Thread: CMC 17" Wheel Weight & Welded Spacers

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Right, same as today, ford can run a 16lb with a 2lb spacer and perhaps sacrifice the integrity of the wheel. I would hate to see a wheel fail and take out 5 cars going into T1 just because you have to compromise safety to make it legal.
    Or stick to the original intent of the 18lb wheel rule and don't allow 16lb wheels. All off the shelf wheels require spacers. Including the spacer with the wheel is a goofy loop hole. And I always thought goofy loop holes don't have a place in CMC.
    I supposed by welding the spacer it is a custom wheel, which by rule is not illegal.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by DAlgozine View Post
    Or stick to the original intent of the 18lb wheel rule and don't allow 16lb wheels. All off the shelf wheels require spacers. Including the spacer with the wheel is a goofy loop hole. And I always thought goofy loop holes don't have a place in CMC.
    I supposed by welding the spacer it is a custom wheel, which by rule is not illegal.
    So the fords have no 18lb options?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAlgozine View Post
    Doug,
    The original intent of the steel spacer, attached to the wheel with plug welded screws was to create a pseudo custom wheel that met the letter of the rule.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...