Thread: More durable/affordable tire option?

Threaded View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    2 cents from the past and now outside....

There were several reasons that I stopped racing, some race-related and some not. However, the RR tire issue was a big factor for leaving and remains an issue that would have to be resolved before I return. The issues of cost, build quality (mostly the threat of tread seam separation), performance drop-off and Toyo contingency parity seem to reflect what a lot of others have already stated.

Rob Liebbe
    This is the reason I bring this tire issue up every year (Daniel beat me to it this year). I hate to lose great racers like Rob due to tire cost. I know others that stopped racing because of tire issues. Some have sold their cars. I always thought of CMC as the class that would let a working man road race. If you have to purchase a new set of tires for every event (and you do if you want to be as fast as possible for every qual and every race) we will lose racers and keep others from joining us in the first place. Look at The Drivers Edge. They sell out every event. If we can make racing in CMC cost near what it cost to run the Drivers Edge our numbers will go up. I think if we can pull off getting a tire that we can run three race weekends (two sets for a regular season) that cost $300.00 less then the RR we could build up to twenty car fields in a few years. I could be wrong but as you can read here tire cost does run people off from CMC road racing.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 02-19-2019 at 03:48 PM.