Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Issues

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just ordered two tires from Phil's. Even with the $175.00 in Toto Bucks my bill is $360.00. That means the tires cost me $267.50 plus shipping! I have been getting tires from John George at $240.00. I really never pay much attention to the cost as it goes on the wife's credit card. I had in my mind I was paying around $200.00 each. Almost $1100.00 a set. Have we lost our minds?

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Phil's is more cause they are in New York. However they shave the RA1's better than anyone in the country.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I just ordered two tires from Phil's. Even with the $175.00 in Toto Bucks my bill is $360.00. That means the tires cost me $267.50 plus shipping! I have been getting tires from John George at $240.00. I really never pay much attention to the cost as it goes on the wife's credit card. I had in my mind I was paying around $200.00 each. Almost $1100.00 a set. Have we lost our minds?

JJ
    That's about what I paid for RR's last time and around the same at all vendors including shipping. You also paid $20 each for shaving.

Have you bought a set of tires for a street vehicle? 18" tires on my wife's SUV were $145 a piece 7 years ago-now they are $240. (oil) Somehow that inflation works out higher than the govt. reporting under 2%-but maybe they include tires as part of the ex food/energy.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    That's about what I paid for RR's last time and around the same at all vendors including shipping. You also paid $20 each for shaving.

Have you bought a set of tires for a street vehicle? 18" tires on my wife's SUV were $145 a piece 7 years ago-now they are $240. (oil) Somehow that inflation works out higher than the govt. reporting under 2%-but maybe they include tires as part of the ex food/energy.
    I was just shocked. I don't know why I was thinking $200.00 per tire. Closer to $300.00.

Yes I know about inflation. It is real. The SOB in the White House says there is zero inflation.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Yah I'm done racing for the year too haha. My new budget is for diapers!
    I feel your pain!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    The Maxxis review that Ken posted was a nice read. I'd be interested in reality on a race car at race pace for performance/degradation. Buy me a set Aaron, and I'll try them =) I'm done buying tires for the year lol (except for the truck, dammit).
    As soon as the 17's are available I plan on trying them.....I will need tires for TWS unless I stick with the Nittos but I am chasing a 1:48 going CCW.

Sean, the fuel cell deal isn't that big of a deal. I just put a 25 Gallon FIA GT3 cell in my car for around $900 and I get to do it again in 5 years.....ugh.
    Ah, fugg it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post

JJ
    BFG R1 in 275/40/17 are $281 at Phil's.....and you can find them at tire rack on sale for $250 twice a year......they have been my best Speed for the Buck but I get about 1.5 events out of a set and have to go to my back up to finish the second weekend.
    Ah, fugg it.

BFG's heat cycle out bad like Toyos. The front running mx5 cup guys only used them for 3 sessions then chunked em.

I would suggest lining up a discussion session Friday night at TWS with Will and Dave. They're our best direct link to NASA HQ. I'm comfortable stating that the RR cycles out is a fact, and reasonably comfortable stating that the current RA1 may not have the life of the old ones but that it doesnt heat cycle out is also a fact. Correct that if you dont agree. I am not comfortable stating that X tire exists that does not cycle out as has been proven in a sprint race environment. I dont consider TT or DE a race environment.
    Al Fernandez

Deciding on a good tire is going to require NASA to invest in various sets and having someone do tests on them. That's what SCCA did a few years ago when SM kept switching tires yr to yr and finally settled on Hoosiers. NASA should buy a set of nittos, Maxxis etc and have someone actually test them in a real environment with a data system installed and get real data instead of everyone just playing the "well this might work" game. That's the only way NASA will make people happy.

Now I know Toyo pays a lot of money so I understand the business side of it but I would hope that one of these other manufactures would step up and pay NASA to run their tires if they are better.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 09-14-2014 at 12:57 PM.