Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Msr cresson

Man if that was me I'd have pulled into valet parking at the hotel and propped up at the bar

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    That front end looked like it held up nice through the fence. I can only imagine what was going through the guy's mind in the Ford truck that was pulling out onto the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien View Post
    Found a clip of Craig practicing at Sebring
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yrxrcxTUc

Too soon?
    Nice! Wasn't it Chuck Yeager who said that when crashing is inevitable, find the softest thing you can find and hit it as slowly as possible?

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Found a clip of Craig practicing at Sebring
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yrxrcxTUc

Too soon?
    Been there done that!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    Well, apparently LT1's don't like high volume oil pumps. Found out today the culprit of my retirement after R1 was the oil pump drive gear being pretty chewed up and missing teeth. Going back with a new stock gear and hope it plays nice with a used cam. Optimistic to get it back from the machine shop and in the car for TWS.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Holy fuckin LOL that was spectacular! Were the 2 victims substantially damaged? Looked like a shower of plastic from the vid.
    Oohwee, watching that again is not pretty. How'd Craig come out?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Well, apparently LT1's don't like high volume oil pumps. Found out today the culprit of my retirement after R1 was the oil pump drive gear being pretty chewed up and missing teeth. Going back with a new stock gear and hope it plays nice with a used cam. Optimistic to get it back from the machine shop and in the car for TWS.
    Did you notice if the drive gear's plastic retainer up top was split or not? I've pulled one or two before that were split, not tooo big of a deal but someone out there made a metal insert to reinforce it. I think with the direction it spins the split wouldn't be too big of a deal, but adds piece of mind.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Did you notice if the drive gear's plastic retainer up top was split or not? I've pulled one or two before that were split, not tooo big of a deal but someone out there made a metal insert to reinforce it. I think with the direction it spins the split wouldn't be too big of a deal, but adds piece of mind.
    You should always run a hardened oil pump shaft! They have a metal retainer pined on the assembly.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I started building the first Ford SOHC 4.6 for the 55 I was going to use a high volume pump but after talking to Sean Hyland he told me they made a set of cam covers out of clear polycarbonate. While running the 4.6 with HV oil pump the cam covers filled up with oil........Not good. He did say if you are willing to drill the heads so the oil can get back to the pan faster the HV pump is okay.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I've heard nothing but bad stories about the HV oil pumps, I have never run one. I guess if you run the motor really loose they shouldn't be a big deal, I usually run .0015-.002 on the mains and rods. I suppose they would work well with really light oil too, I run Rotella 5w-40..
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net