Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inverted Starts

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Don't make me lock this thread now...it's too early. :lol:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Could make it voluntary.
    Wanna start at the back,.... EVERY race? Do it. Have fun. I respect it.
    Might try some myself.

jb

Suggestion 1:
    Quit inverting. Period. Let the fast cars in each respective class start up front where they qualified. Bottom feeders like me can "earn" their way to the front.

Suggestion 2:
    Put AI/AIX into Group 8. Mixon isn't lonely anymore and AI doesn't have to deal with stupid CMC drivers in their bad-handling cars. :lol:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what about the CMC-2 cars?
    man, 3200 lbs @ 260hp/310tq sure looks good.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    Could make it voluntary.
    Wanna start at the back,.... EVERY race? Do it. Have fun. I respect it.
    Might try some myself.

jb

I'm good with that but it's not the same thing at all. The point isn't to start behind slower cars and then play a live version of "Pole Position" and artificially pump up your ego because you can pass so many cars. The point is supposed to be the better driver doing a better job of getting through traffic. It’s also about variety. If you have open track in front of you, it’s the same every lap. With other cars around you, it’s different every time. The skills required to go through traffic offline while keeping your competitor in sight or behind you are not the same skills required to put down a fast lap by yourself on the practiced line.

For me, it’s also about fun. I have more fun on fully inverted starts. Someone keeps saying that “fun” is the reason we’re all supposed to be doing this…

Richard P.

i vote invert all races except the houston races, i heard turn out at those was going to be so low that it wouldn't matter
    micah bishop TEAM WARHORSE CMC#44

CMC17
    My "N" keeps getting stolen from my "FU". :shock:

Ok, I'll put the teasing to the side for a bit. My definition of fun has several levels:

First off it is fun to be out at the track with this bunch of renegades - period.

Second, it is real fun to grid up and take the green flag in whatever order we assemble.

Third, it is the MOST FUN I'VE EVER HAD to duel for many laps with another competitor in my same class, trying to find a way to pass or to stay in front of him/her regardless if it's for 13th or 4th place. This is what I call "racing".

Fourth: It's not fun to deal with a faster out of class cars during the race while trying to race my fellow CMC cars. Move over and let them by? Lose ground on my CMC competitor. Stay in the preferred line? Piss off the out of class driver. Nobody is happy.

Senior Member Rookie
    I like the fully inverted starts. They make you work harder for you wins. The idea of the inverted starts was to make it harder for the leaders to dominate the series, and fully inverted starts accomplish that better than inverting by class. It also forces the AI/AIX drivers to learn about driving in close quarters. CMC does that pretty well, but I think AI/AIX could use some practice. If moving through a field of slower cars feels risky, then probably more practice is in order.

As for the out of class cars, we currently put them at the front of the group when we are inverted. Except for Kevin and Jay, that is already "Full Inverted" because most of those cars/drivers are a little off the pace and seem to be very nervous around our thundering herd.

What I am saying is that we have the worst of both worlds right now. I would rather see us start fully inverted or straight up by finishing position.
    Chris Marvel

RP's Guinea Pig
    AI #91
    CMC2 #82
    Anything else you hand me the keys to...

How are fully inverted starts practice? If your car is smashed up because you had to start behind slower traffic, where's the fun in that? You get practice at doing body work. Wow, that's fun...can't wait to do body work. A smashed car makes for loads of seat time, like sitting on the couch.

I am telling you, you are borrowing trouble by fully inverting starts. As the CMC field gets bigger and more competitive, they are not going to just move over for AI/AIX to come blowing past them. They are going to want to race the guys in their class.

There are other ways for AI/AIX to practice racing in close proximity. Like lapping the CMC field while holding off another AI/AIX competitor. Hummm, thoughts of Hallett come to mind. Beating the field by 51 seconds Saturday R1. :wink:

The '05 season JG and MP raced as close as it gets. This year Matt and Chris raced each other pretty hard.

You don't have to borrow trouble to make racing fun. I don't give a crap about racing anyone, but I had fun. Fun to me is driving fast. Fun to me is hearing the roar of a V8. Fun to me is challeging myself to run consistantly and improve.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone in CMC would support fully inverted starts. WTF is the point in messing up your race to have a faster car blow past you or have to make room for him. You lose position. You lose momentum. Your concentration on the CMC car next to you is momentarily lost. I would think that you would only want to deal with in class cars and not worry with AI/AIX. :idea:

Then again lots of things in this world don't make sense to me.