Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roebling Road

Hybrid View

Senior Member Rookie 64GunPilot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    If you can connect with some AI/CMC racers in your area I'm sure they would give (or sell at a very low price) you some used RA1's. I have two or sets of four that have over 14 heat cycles on them and at least 1/3rd of their tread. I'm sure every CMC guy racing this year or last will have tires that are not fast enough to race on but plenty fast for a HPDE driver trying to build seat time. If you were around here I have a set you can have for free.....maybe two.

Jerry
    Im a Texas guy (sorta) but in Alabama for a couple months for training. Using this time to get some DE weekends with the car in different regions. I'll gladly take any tires that have tread left that are being discarded and/or pay it in beer. Problem is, Im still on 16" wheels. I see the R888R's are a decent price for the sizes I can run (255/50/16). My best tires at the moment are 7 years old, however I am very surprised at how grippy they are. Certainly not hard like most think. Even the dry rotted tires held great in the rain (before I realized they were 15yrs old).

I have my 2nd DE at Memphis next weekend. I think Im gonna wrap a new set of R888R's and run them for safety and piece of mind. Gonna dismount and discard all these old tires.

I'd start getting the parts and pieces together to replace that engine block...also consider an LS swap if your car isn't already (I don't remember from your previous posts). We have enough difficulty getting engines to hold together in the base case, let alone with a crack pookyed (technical term) up w/ JB Weld.

Also -- if you're just running DE pick up a set of 200TW street tires, see other thread on that -- I'd rather have a consistent tire to learn on then risk driving around on hard as rocks old stuff. Pick up some RR's when you're ready to come race.
    Yea, Im gonna find a machine shop this week and see about getting a block prepped. Im hoping to swap the internals over myself when there is a break between events. Im still hoping to meet you guys in Hallett in HPDE 3/4 in June. I doubt I'll have time to break this TPI engine down and rebuild it before then. So I may be running this JBWelded engine then. I'll report back after MIR this weekend. As for the tires, there arent a lot of options for 255 16" tires. R888Rs are around $675 shipped. So this is my plan for now.

I was gonna suggest a 5.3 swap as well. You can run the truck accessories everybody throws away.
    An LS swap sounds great, but I'm slow when it comes to stuff like that. It'll take me months to do an LS swap (if I do it all on my own without help). But honestly, my first experience this weekend with the TPI......Im impressed. I really liked its power. It was a very balanced car. Torque curves were perfect. At the moment, Im kinda like a teenager that just met his first love even though she's ugly.
    Last edited by 64GunPilot; 04-08-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    An LS swap sounds great, but I'm slow when it comes to stuff like that. It'll take me months to do an LS swap (if I do it all on my own without help).
    Pfft. Based on what you posted here, you just need a parts list. I'll make sure Sean checks here and gets with you. In fact, we might have an LS/T56 or T5 combo we could come up with. Computer and harness is the fairly easy part.

Welcome to the fun that is CMC.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Pfft. Based on what you posted here, you just need a parts list. I'll make sure Sean checks here and gets with you. In fact, we might have an LS/T56 or T5 combo we could come up with. Computer and harness is the fairly easy part.

Welcome to the fun that is CMC.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Ive been wanting to try the spec engine routes. I have a vortec 350 in need of a rebuild. Might have it built per the rule book. I don’t know. Who knows....it’s possible that this JBWeld will hold up a long time. Might even last through Hallett.

On another note, I found some 255/50/16 RA1s x 4 on eBay for $480 shipped. It wouldn’t make it to me in time for this weekend at Memphis, so bought some 888s from tirerack $650. Gonna discard ALL 16 tires I got with the sale of the car (disappointing). But feels better to know I’m on new shoes.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm an overwhelming fan of EFI and 5.3s are cheap. Your T5 should bolt right up too, just a matter of clutch trickery to make that work.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by 64GunPilot View Post
    Im still hoping to meet you guys in Hallett in HPDE 3/4 in June.
    If you bring all the 5.3 parts and enough beer to Hallett, the AI/CMC camp will have that swap done before dinner time on Friday!

- Josh
    CMC #50

Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    If you bring all the 5.3 parts and enough beer to Hallett, the AI/CMC camp will have that swap done before dinner time on Friday!

- Josh
    Ok. Well looks like this weekend at MIR (Memphis) is cancelled due to weather. I guess its supposed to rain cats n dogs. Anyways, that gives me some time. If I can get a parts list for the 5.3 swap, I'll start pricing it out and shopping around the junk yards here in Alabama. I'll also be looking at other forums for swap info too. Going into research mode now.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Junior Member Rookie
    I have done several LS conversions and put together a couple LS cars from scratch. I have a excel spread sheet of all the parts needed to convert a LT1 fourth gen to a LS1. It does not have everything you would need to do a 3rd gen to LS the file does have a lot of part numbers and stuff you would need to convert. If you are interested shoot me a email. Bobden10@gmail.com
    Bob
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by Den34 View Post
    I have done several LS conversions and put together a couple LS cars from scratch. I have a excel spread sheet of all the parts needed to convert a LT1 fourth gen to a LS1. It does not have everything you would need to do a 3rd gen to LS the file does have a lot of part numbers and stuff you would need to convert. If you are interested shoot me a email. Bobden10@gmail.com
    Bob

Thank you for sending me the spreadsheet. Very helpful. Still weighing options.
    -Dylan
    3rd Gen CMC Wannabee

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    The LS is definitely worth the price of admission, but damn the price of admission is a bitch.

My advice is to find a clean used replacement block for what you have now and just drop it in and send it! Getting harder to find clean 305/350s these days but maybe an old vortec pull out can fit the bill.

Senior Member Grass-Passer y5e06's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    My advice is to find a clean used replacement block for what you have now and just drop it in and send it! Getting harder to find clean 305/350s these days but maybe an old vortec pull out can fit the bill.
    shoot, 350's are still out there in abundance. Last trip to the pick and pull I walked by 7 of them, and i was just glancing and not shopping. Last long block I got someone just gave me... for free, and it is in good shape.

Vortec shortblock will work just fine, as long as you're running an electric fuel pump. vortecs and most TBI blocks don't have the mechanical fuel pump boss fully machined.