Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTB: 302 with 5 speed

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    [quote="AI#97"]
    Quote Originally Posted by oz98cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    Quote Originally Posted by ledfoot2
    ....I have it down to 2860 without driver and that is with Lexan and an all aluminum motor....
    and a working park brake assembly... and interior sheet metal ... and the stock harness complete with PATS ... and ...

You can loose plenty on a winter diet Matt!
    shush!!! I am going to weld in the cage to the A/B pillars this weekend and mark the line for the roof to come off... While I have all that out and the dash out, I am going to get the dash bar done, and I am looking for an air nibler to work on the rest of the metal that needs to go.

Anyone have a tried and true way of removing the sound deadening material in the floor boards? I am not screwing with a heat gun and a scraper. I heard of dry ice working???

Like I said, there is easily 120lbs to come out of the car....so BEWARE! I might not be able to make ALL the events next year but time will tell....any body have any of that time to lend? :lol:
    Matt,
    I got all of mine out with just a thick putty knife and hammer. There were a couple of "sticky" sections that took more time than others but it pretty much came up easy with very little glue left behind.
    Of course Ford might have changed some things b/w 1989 and 2000+ so yours might be a completely different ball game.
    Good luck!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Administrator Site Admin
    All you guys in Austin seem to think a 331 is shizznit! :lol: :wink:
    I don't think its just us in Austin. Its obvious that not everyone has $8000 to put into a motor(eg stroked 4.6 with all forged internals) like you, Matt. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, I mean, I wish I could. Sorry, offense to you.

You can build a very stout 331 for half that.

Member Rookie
    Well guys, you better start getting scared. I picked up a cherry 87 POS GT with a running motor and drove it home tonight. It has one of those cool triangle air cleaners that I hear add at least 100hp! I am going to tear the motor down, and rebuild it. At least I am making some progress. $2200 into the project so far. I think we should calculate a time/dollar spent ratio to see who is really ahead in this game. Of course 0/2000 is not a very good ratio.
    Nothing...Honda Minivan- Time Trial?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Ooooh. Now you have a CMC car AND an AI car!!!! :twisted:

-=- T

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    My car is at 2650 without me (2823 with me) at MSR-H last event. I still have quite a bit of weight (30 lbs or so) that can come out of the car... 2700 would be ellusive, especially when I add a cool suit and aero...

Ohh well, I'll keep it as light as possible and save tires.

All it takes is a well very picky eye to find each little ounce of weight... hey we don't need wipers... that's what Rain-X is for. Steel bumpers... who needs em, build them out of aluminum...

If I only built the cage out of .095 to begin with...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ffbrooks
    All you guys in Austin seem to think a 331 is shizznit! :lol: :wink:
    I don't think its just us in Austin. Its obvious that not everyone has $8000 to put into a motor(eg stroked 4.6 with all forged internals) like you, Matt. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, I mean, I wish I could. Sorry, offense to you.

You can build a very stout 331 for half that.
    Jeff, 2800 in the shortblock, $750 ported stock heads, $1300 intake and fuel rails, $550 for the cams, $250 for the used longtubes, $350 for the canton pan.....not seeing $8000 in there!!! :wink: Believe me, I am lucky to have found the engine builder to do this because I get all the parts at cost and free machine work and labor. Oh, and it's only a bored motor right now....pushing 297-299 cubes and about 385hp at the crank! I am going to diagnose my "light knock" this weekend to see if I need to pull the motor and instill pants shitting fear!!! :wink:
    Ah, fugg it.