Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
Is the mounting plate at the top of the hoop welded to the interior sheet metal of the car? It's really hard to tell in the picture but it looks like there is just a little spot on the upper left corner of the tube that is connected. The fact a plate was used doesn't really matter for CMC. The issue would be attachment points to the car. If it is welded to the car, is it possible to get in there and cut the attachment to the sheet metal of the car without hurting the integrity of the joint? If it's not attached there and it passes tech otherwise, that part would be legal for CMC.
Quote Originally Posted by NASA CCR
15.6.13 Mounting PointsThe roll cage shall be mounted to the floor area, which includes rocker panels, of the car in six, seven, or eightpoints. The cage shall not go through the firewall. The seventh and eighth points must attach to the firewall orfront fender wells. All cage attachment points must be mounted to plates or a mounting box (plinth). Eachrequired cage bar shall terminate on a plate with a 360 degree weld to the mounting plate, except as specifiedin Section 15.6.14.B. There shall be only one (1) mounting “point” per plate. This point is defined as where the“required tube” mounts. All additional tubes mounted to that plate must be mounted as close to the requiredtube as possible [Ref: (15.6.14.B)]. It is recommended that plinth boxes use a bottom support plate in caseswhere the edges of the box may punch through the sheet metal.

15.6.14 Mounting PlatesEach mounting plate shall be no greater than one hundred (100) square inches, and no less than nine (9)square inches. Each mounting plate must be no greater than twelve (12) inches or less than two (2) inches onany side. Welded mounting plates shall be at least 0.080-inch thick. Plates may extend onto vertical sectionsof the structure. Any mounting plate may be multi-angled, but shall not exceed one hundred (100) squareinches total including vertical sections.
First - welcome to the best group in NASA. Yes we're biased.

Main Hoop/Halo Intersection - would be interesting to see in person, and hopefully it looks better. And because I want to understand perspectives better, it would be interesting to see what Tech says about that. I don't think there are any Texas AI/CMC cars put together like that.

Don't confuse "mounting points" and "mounting plates;" my quick scan of the CCR is that those are used together to join the cage to the chassis and a mounting plate has a minimum size.

When you say you think you have too many, what are you counting?

2 at the floor under the A-pillar
2 for the main hoop
2 for the rear stays

In the old car (RIP) the upper door bar was almost to the top of the door skin. I always left the door closed to egress as the cool kids say. You'll want to get the seat adjusted also to make sure you can clear the seat halo if you have one.

Anyway, welcome aboard and ask all the questions you need to. You'll always have a hijacked thread and get half the information you want/need.

David