Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Rules

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I think it's mostly "cover ya ass" verbiage, the only thing that will likely affect us is the requirement for video cameras, which I think is probably a good thing. My GoPro has been acting up lately and sometimes I forget to turn it on, I may be shopping "dash cams" now. Something like this, set it and forget it.
    https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-Dash...=wifi+dash+cam
    Last edited by mach1; 12-23-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If I am required to run video for all sessions, you just lost me as a member.
    Any video I record is mine. You want video, supply the system and personel to keep it charged and turned on.

I have run video and will in the future. It will always be secondary to car prep, driver prep and social aspects of racing.

Sounds like a stupid rule.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Guys,
    This has been out there for a while, whether or not everyone realized it was in the CCR is for each of us to answer personally. I don't think Will is going to ask us to surrender anything as long as we keep doing what we have done so far (last 12+ years).

Will,
    I would challenge the running forward facing video as being mandatory is pretty stiff. What happens if the battery dies mid-session? What happens if I run out of memory on the SD card? What if I forgot to hit "record"??
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Guys,
    This has been out there for a while, whether or not everyone realized it was in the CCR is for each of us to answer personally. I don't think Will is going to ask us to surrender anything as long as we keep doing what we have done so far (last 12+ years).

Will,
    I would challenge the running forward facing video as being mandatory is pretty stiff. What happens if the battery dies mid-session? What happens if I run out of memory on the SD card? What if I forgot to hit "record"??
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    The camera rule sounds good on the surface. When something bad does happen, it's way easier to figure out what happened with good video. Realistically, in application, it will be a complete shit show. Here are a couple of quotes I picked up in a brief search of this site:

Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    Race 3
    The rear view didn't turn out as good as I would have liked. Will get R2 and R4 uploaded tonight. For some reason R1 didn't get recorded.
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Damn, nice work getting that posted so quickly, I didn't get any video at all from the weekend, with all of the car issues, I loaded my camera up for R3 and it wasn't reading my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    Race 3 (forgot to start recording for the start)
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    My battery won't hold a charge. Got approx 1:47 total, so basically just the grid... Trying to find a replacement for TWS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Epic video fail for me this weekend, forgot my cam on Sat, and ran out of batt on Sunday.
    Here is a whopping 1 minute of fame that I took during R3. Completely forgot to charge the camera for Saturday, so missed the drama between me and Ian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Good thing camera refused to work so I don't have video of everybody passing me at ease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulaney View Post
    R1
    Video ended short for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by y5e06 View Post
    gopro crapped out on me. only got 1/2 of R2, half of R3, and a sliver of R4. It would just stop recording.
    online investigation suggests reformatting the SDcard before each event. dunno.

Reliably getting all races on video is really tough, especially if you are a single person operation. Josh tried to record video from his first event. I think he got a couple of laps and quite a bit of footage of his open hood in the paddock before the whole thing crapped out on him. I hope this rule quickly goes the way of mandatory in car radios, which also seemed like a good idea on the surface...

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by 39PitCrew View Post
    So I guess all of the several thousand pictures I've taken in the last five or six years
    aren't actually mine. Don't think I've ever signed anything saying I acknowledge or
    agree to those terms. (Sorry, couldn't figure out a way to say that where it doesn't
    come out sounding really snarky). I'm just an amateur photographer trying to
    improve my craft, an occasional mechanic and diehard car guy looking to hang out
    with a great bunch of folks.
    Not at all the case. NASA events are the perfect place for you to be doing anything like you mention, and we're happy to have you. But if you want to get into the business selling your images, we would have to come to an agreement is all. And thats standard practice for any track or sanctioning body.

See you at the track!
    Last edited by nasawill; 12-24-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
    Will Faules
    Regional Director - NASA Texas

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    If I am required to run video for all sessions, you just lost me as a member.
    Any video I record is mine. You want video, supply the system and personel to keep it charged and turned on.

I have run video and will in the future. It will always be secondary to car prep, driver prep and social aspects of racing.

Sounds like a stupid rule.
    We have something that is without a doubt for the greater good of any driver that could potentially be involved in an incident. I think most can buy into that. Using video is the most fair and reasonable way to assess fault in most situations.
    Will Faules

Guys,

Will,

I agree 1) it sucks to be forced to purchase anything, no matter how much it might cost, 2) it adds to your between session check list and that can suck, and 3) being penalized for a camera stopping or maybe never starting to record sucks. I think I have reasonable solutions to all the issues.

1) Tyler already found what appears to be a very inexpensive solution with the auto start function. The best GoPro of al of them IMO happens to be the cheapest one, the Session. It's $199 and can be setup for one button mode, and can also run off the remote you can mount to the dash (another $79).

2) With the amount of time we spend at several events debating fault for incidents, I think it's very practical to ask everybody, for the greater good, to spend 5-10 minutes of that between session time to make sure a camera with a fresh battery and empty/formatted SD card is ready to go.

3) We're never going to be on the hunt to penalize somebody for not recording. We just want incidents to be easier to review. Video is the best way to do that. Someone will only be penalized if we request their video to review an incident and it cannot be produced. Without penalty, someone with a video that could save your butt could be one of the "it didn't record" types that just doesn't want to give up the video for whatever many reasons some people don't want to share their video..

It sounds like the one issue people like the least is the messing with the camera between sessions. What if I revised the rule to only require recording for the Races and not practice/qual? Would you guys be for or against that? Someone could still run and share video that wanted to, but no penalty for not running video in a non-race session. What say ye? Remember, video can save your butt as much much as it can do you in wether its passing under yellow or getting collected by someone else....
    Will Faules

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    The camera rule sounds good on the surface. When something bad does happen, it's way easier to figure out what happened with good video. Realistically, in application, it will be a complete shit show. Here are a couple of quotes I picked up in a brief search of this site:

Reliably getting all races on video is really tough, especially if you are a single person operation. Josh tried to record video from his first event. I think he got a couple of laps and quite a bit of footage of his open hood in the paddock before the whole thing crapped out on him. I hope this rule quickly goes the way of mandatory in car radios, which also seemed like a good idea on the surface...

Richard P.
    I completely understand. We're not looking to crucify anybody that has a video issue. We just want the most fair way possible to determine faults, and that often takes multiple angles. I've had camera issues as well. There's a few interesting solutions out there like auto-start cameras and remotes/buttons connected to cameras on the dash that will help alleviate some of this for folks who take it serious.
    Will Faules

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I hereby claim I will have a video issue in every session I ever run. NASA gets the shitty camaera with the busted lense. I get the 4k video in non-windows format. Will, the rule is going to be a shit show just as mentioned elsewhere. I highly suggest you make it optional or highly suggested for all racers and mandatory for racers with more than 3 pts on their license for infractions which the video is looking to catch.
    Ah, fugg it.