Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
To me the real issue is that by not having a spec and allowing remanned axles it doesn't matter - it's trying to prove a negative. Can a competitor prove that no remanufacturer modifies the cages?
I do agree with this statement. On the other hand, why would a remanufacturer modify the cage like this? What would be the point of adding this expense to the process? Certainly the part is hot tanked to clean it up. Maybe after that it is bead blasted but I doubt it. If you were a higher end setup, you might dump them in an abrasive tumbler to deburr the part. For other remanufactured parts, there might be a push to change common failure points to reduce returns but I don't see that applying in this case. There is no logic case that I can see to set up a fixture on a mill or a grinder to machine this opening bigger or to have someone hand grind them. I don't see it improving the part for any normal use case. The axle would come pre-assembled and greased so the end user would never see if they made it look better or different. I certainly could be wrong but it fails the smells right test to me...

Richard P.