Thread: Video killed the radio star

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Ok...so we know that modern cars ridiculously easy to tune.

It's a bit frustrating when this is listed as an issue because of modern technology. There have always been workarounds. I gave a list of potential cheats I came up with for each platform and the ways to catch them to the directors way back when (Todd and Adam in charge). I never saw anyone check anything, even when we did do periodic dyno checks which we almost never do anymore.

An example of old school for pushrod 5.0: Set up the engine so it makes legal hp with the spout connector out. It will make enough more power with it in that you will have a real advantage but not enough that it would be hugely obvious. Removing the spout connector just breaks a wire. Just break that wire somewhere else with a switch (tied into your helmet blower or something else not obvious). Trivial to find this cheat if you use a timing light. Really hard, if you don't...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Al-can you grab me a bud light while Craig and John get the fire ready?

Wish I could have been next to Patterson when he heard of the engine mapping switch.

I know guys with the 4.6 and LS1 run different size injectors but don't believe it's an issue with the LS at our power levels.

What is different in the tune between 99 and 02 for the LS? Yes, the 98 is different as it runs a totally different computer.

You could require everyone send their computer to one tuner to have the tune checked and locked possibly? Could limit being able to run a "tuned" computer but people could still try and fool the computer by using wiring/diodes to make it see something different.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24