong...