Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Mulder - CMC #48

Senior Member Carroll Shelby mitchntx's Avatar

RIP Steve Mulder - CMC #48

I felt so many of you deserved to hear about Steve. He garnered respect from so many and he cares about you all.

In January Steve was diagnosed with colon cancer found via a colonoscopy. It was a single bleeding polyp and the scan showed a small tumor next to it.

Early February, when the surgeons were going in after the small mass, numerous tumors were discovered and they removed all that they could.

Early March, while trying to figure out why he couldn't hold down food or fluids, a scan revealed that all the tumors had returned and were quadrupled in mass.

He has never recovered enough to have any kind of cancer treatment.

12 weeks from a simple surgery to hospice. It is unbelievable how quick this has consumed him. He just turned 56.

In a conversation with his girlfriend yesterday, they are transitioning to hospice because hospice has more options that can make him comfortable as opposed to home health.

The outlook is bleak, very bleak ... best guess is a few weeks. He is weak, unable to talk and is drugged unconscious most of the time. I've only visited with him once for about 15 minutes since I last saw him in October, prepping deer camp. If you try to call or text, he won't (can't) answer. Visitation is severely limited due to COVID concerns.

I asked Brenda if I could share Steve's story with you guys and she said that Steve said "Sure". He loves each of you and we often spoke of the times we had racing with you folks.

He has his mom and dad, two daughters (both college graduates), a step daughter (grand daughter and son-in-law) and a step son (grand daughter and daughter-in-law) and of course, Brenda his girlfriend who is an angel of mercy and by his side.

Steve is my brother, helping me through some dark times and pray I was able to repay the favor in some way. We've toured the states surrounding Texas and had plans on riding the smokies this spring And the Dakotas this fall. We had profound conversations and times I will never forget.

God can produce wonderful miracles and I haven't given up hope. If so inclined, please put Steve on your prayer list, along with his family and me too, please.
    Last edited by mitchntx; 05-19-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry to hear this. Steve is a great guy. Life can be so cruel. After all he's been through. All I know to do is pray. Thanks for letting us know Mitch.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm not sure I know Steve? That blows for sure so my condolences, and it's something that I keep in mind wondering how I'll go out myself. Not everyone has the luxury of time when they go and cancer is a real MFer.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I'm not sure I know Steve? That blows for sure so my condolences, and it's something that I keep in mind wondering how I'll go out myself. Not everyone has the luxury of time when they go and cancer is a real MFer.
    Steve hung up his HANS in 2012 or maybe 2013. He was a key player in Glenn's National Championships, enduro wins and he and I visited the RM region in 2010 (I believe) at a track outside Pueblo.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    I asked Brenda if I could share Steve's story with you guys and she said that Steve said "Sure". He loves each of you and we often spoke of the times we had racing with you folks.

Steve is my brother, helping me through some dark times and pray I was able to repay the favor in some way. We've toured the states surrounding Texas and had plans on riding the smokies this spring And the Dakotas this fall. We had profound conversations and times I will never forget.

God can produce wonderful miracles and I haven't given up hope. If so inclined, please put Steve on your prayer list, along with his family and me too, please.
    Mitch, I had been thinking about the past group of CMC guys that brought me into this crazy thing the last couple of days with Hallett coming up; If I remember correctly, once Steve was using some liquid CO2 to make a block for his coolsuit.

Please forward the Francis' love and prayers for the entire family - including people like you who are family by choice.

I don't have the words - this just hurts.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    once Steve was using some liquid CO2 to make a block for his coolsuit.

Yessir that was him.

He also had a "manifold" built into a cooler that allowed multiple suits to be plugged in. Was nice for those midday driver's meetings.
    We used it during 3 gun matches. When asked about it, he always told folks it was his portable dialysis machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    After all he's been through. All I know to do is pray. Thanks for letting us know Mitch.

JJ
    Jerry,

He has certainly seen his share of pain. He always told me his goal was to get his daughters through school and the youngest graduated last year.
    His daughters had introduced him to Brenda, who had also lost a spouse very suddenly. He told me once that it was perfect because they each could say something about their respective spouses and they each understood what the other was doing. It was a kindred spirit.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    Steve hung up his HANS in 2012 or maybe 2013. He was a key player in Glenn's National Championships, enduro wins and he and I visited the RM region in 2010 (I believe) at a track outside Pueblo.
    I didn't come online myself until late 2013 so that explains why I don't know him. I really don't know what to say, so I wish you all the best of luck.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Dang, so sorry to hear of this but thank you for sharing Mitch. Steve was such a great guy to be around and so much fun to race with on track. He always had a smile on his face.

Will definitely have Steve, his family, and all his loved ones in our prayers.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Dayum... Man I hate to hear this. Steve is a such great guy and we sure have had fun over the years. Mitch.... Let him know we are praying for him and are thinking about him.

Having been through colon cancer myself 5 years ago... I found out at age 48... Guys... get yourself checked. It is one of the most treatable forms of cancer if found early. I was lucky.. my bleading polyp was not cancerous, but it caused me to get checked and had a cancerous polyp that was just getting to the point of escaping the colon.