Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need a 5-OH whisperer

Junior Member Rookie
    Another option is to disconnect the O2 harness completely (to avoid firing the ECM), install the A9P computer for troubleshooting. This will help you determine if it is the ECM. One last step before starting with a bump starter (attached to the stater solenoid, not the ignition switch) check your TPS/Key on with the new ECM. Should be in the 90s. If it is let her rip!
    Last edited by Matthew Smith; 12-18-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Junior Member Rookie
    I missed your statement about the TSP reading .15 volts. I would perform the TSP test, it will confirm if the ECM is bad. Here is a link for the test; http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/throttle-position-sensor-tests-2#1[/URL] If it points to the ECM and you find you need an O2 harness for an automatic, let me know and I will see if I have a spare one.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Smith View Post
    I missed your statement about the TSP reading .15 volts. I would perform the TSP test, it will confirm if the ECM is bad. Here is a link for the test; http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/throttle-position-sensor-tests-2#1[/URL] If it points to the ECM and you find you need an O2 harness for an automatic, let me know and I will see if I have a spare one.
    TPS was showing .15V so swapped out with a new one. Now reads 1.05 Key on engine off and getting correct signals per test above.

Swapped out ECM's and confirmed it's not an ECM.

Throwing Hail Mary and thinking I might have a bad TFI harness connector. I lengthened the wires when I did the TFI Relo before TWS. New TFI harness shows up tomorrow at the local O'Reilly and I'm optimistic it's my issue.... We'll see.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Figured I'd update you guys on what ended up being #34's ailment. After swapping computers, verifying all the sensors from the various interwebs troubleshooting guides for the EEC-IV I found this little gem of a guide. http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/...module-tests-1

Turns out the PIP sensor was bad which is what I suspected, then the warranty distributor had a bad PIP sensor, used this LED test to diagnose and it's running again on distributor #3. Now to fix all the other crap that I still have to before MSRH.

Many thanks to all who provided some input, especially to Matt Smith who helped via lots of PM's with different stuff to check.

Any other EFI guys have a class legal replacement distributor they like over the O'Reilly's one?
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34