Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Torque, Now What?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    As much as that Steeda timing adjust helped you, the MSD opti would help me as well. Bolt on and go. Sometimes I wish our rules were more lax. Or that I sucked more at building motors.
    How would the MSD opti help you make more or less power?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    How would the MSD opti help you make more or less power?
    It allows you to tweak the base timing by +/- 6 degrees like the cheater Fords do with the Steeda part.

Blog Entries
    It allows you to tweak the base timing by +/- 6 degrees like the cheater Fords do with the Steeda part.
    OK, good info. to know and I sure hope it never becomes legal which I doubt. The 4.6 needs it to try and get up to the numbers just like the 5.0 or TPI needing parts to get up to the numbers. Since the LT1 and LS1 have no trouble being over it certainly isn't needed.

OH-and you can certainly win races with 250 hp or races and championships with I think 283 or 288 tq like Mosty does. Especially at Hallett.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

OK, good info. to know and I sure hope it never becomes legal which I doubt. The 4.6 needs it to try and get up to the numbers just like the 5.0 or TPI needing parts to get up to the numbers. Since the LT1 and LS1 have no trouble being over it certainly isn't needed.

OH-and you can certainly win races with 250 hp or races and championships with I think 283 or 288 tq like Mosty does. Especially at Hallett.
    250hp carrying an extra 200# because your torque is still high? I ran with ~287ft/lb in 2014 and it didn't seem to hurt me, but my hp was 260 and I didn't have to carry ballast around. With the Fords being so light, I feel it's easier for them to scrape by being low on torque but again, this is where data is king and all I have is a dyno graph.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...psxeo4h30g.jpg

Failing at inserting image directly into the post. The 55 probably shouldn't look at this... and those scales were RIGHT.

Of course I spent a lot of time chasing all the mustangs... gotta get that pig to turn.
    Last edited by Fbody383; 02-04-2016 at 10:02 AM.

I can't see that on Chrome, Firefox, or my phone.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I can't see that on Chrome, Firefox, or my phone.
    Me either today. Plan B in effect... hold pls.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Blog Entries
    250hp carrying an extra 200# because your torque is still high? I ran with ~287ft/lb in 2014 and it didn't seem to hurt me, but my hp was 260 and I didn't have to carry ballast around. With the Fords being so light, I feel it's easier for them to scrape by being low on torque but again, this is where data is king and all I have is a dyno graph.
    Rules don't work that way. Even at the max limit of torque it's only 100 pounds of weight instead of 200. This is good stuff as I'm looking at 9 different dyno runs from an LT1 and every run it made more torque at 3k than at 2k. Torque generally peaked at 3,300 when running legal numbers yet peaked at 4,400 when running hp numbers way over legal. So there is plenty of data out there on cars making the number. I certainly don't know all their setups with regards to underdrive pulleys, exhaust systems,valve lash, etc. So certainly the directors will ask that you test some other variables before considering a rule change.

However, if you get the rules changed that gets me excited. Reason being that I'm also looking at the tq numbers for another LS1 which peaks before 3k as well. So I know some things that I could do to get my torque numbers above the max yet still be under by 3k. I may have also incorrectly stated earlier that the LT1 had better numbers across the board than the LS1 spreadsheets I have as I was only looking above 3k. Below 3k the LS beats the LT by 3-6 tq. Again this data is only from two cars so it can only be taken with a grain of salt.

Dave I can't see your graph either. I'll see if I can get some graphs posted up next week as well.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

dynojet drf files are king if you can host in google drive or something along those lines, then you can load them in winpep and overlay them very easily
    if someone wants to share their drf files I will load them up and overlay with mine for an example.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Rules don't work that way. Even at the max limit of torque it's only 100 pounds of weight instead of 200. This is good stuff as I'm looking at 9 different dyno runs from an LT1 and every run it made more torque at 3k than at 2k. Torque generally peaked at 3,300 when running legal numbers yet peaked at 4,400 when running hp numbers way over legal. So there is plenty of data out there on cars making the number. I certainly don't know all their setups with regards to underdrive pulleys, exhaust systems,valve lash, etc. So certainly the directors will ask that you test some other variables before considering a rule change.

However, if you get the rules changed that gets me excited. Reason being that I'm also looking at the tq numbers for another LS1 which peaks before 3k as well. So I know some things that I could do to get my torque numbers above the max yet still be under by 3k. I may have also incorrectly stated earlier that the LT1 had better numbers across the board than the LS1 spreadsheets I have as I was only looking above 3k. Below 3k the LS beats the LT by 3-6 tq. Again this data is only from two cars so it can only be taken with a grain of salt.

Dave I can't see your graph either. I'll see if I can get some graphs posted up next week as well.
    Derr, I was remembering the number maxxing out both hp and torque. I'll have overlays for stock vs aftermarket y pipe after my next trip to the dyno. Can you post up an LS1 shot? Also, any data you guys can provide will help this as well. I'm kind of Trackmate retarded when it comes to that stuff, but I do plan on capturing some this year and I bet Dave B would give me a down and dirty on how to interpret it. I really don't see the point in penalizing us for torque at a non-competitive engine speed unless they're doing it because the Fords come up short? Remember I'm kind of short-sighted WRT CMC when it comes to this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    dynojet drf files are king if you can host in google drive or something along those lines, then you can load them in winpep and overlay them very easily
    if someone wants to share their drf files I will load them up and overlay with mine for an example.
    I have a Lougle Drive, would you guys be able to access it? Let's make sure Michael is a part of this too, don't want to step on his toes.