Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diff Cover Drain

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    For clarity, you don’t have to add a drain plug to the cover, you can add it to the housing. The GMs have a nice cavity right at the bottom that is perfect for this.
    Solid evidence it’s a GM biased rule set

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    Solid evidence it’s a GM biased rule set
    Agreed it's GM biased towards the rearend....of the field.

Had to make a change after the 2016 results in Texas with Fords winning 83% of the podiums, every Toyo race, and every fast lap of the weekend.

2017 got it back in line with 2015's 72% Ford podiums. For 2017 Ford had 75.36% of podiums, every fast lap of weekend, but GM did get a single Toyo win.

2018 so far is right in line (but revisions may need to be reconsidered). Fords have won 73.33% of the podiums, but only 7 out of 8 Toyo races, and they have 3 out of four fast lap of the weekend.

But to keep this on topic are we allowed to run an aftermarket aluminum cover? What if said cover has some bolts to help the carrier bearing in the ultrastrong GM diff? What if the bolts are backed out so they don't provide any support? At least we are allowed to upgraded to the superior Ford 8.8 or Ford 9" with better posi and gearing options. Guess I need to do that swap instead of adding a diff cover with a drain.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    That's a negative on the aftermarket cover, this has come up before and gets shot down every time. There's an RCR thread on the national forum about this very topic from a few years back.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Agreed it's GM biased towards the rearend....of the field.

Had to make a change after the 2016 results in Texas with Fords winning 83% of the podiums, every Toyo race, and every fast lap of the weekend.

2017 got it back in line with 2015's 72% Ford podiums. For 2017 Ford had 75.36% of podiums, every fast lap of weekend, but GM did get a single Toyo win.

2018 so far is right in line (but revisions may need to be reconsidered). Fords have won 73.33% of the podiums, but only 7 out of 8 Toyo races, and they have 3 out of four fast lap of the weekend.

But to keep this on topic are we allowed to run an aftermarket aluminum cover? What if said cover has some bolts to help the carrier bearing in the ultrastrong GM diff? What if the bolts are backed out so they don't provide any support? At least we are allowed to upgraded to the superior Ford 8.8 or Ford 9" with better posi and gearing options. Guess I need to do that swap instead of adding a diff cover with a drain.
    Haha, I miss those crazy discussions!!!

Everything seemed about as even as could be at Hallett between Ford and GM from my perspective.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post

Everything seemed about as even as could be at Hallett between Ford and GM from my perspective.
    Not even close, it’s obvious that Fords have a massive advantage for the last corner of the last lap of the race.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Everything seemed about as even as could be at Hallett between Ford and 1 particular GM from my perspective.
    Fixed it for you...

I could have done my part and made the first start... not gone off... not overheated and blowed up the transmission.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

lol Brian
    Al Fernandez

Blog Entries
    Got it! $150 Aftermarket diff cover is illegal but a $4,000 Ford 9" with aluminum center section is legal.....makes perfect sense.

Well scratch part of that. Rules won't allow a GM car to swap to the optimal rearend which is the Ford 8.8 (even though bolt ins are available and cheaper). Guess instead of helping my diff stay cool or possibly allowing us to strengthen a known weak rear end with a $150 cover we should just throw $4k down on a 9". I know the rules are there to try and help us save a little money but guess they also allow you to spend a lot of money.
    I remember some about diff cover debate but think that was so long ago that many who argued for or against are gone but really the fact that we have allowed so many other things to happen that an upgraded diff cover doesn't seem like a big deal.

Glad this came up before Nats so I don't get DQ'd for a diff cover. Guess I'm ordering a Ford 9" for my birthday.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    To be fair, allowing the Ford 9" was a cost saving measure mostly aimed at allowing A Sedan cars a way into CMC without having to spend big money converting their cars back. It had no realistic effect on those building a CMC car because no one would be dumb enough to add the expense, drag, and weight of a 9" when the stock rear ends were bullet proof on cars with 230 HP, 16" rock hard tires, and 12" brakes...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar

I know some seem to think Bryan is the only one who can hustle a 4th gen, but he's not completely ruling the roost back here. I'm not seeing any disparity in the platforms based on my observations in RM, TX, and Nats. I am faster than I drove at Hallett this year. My weaknesses are launching, learning a new track quickly, and managing traffic to the extent that Michael and Bryan do. The latter 2 hurt me at Hallett and, quite frankly, getting all the way to my 10/10ths really takes a lot. I have to be pretty relaxed to get that last little bit on some tracks and that isn't exactly easy when there's 20 cars breathing down your ass (or 1 Mosty). I think some people believe they are at the limit and they're not realizing what's still on the table. I haven't touched my setup in years, I just drive. If it feels pushy, I change my driving and if it feels loose, again, I change my driving. Next event car usually feels fine. Typically when my car is off, so is everyone else's so it's relative.
    RM CMC Director