Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Because this is a science experiment at this point, have you guys considered super sizing and running the 615 in TT or PTX/STX and Toyos in CMC in the same weekend to preserve car counts?

On a side note, will 225 tires fit my Z06 wheels? The desired end state here is reduction in costs, sure would suck if I had to run out and find new wheels.
    Last edited by Supercharged111; 02-16-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Because this is a science experiment at this point, have you guys considered super sizing and running the 615 in TT or PTX/STX and Toyos in CMC in the same weekend to preserve car counts?

On a side note, will 225 tires fit my Z06 wheels? The desired end state here is reduction in costs, sure would suck if I had to run out and find new wheels.
    Great point on sizing! A 245 is 150 per tire, same od and will fit 17x9.5 without issue, perfect tire!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Great point on sizing! A 245 is 150 per tire, same od and will fit 17x9.5 without issue, perfect tire!
    I was looking at 255s, the price difference to the 275 is substantial. I think for the first test we should all be on the same size tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...15KP&tab=Sizes

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar

I meant 255, but my question was still answered.
    RM CMC Director

The 255’s are a smaller OD and will affect gearing for folks. The load rating is also noticeably higher on the 245’s
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries

This is what I had originally proposed. TT test on Azenis and class race on Toyo. Then things went off the deep end
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    This is what I had originally proposed. TT test on Azenis and class race on Toyo. Then things went off the deep end
    Nobody has committed to anything yet. The test group can go that way if they want. I don't think the data is quite as good but it might be sufficient. At least good enough to see if more testing is warranted. Costs more for the test participants but they would get to race with the rest of the group.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Nobody has committed to anything yet. The test group can go that way if they want. I don't think the data is quite as good but it might be sufficient. At least good enough to see if more testing is warranted. Costs more for the test participants but they would get to race with the rest of the group.

Richard P.
    I could go either way I suppose. If we're actually racing I think it'll be a better test in the heat of battle.

So the 245/45/17 Azenis is nearly the same OD as the 275/40/17 RRs. The 255/40/17 Azenis is wider than the 245 (obviously), should be better for wear and heat. The 255 Azenis is 0.6" smaller in OD (25.6" OD for the RR, 25" for the 255 Azenis). The price difference for the 255/245 Azenis is less than $1 on tire rack. These tires are in the $150 range - tires at this price would substantially change my ability to show up to races and prepare the car.

255: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

245: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

- Josh
    CMC #50

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    I could go either way I suppose. If we're actually racing I think it'll be a better test in the heat of battle.

So the 245/45/17 Azenis is nearly the same OD as the 275/40/17 RRs. The 255/40/17 Azenis is wider than the 245 (obviously), should be better for wear and heat. The 255 Azenis is 0.6" smaller in OD (25.6" OD for the RR, 25" for the 255 Azenis). The price difference for the 255/245 Azenis is less than $1 on tire rack. These tires are in the $150 range - tires at this price would substantially change my ability to show up to races and prepare the car.

255: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

245: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

- Josh
    I think the 245 is the better option and I think it will actually handle the heat better by the load ratings(10%+ higher on the 245).

Should we do a poll? The 255 may run out of gear w/o a RR OD on your trans at some tracks (cota?).

My vote is 245
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I think the 245 is the better option and I think it will actually handle the heat better by the load ratings(10%+ higher on the 245).

Should we do a poll? The 255 may run out of gear w/o a RR OD on your trans at some tracks (cota?).

My vote is 245

According to the Falken tire website, the 245 isn't good for the width of the wheels we run. http://www.falkentire.com/tires/pass...is-rt615k-tire

245 = 7.5-9.0"
    255 = 8.5-10.0"
    275 = 9.0-11.0"

There are a lot of 9.5" wide wheels in the CMC field.

Additionally, right now big black doughnuts are a common and minor form of damage on the sides of our bodywork. At some point, wheel contact would cause more damage to both cars. Not the best money saving option.

Richard P.