Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fourth Gen Camaro Front Hubs

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Just my opinion regarding the cost. I compare it partly to the big brake kits.
    I paid $2k for the big brake kit and yes, I feel it gives "some" performance advantage but the main thing I am pleased about is the durability and wear of the pads / rotors. With the 2-piston setup I would go through a set of pads ever 2 or 3 events, depending on track. I would also go through 2 sets of rotors / year. That is $200 on rotors and about $650 in pads / year.
    After switching to the big brake kit I ran the original rotors for 2 1/2 years and then bought a new set. The old rotors are still good and I keep them as a backup pair. I also go through a set of front pads about every 5 events now. I would say I spend about $500 / year on 1 1/4 sets of pads as well as some cost for the rotor wear. That is a savings of about $350/year plus WAY less maintenance on pad changes, fluid change, swapping out cracked rotors at the track, etc.
    I have run the big brake kit for right at 3 years now so that is a saving of about $1,000. I am 1/2 way to paying off the kit. :^)

I see the hub kit of $1,200 being expensive but the savings will add up in a hurry if it keeps you from replacing hubs every event or two. I just hope this gets approved with the RCR's b/c the lack of maintenance and better safety would be well worth the cost!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    Thanks, Jerry. This is a pretty complicated machined part. Much more complicated than I originally anticipated when I started the design. Attachment 1292
    If you have prints I have several machine shops we deal with. I could get you a few quotes just to make sure you are getting a good deal. This is not a part I can help with.

JJ

Print sent
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I've had good hub life so far, but part of that is not driving the car hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I see the hub kit of $1,200 being expensive but the savings will add up in a hurry if it keeps you from replacing hubs every event or two. I just hope this gets approved with the RCR's b/c the lack of maintenance and better safety would be well worth the cost!!
    With the brake ducts actually connected, I get pretty good pad and rotor life too for the number of events I make a year.

There's plenty of room in the rules to spend money because you can or just want to - seat, belts, fire system, custom wiring, wing/spoiler, paint, wheels, etc. This one at least adresses a known weakness in the cars.

IF (big if) the adapter cost $1 would this be rejected? If the answer screams "no," we should give racers the choice.
    Last edited by Fbody383; 10-03-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: 'cause i can... it's DLove's fault...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    I've had good hub life so far, but part of that is not driving the car hard enough.

With the brake ducts actually connected, I get pretty good pad and rotor life too for the number of events I make a year.

There's plenty of room in the rules to spend money because you can or just want to - seat, belts, fire system, custom wiring, wing/spoiler, paint, wheels, etc. This one at least adresses a known weakness in the cars.

IF (big if) the adapter cost $1 would this be rejected? If the answer screams "no," we should give racers the choice.
    I am with Dave... not competitive advantage then I don't see an issue.

I have great pad life. I usually buy one new set each year and on occassion buy two sets. I don't quite get one full season out of a set.

The hubs are an issue though, especially with new ones. I have much better luck with the ones off of the old cars I have had than I do with new ones.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    W/ a failing hub there is also a massive increase in pad knockback. This is one of the reasons I'm holding off on big brakes since a fixed mount caliper will make this issue much more apparent requiring hub replacement much more often thus increasing an already high cost.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    W/ a failing hub there is also a massive increase in pad knockback. This is one of the reasons I'm holding off on big brakes since a fixed mount caliper will make this issue much more apparent requiring hub replacement much more often thus increasing an already high cost.
    update on SKF hubs.....They are still rocking solid. After the TWS event and a testing day of me driving the car over curbs and rumble strips with a passenger (total weight over 3500) and running sticky BFG rubber....solid. That is 7 track weekends on the hubs/adapters now and generally flogging the car mostly over the transitions at TWS. solid. Best money we have spent on the car in 4 years followed by the painless harness and the watts link I built.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    perhaps time to move forward with either these adapters or Richardson's custom spindles... 2014 cmc rules:

7.32.9 Late GM cars may substitute the OEM front hubs with aftermarket hub assemblies as long as there is
    no change to the location and geometry of the brake rotor/hat to hub mating face plane and the hub
    assembly weighs the same or more than the OEM units

Jim are you selling yours and expect to fill orders piecemeal or does there need to be a group purchase?
    Dust Collector

I have one set of adapters left. After that, I'd need a group order to keep the price reasonable.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    I have one set of adapters left. After that, I'd need a group order to keep the price reasonable.
    Jim, I hope you still have our set in hand. I had to cancel on ECR due to my back going out. I need to cut you a check when I get back home Friday and get it in the mail.

Thanks,

Matt
    Ah, fugg it.