Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fourth Gen Camaro Front Hubs

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    I have a long list of repair or replace items for the car in my off season, but thanks to Jim, hubs are not on that list!!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    I have a long list of repair or replace items for the car in my off season, but thanks to Jim, hubs are not on that list!!
    Same here. In fact we are about to upgrade to 315's all around. They are going to be torture tested for sure!
    Ah, fugg it.

Just got confirmation from the machine shop on pricing. I'll have to order a minimum of 4 sets though. If I can get at least 2 guys to put 1/2 down, I'll go ahead and order. Pricing is as follows:
    $1200 Full Kit with skf race hubs, $20 shipping
    $565 Adapters and bolt kit, no hubs, $15 shipping

Texas residents must pay 8.25% tax. Texas guys should contact me though.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Small update...I have three sets of adapters on order, due in just after Cresson. Let me know if you want a set.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Three pairs of adapters in stock.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    posted in wrong thread... nothing to see....move along.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How are these hubs (SKF's) holding up for you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Solid....and on 315's and I love curbs.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    I might be onto something, need time to research and test this out unless someone here already figured it out.

The late C4 corvette guys figured out that our 4th gen fbody hubs bolt up to their spindles, and some of them have had extremely good fortune with the SKF 4th gen hubs (part # BR930186) compared to the other brands, including the Timkens some of us run and repeatedly warranty at Autozone ; we're talking claims of entire seasons on big grippy tires and still no play in the hubs; these guys were having the same longevity issues we had with the other brands of hubs.

By chance I found a guy on ebay that had a few "new old stock" SKF hubs for fairly cheap, but I didn't get them with their original SKF boxes, and the hubs don't have SKF markings on them, just the markings of a Korean manufacturer called ILJIN. I've ordered other SKF parts (seals, pilot bearings, etc), that don't bear SKF marks so this doesn't bother me.

Things I have heard but need to research/verify:
    1. SKF makes these particular hubs in Korea
    2. Some research shows ILJIN of Korea ships a ton of crap to SKF USA
    3. The "premium" line of NAPA hubs are in fact just SKF hubs

I intend on taking my hubs to the NAPA store to see if they match what I have right now; so far all known pictures of the SKF 4th gen hubs show them to be unique compared to the shape/color/design of all of the other 4th gen hub offerings, and importantly, match the two hubs I bought very closely.

From there I'm going to temporarily replace my Timkens with these hubs and see how long they last. If this experiment fails I'm out $110 and I'm back to warrantying out Timkens until I pony up the $$$ to get the nice setup; felt it was worth the gamble.
    So on the above, my "SKF" Fbody hubs were not any better than the Timkens. One of them flung grease out the backside.

Hoping to do the conversion this summer...
    Last edited by Pranav; 07-20-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    I wish SKF made engines and diffs, as my hubs are outlasting these. Seriously though, they're holding up perfectly.

Not surprised Pranav had issues with the Fbody version, as they're no different than stock. The SKF vette 'race' hub has more/bigger balls.

Pfadt closed down, and I therefore lost my dealer discount on the hubs. I've found a relatively cheap place to get them, and Casey and Dan bought theirs there. I cut out all profit on Dan's set to keep the price about the same. I've got a few adapter sets left.
    Last edited by Dulaney; 07-30-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    Jim Dulaney
    AI 117