Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Fiddy Cent Medals

Quote Originally Posted by TEXAST1
    I guess I am the only one who likes cool trophies and is willing to pay for them
    Thanks Mixon. Guess my support of your idea wasn't clear? <--- changed to a smiley lol.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar
    Kevin, I think the unwritten message here is not about liking nifty trophies, but rather there are other, more pressing issues that should be addressed first.

Throwing the masses cake to ease their hunger is a band-aid at best.

If all was well and harmony existed, a yellow sticky with "#1" written with a sharpie would be good enough.

It's just for fun, right?

Sorry for missing you Mike.

My point is that I wanted to see what everyone's feeling about cost vs trophies. AS A FELLOW RACER and a Friend to most I thought I would ask about this. I am not fond of the medals as trophies, unless as said earlier, the were a little more upscale or personalized or just overall improved.

What a can of Frickin' worms... I guess I should have been more aware of the snake pit I walked into.

Daron, How much should NASA Charge for HPDE. I don't get invovlved with actual DE charges. I am sure they should need to be inline with the market as you are aware of in Texas.
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAST1

Daron, How much should NASA Charge for HPDE. I don't get invovlved with actual DE charges. I am sure they should need to be inline with the market as you are aware of in Texas.
    Not to speak for Daron, but I would say the same as a Driver's Edge event at around $275-300 a weekend depending on venue.

That being said, I do understand the idea of putting the $200 price point out there to get the masses to give it a try. If there is going to be a price hike, there needs to be a payoff or "something special" to attend a NASA HPDE. Maybe a venue specific T-shirt like the BMW and PCA groups do to highlight the accomplishment of somone taking the risk? Gives them something to brag about at work and ADVERTISE!!!!

I would say that NASATX should appoint "team leaders" charged with advancing a single subject.....List as follows:

1. Advertising...get the NASATX brand out on the street and target attendees for the bleachers or on track. Writeups and carshows are also needing our attendance.
    2. Attend to the race group's needs.....NOT JUST US, but all racers.
    3. Grow the HPDE program to 100+ cars per event. This is part of advertising but if you are going to beat Rick at his specialty of running top notch DE's and attract a following, you are going to have to come up with something unique! This needs some brainstorming given we live in the drag racing belt of the world.
    4. Figure out how to run a race weekend more efficiently and this could even cover better tech inspections over the weekend to prevent dead cars, wrecks or what ever.....eventually, if we want to keep 4 races in a weekend and NASATX does grow to have other run groups, we are going to have to cram in more sessions per day!!!
    5. Check into new venues for racing like Eagle's Canyon and the 4 or 5 other tracks popping up soon. sorry, but I am a little tired of Cresson unless we do the 3.1 soon!!!

As you can all agree, those are big tasks and up till now, Shannon was the only one dealing with them. She is getting help and that is a good sign. I am guilty of it too but instead of being critical, we are just going to have to help out as much as we can.....

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    ...this could even cover better tech inspections over the weekend to prevent dead cars, wrecks or what ever.....

I am a little tired of Cresson unless we do the 3.1 soon!!!
    Matt,
    No tech inspection could have spotted my failing fuel pump from the MSR-C event earlier in the year... The pump was two weekend old. :? I do still feel bad about the carnage that ensued, to a point.

I ran the 3.1 last Sunday and it's not very "race car side by side" friendly... If you were worried about body damage at Mid-O... the 3.1 shouldn't be an option, IMHO.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

All good points.
    Great POSITIVE Attitude.

You are right it is alot for 1 or 2 people to handle.

However, I can see why others might get frustrated...
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll

Jim Pantas or someone in the S.E. region talked a sponser into donating trophies for Road Atlanta. They only have two races a weekend so our demand would be double that ,but it is a idea. Jerry w/3rd place trophy.
    micah bishop TEAM WARHORSE CMC#44

I don't know about the trophies, I have medals and trophies from both NASA and SCCA, not much difference and they are all sitting on a shelf in the shop.

I agree with Adam, I would chip in more, just don't raise entry fees.

I had several talks with Shannon at M-O and one of them was regarding the way that things never got off schedule and is there anything to be learned from nationals that could be taken home. She did bring up a very good point, a lot of staying on schedule was whether the track crews were willing to work a "hot scene" (move cars off when the race is still going on). That is something that NASA Texas has no say, and if the wrecker driver at TWS won't get off his ass and move a car when the track is hot, things slow down. Mid-Ohio had probably better than 20 track support vehicles throughout all of the races and it didn't take them hardly anytime to clear things. Hallett, MSR-C, MSR-H, TWS: one track provided support vehicle.

Just my .02

Dave

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Marshall, it wasn't my intent to point our your issue but it does seem like some of the other classes have questionable cars AND drivers that need review.

Kevin, thanks for kudos but I think this mostly has to do with me looking at situations from outside of MY view given my recent situation. I guess I am feeling up my feminine side...?! :? Somebody bring me a beer before I start going off the deep end!!!!! :lol:

Irwin, Well said! "She did bring up a very good point, a lot of staying on schedule was whether the track crews were willing to work a "hot scene" (move cars off when the race is still going on). That is something that NASA Texas has no say, and if the wrecker driver at TWS won't get off his ass and move a car when the track is hot, things slow down. Mid-Ohio had probably better than 20 track support vehicles throughout all of the races and it didn't take them hardly anytime to clear things. Hallett, MSR-C, MSR-H, TWS: one track provided support vehicle."

Dave, I don't know about your SCCA trophies, but some of mine were fantastic, come to mention it most were out of Division races mostly in the Midwest. My June Sprints trophies from Wizconsin were lazer etched with my name and all in an iron wood plaque. Something worthy of hanging up, All 3 of them :wink: I think those cost almost as much as the $400 entry fee.

:P
    Kmix
    Super Touring One
    NASA Texas Ya'll