Thread: Texas 2017 Schedule

Hybrid View

COTA is a big deal! Will has brought a national caliber event into the region and it is up to the directors to manage it properly. With my most profound and humble respect, structuring an entire event around one team driven car, or eliminating HPDE revenues are un-realistic expectations.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    COTA is a big deal! Will has brought a national caliber event into the region and it is up to the directors to manage it properly. With my most profound and humble respect, structuring an entire event around one team driven car, or eliminating HPDE revenues are un-realistic expectations.
    I can assure you nothing will be done with respect to COTA that is due to the "one team driven car".

JJ

I was at the recent SVRA nationals which had modern Trans am as support race. TA pitted and gridded from the bottom paddock at entered track at turn 12. Building on that we could grid there and take the green at the normal place. No time lost or wasted with out/in laps. I'd prefer our races hold our traditional format although I'd support a Hallet format for COTA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    I was at the recent SVRA nationals which had modern Trans am as support race. TA pitted and gridded from the bottom paddock at entered track at turn 12. Building on that we could grid there and take the green at the normal place. No time lost or wasted with out/in laps. I'd prefer our races hold our traditional format although I'd support a Hallet format for COTA.
    That makes two of us but I have no issue running with another group to get longer races.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    JJ -

Another option may be to have one driver run in CMC and the other in ST4 (see new ST rules). I think it's unlikely that we will have 4 races at COTA. It may be 3. The schedule is not even close to being discussed at the moment. There are other logistics being worked out including grid area, in/out laps etc. Until we have a better idea of how/where certain things sort out we can't even take a stab at the schedule. Maximizing race time is the goal.

Regarding the mixed group comments - yes, Thunder will have other cars on the track with AI/CMC, and they will split starts. SU or PT cars are the most likely. It will depend on actual entries per class, and we will need to balance things out. Plan on 50-60 cars on track per race group. They may have 75 SM cars alone in Cyclone.

This event is going to be huge, and pricey. I believe this is the most expensive track to rent in the country.

I have no idea what the cost will be but a quick google search showed track prices from around the country. By far and if true COTA is #1 for cost at $50,000 per day for a weekend.

http://blog.motorsportreg.com/global...s#.WDim4U02yJA

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Aaron ran there with SCCA a year or so ago, he could offer some perspective here. I'm also curious what his terminal velocity was.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    JJ -

Another option may be to have one driver run in CMC and the other in ST4 (see new ST rules). I think it's unlikely that we will have 4 races at COTA. It may be 3. The schedule is not even close to being discussed at the moment. There are other logistics being worked out including grid area, in/out laps etc. Until we have a better idea of how/where certain things sort out we can't even take a stab at the schedule. Maximizing race time is the goal.

Regarding the mixed group comments - yes, Thunder will have other cars on the track with AI/CMC, and they will split starts. SU or PT cars are the most likely. It will depend on actual entries per class, and we will need to balance things out. Plan on 50-60 cars on track per race group. They may have 75 SM cars alone in Cyclone.

This event is going to be huge, and pricey. I believe this is the most expensive track to rent in the country.
    Quick question Mike. If we are going to run with other groups why would there not be time for four half hour (at least) races? If you have time for two races one day.......or are you saying one two races per weekend?
    With the expected cost to run this track I can't see paying for running CMC and ST4.
    JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    I'm trying to keep 4 races. I just can't guarantee that at the moment. With the projected number of cars, TT may be split and HPDE 3/4 may get split. So, I lose 2 hrs and 40 minutes in the schedule (essentially). We may have 3 race groups, or 4 race groups. If 4, then there goes another 1 hr and 20 minutes. There's only so much time in the day.