Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Watkins Glen

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGoat View Post
    Not sure if there were any DQ for passing under yellow at the start of the race. Who in their right mind made the decision to tell them to throw the green with a standing yellow at the starter stand? /B]
    Same BS happened in an AI qual race back in 2008 at mid Ohio. Aix took the green and immediately had a car off track in the second turn. Some genius throws the green for the LARGE AI field and as the first two rows are passing the corner station in the first turn they toss up a yellow. We see it and back down....then half the field passes us, even under double yellows through the next four turns. The eventual national champion even runs over David Donovan and throws himself into the outside wall. Field lines up for what probably should have been a waved off restart two by two and half the field gets DQ'd and I lose a second place finish. The eventual national champ who passed and had contact which showed me the exhaust under his car, started on the front row for the big race on Sunday and went on to win the championship. If there is one constant about a nasa nationals event is that the officiating/flagging is usually a giant shit show. Don't even get me started about AI in 2009.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Let's not forget the Mid Ohio incident. Mike were you 2 off on the left of that white Mustang in 5th gear on lap 1 up the hill?

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    1/2 to1/4 tire width on.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Too many wall to hit on that track.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Wow that start was terrible! Man-how mad and scared must that guy in the vette been. It was pretty much a green flag start but then you see a guy holding a yellow over to the side. It's a nat champ race so people are going to take the risk that it might have been a mistake. I mean if it was a yellow they should have been waving both flags-but then why in the world would you be waving a green flag when you have a guy stopped sideways on the straight away. They are really lucky that didn't end up bad. I mean all things considering if it was just a pair of flatspotted tires then that's about the best you could ask for throwing the green.

That's a tough spot to get sprayed with dirt for Mike. I'm like Jerry that track is all armco-wouldn't be good for a CMC race. Surprised they don't have any tires in more places in front of the armco. If Mike would have hit tires first then I bet he could have raced.
    I used to really want to go to a nats. But the more I see with how they put so many groups on track, the lack of quality track time, the amount of incidents because people are pushing so hard, and then the haul the less interested I become. Sounds like an interesting bit of info. to know how many laps were turned and how many were green flag throughout all the race groups. At least all of this gets me interested in looking at my car for TWS.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Rookie Cody Powell's Avatar
    I have been to 3 or 4 different nationals at 2 tracks and they have gotten progressively worse, hardly any track time and the rules haven't been enforced. The only reason to go anymore is to run a bucket list track (Laguna Seca)
    Just hangin' with the dudes from Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Powell View Post
    I have been to 3 or 4 different nationals at 2 tracks and they have gotten progressively worse, hardly any track time and the rules haven't been enforced. The only reason to go anymore is to run a bucket list track (Laguna Seca)
    Who is in charge of these national events?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    The nasa champ events yrs ago when they had one race always seemed a lot better run and the prestige and sponsor prizes were always better. Ever since they split into east and west each champ race just seems like another event and doesn't feel as special as it used to. Heck at watkins glen royal purple didn't even offer any kind of prize at all! Which is what most people look forward to is that suit or helmet if you win. I don't know I have been pro NASA for a while now but lately I feel like if I want to go to a real champ race then maybe SCCA is a better run event?
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Heres another view of the Corvette incident:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9OSrHFECxc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Who is in charge of these national events?
    Will has been in charge of some of them.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24