Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toyo RR costs????

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    How many heat cycles could you get on a set of 4/5-32 shaved RA1's before they started falling off? What kind of differences in lap times did you see vs. the RA1's?

I'm really wishing I would have brought my RR's this past weekend to compare...
    I always got my RA1's shaved to 5/32 and could get 3 events out of a set (flipping after each event). I felt like they had the exact same grip for the first 15 heat cycles. They maybe dropped of 1/4 of a second at heat cycle #20 and really starting losing about a second / lap around #25.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    This tire budget is about average if not less than most. Gotta pay to play.
    Nope. We could race on just about anything.

My interest is, and always has been, being able to have races in between hanging out with car people and having some food/dring 5 or 6 weekends a year. I could care less about absolute lap times if the field all runs close.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hu
    If this is the case then we can either select another "official" tire or all agree to and run on an unofficial tire and just don't worry about Toyo bucks as a group.
    +1
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    RA1's slow down about the same rate as the RR's seem to be at this point. But I didn't see guys buying new RA1's every event. We always pretty much ran the tire until it was dead.
    Lets see how it works out for us before we all plan to bail.
    Not having to shave a tire is a major plus. This opens the door to any Toyo dealer to sell us tires w/out having to invest in a shaving machine. I could see the price of this tire dropping a bit as more vendors are used to sell them.

But I agree. I would rather run on a tire that lasts all year and be slow, than one that is toast after 1 weekend. As long as we all are on the same tire, I don't see the issue w/ regards to grip.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Yah you don't have to buy new tires all the time. In just saying if you want to win every time your best chance is on new tires. The life span and grip characteristics and price are almost the same as the RA1 and tread life lasts the same which is why I don't understand why everyone is all up in arms. No Shaving puts everyone on a more even playing field

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    RA1's slow down about the same rate as the RR's seem to be at this point. But I didn't see guys buying new RA1's every event. We always pretty much ran the tire until it was dead.
    Lets see how it works out for us before we all plan to bail.
    Not having to shave a tire is a major plus. This opens the door to any Toyo dealer to sell us tires w/out having to invest in a shaving machine. I could see the price of this tire dropping a bit as more vendors are used to sell them.

But I agree. I would rather run on a tire that lasts all year and be slow, than one that is toast after 1 weekend. As long as we all are on the same tire, I don't see the issue w/ regards to grip.
    Glenn, what was the fall-off you were seeing with the RA1's?
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Yah you don't have to buy new tires all the time. In just saying if you want to win every time your best chance is on new tires. The life span and grip characteristics and price are almost the same as the RA1 and tread life lasts the same which is why I don't understand why everyone is all up in arms. No Shaving puts everyone on a more even playing field
    I don't recall anyone talking about new RA1's every weekend to be competitive, seems like guys were winning on tires that were pretty old. Oh and they did not cost $1,000 per set hahaha. Aaron, you seem to be a very competitive kind of guy hahaha, and one that seems to have a well funded racing budget hahaha. Most of us in the Texas AI/CMC group are more laid back and not well funded which is why we are here instead of Spec Miata, ST or any other super competitive and pricier groups hahaha. I'm not saying that people here don't want to win hahaha, it just isn't necessarily worth the extra cost on these tires hahaha.

hahaha

hahaha

hahaha
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Aaron, are you saying the RR's have the same fall off as RA1 version 2.0 or version 1.0 from 2005-2008? I remember buying RA1's for $175 ea back in 2005 or so, plus shaving.

And FYI, BFG's are the bomb! I took take offs from Misty's car and put them on the mustang for this last weekend. 23 heat cycles and still usable, but about 1-1.5 seconds off pace. Just no rain tire unless you want KDW's.

NASA CAN'T sign a contract with Nitto per their contract with Toyo. oh well. Run outlaw rules and everyone buy a container of NT-01's. Same or better life than the RA1 version 1.0. I have a set with over 30 heat cycles on it and nearly 1/2 tread left. Also have a couple other sets with 40+ heat cycles and still in great shape. Hell, that 30+ set was on the car in Houston and ran faster than the Hankooks I had and out qual'd some of the ST guys on Hoosier R100's and Yoko Advans. LOL!

I recently scratched the Yoko's and Hankooks off my "to try" list and it sounds like the RR may get scratched off too.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    From a wear prospective, I'm generally happy with the RR's... Now if they heat cycle out, time will tell.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Wear for me is about the same. I only got 3 days (9-12 heat cycles) from my 5/32 shaved RA1s before they dropped off significantly. Heavy cars kill tires, I'm a heavy car (~3400#). I felt the RRs wore about the same, they were losing it by heat cycle 12. I ran them for 6 more cycles just to see the degradation, and they really really lost everything around heat cycle 15. They were still round, looked ok, no cords etc. for cycles 16-18. Almost no grooves left in 3 of 4 tires by heat cycle 18.

With the exception of the price difference I'm paying for 18" vs. 17" (personal choice to switch sizes), my use will be about the same for RR vs. RA1.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    And FYI, BFG's are the bomb! I took take offs from Misty's car and put them on the mustang for this last weekend. 23 heat cycles and still usable, but about 1-1.5 seconds off pace. Just no rain tire unless you want KDW's.
    newly introduced this year - their answer to Hoosier H20, Kumho W710, etc
    http://www.philstireservice.com/bfgo...g-force-kdw-r/
    Ken Brewer; 1994 Toyota MR2 - #6 PTF
    SI wannabe - anyone got a spare money tree?
    "Zoom Zoom Zoom - On any given weekend more Mazdas make optimistic pass attempts than any other brand!"