Thread: TMS Recap - 2019

Hybrid View

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    I had the best feeling car setup wise I've had in many events, and am really happy with the changes I've made. Car was fast in R1, got Pranav on the start and was managing the pace with Michael in P2 when the ignition quit again and put it in limp mode. Managed to hang on behind him reasonably and was flipping the ignition switch on and off in braking zones trying to get it to go back to normal. It finally did and I was able to run him down but couldn't pass in R1.

R2/3 were as Josh described with more ignition/electrical issued for me. After another hot and frustrating R2 I decided to pack up #34 and get home earlier. The speed and danger of TMS Isn't worth putting a car on track that isn't at least running in top form.

Overall I love that track. Going into turn one flat on the throttle and painting that white line is like no other track we go to and as a pretty huge NASCAR fan was absolutely a dream to get to do in my own racecar. The infield course is fun but simple and the whole track is pretty raceable with lots of opportunities to draft and run side by side. If we have TMS, COTA, ECR, NOLA, Hallett and the MSR twins next year it'd be a hell of a schedule.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    If we have TMS, COTA, ECR, NOLA, Hallett and the MSR twins next year it'd be a hell of a schedule.
    With COTA and TMS being $2200.00 weekends for just practice, garage, entry fees and tires. Well maybe $2800.00 for COTA.

JJ

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    The track was definitely more fun than I had expected. NASCAR 4 starts getting quick at speeds around 115 mph. The tri-oval goes very quickly and then with able to go flat through the chicane we were entering NASCAR 1 around 130 mph. If you went in without lifting it usually pushed you up track about a car width and was a nice pucker moment. It seemed like the best was to lift slightly and then get back to full throttle until the brake zone. The feeling was unlike anything from the previous tracks we have raced.
    I will say, due to the speeds through the banking, car prep is crucial for running the track. It is scary to think what would happen if a hub failed through the banking.

The infield was nothing special but I did find it tricky to get the correct braking / turn in points as there were no reference markers.
    I also thought the grip was terrible on the infield and I wonder how much of that was due to the high temps or just maybe bad driving, haha.

Also, the Right Rear tire takes a beating. I didn't rotate my tires and now my RR is bald, even with running only 4 full sessions, 1 very shortened qual, and virtually nothing of the last race.

If we run the track next year, would be neat to have a full field!!
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I will say, due to the speeds through the banking, car prep is crucial for running the track. It is scary to think what would happen if a hub failed through the banking.
    Or a tire. When the Corvette C5R was there racing, they lost a tire exiting turn four. They were live on the in-car when it happened. You heard the pop and a half a second later the car was in the outside wall hard. It punched the windshield out through its clips. No visible input from the driver. It just happened too fast. Completely totaled...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I installed new C7 hubs and aged out my rear axles, made it a point to run on brand new tires because of these stories.

I think the chicane, despite being wide, helped slow things down a little.

This even was fun, A+ would recommend again.

Now to rebuild me rear end; broke the end off carrier housing when we had contact on the LR wheel while I was on the gas on Saturday. Thought it was a loose panhard bar mount saturday night, but sunday morning the rear end kept making the same noise then started grenading in warmup.

Thanks to John and the new guy with the green camaro we were able to get it rebuilt with my spare r&p and diff, and on track in 2 hours!

Now if I could find a T2R again...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I broke a hub at Hallett. How in the world can you make sure a hub does not fail?

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I broke a hub at Hallett. How in the world can you make sure a hub does not fail?

JJ
    How old was it Jerry? I'd consider changing them before TMS.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34