Quote Originally Posted by MHISSTC View Post
Please indulge me asking a few more questions because I want to understand the reasoning behind the illegal declaration and how we should move forward from here.

* What is the basis for the Accel coil being illegal when Accel states it is a "direct plug replacements for OEM coils"?
* What advantage "might" this coil give?
* Everywhere I checked the Accel coil is cheaper than the OEM Motorcraft DG470 unit with a Ford part number, although not quite as cheap as the various store brands like Valucraft, Duralast, MileagePlus, and MasterPro.
* Of the specs listed about the coil, the resistance falls well within the ranges specified in the service manuals.
* Other than looking for bright yellow Accel or bright red MSD, or looking for coils that obviously don't conform to the OEM form factor, how in the world are the tech folks going to go about testing/checking for illegal coils?
* How are we going to prove we HAVE an OEM replacement coil?
* Are we going to need to specify a "spec" coil within the rules that indicates a sticker with Ford part number F7PJ-12029-AA needs to be present with all other coils besides that one being considered illegal?
-I haven't researched specs on stock ignition parts vs aftermarket parts so I can't talk about any advantages these parts "might" have. The rules reasoning is to not allow that slippery slope to be there for any perceived advantage and state the part must be of OE spec.
-There are tons of "direct plug replacement" parts and "direct bolt in" parts for the car that give far more performance than their OE part.
-It doesn't matter that the part is cheaper.
-Regarding tech, the obvious part is to look for the yellow or red coil / cap / etc. If there is any question on the legality of the part it will be further researched / discussed.
-Not sure what you mean by "Having" to prove an OEM replacement coil. Do you "have" to prove other parts on your car are legal?
-We are not going to specify a "spec" coil and you don't have to run a Ford part number coil. Currently the rule will stay as is but since we are getting near the silly season you are welcome to submit a RCR if you wish.
-Yes, if your current cap / rotor has brass inserts then they are illegal.

The intention of the rule is stock replacement parts. Your note about Accel: Accel claims there is a higher voltage spark that lends to quicker starts and better combustion spark at high RPM that leads to better performance, but I also ran across a voltage vs. current discussion that may indicate a higher voltage isn't really an advantage like a higher current or energy is, so a higher voltage may just be advertising hogwash to sell more product.
They specifically claim "better performance" so there is no way this will be allowed.