Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: six point harness differences

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

six point harness differences

I have to replace the harness in the 55 prior to the first race. What is the difference in a $150.00 G-Force and a $565.00 Schroth? We were thinking about trying a pull up this time (never had one). My old harness had 2013 marked on it (I purchased the car in 2009). Do they all come with a five year date? I see some are two year and some are five. What do I look for to get the five year belts?

I still have to get the car back from Illicit Motorsports (Wild Rides S-Box installed plus new K-Member and new Rack). Should have it back by the end of next week. I have to change the fluids, figure out why it starves for fuel below half a tank, install the new harness, install new mufflers and tail pipes, get a new Medical (every two years when you are an old guy like me). All in nine or ten days. I have no idea who is going to do my medical since the Flight doctor I used to go to killed himself in a plane crash right after I got my last one. I would like to get both medicals done at the same time and same place if possible.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 12-27-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    This is what I found.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...cingbelts.html

We want a green harness but I would like a five year. I assume the SFI 16.1 is only good for two years? Alsi since I don't have my car where I can look at it. Is the sub belt usually two inch? Also I just remembered the harness onm the car now the shoulder straps wrap around the roll bar.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 12-27-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Sfi is two, FIA are five...Generally they cost the same. I tried a pull up on e but found it harder to tighten since the adjustment is down by the mount bolt ymmv
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    As someone who sells harnesses of all makes and models, I will tell you there is a huge difference in quality between g-force (lower end) and schroth (higher end) belts. I have used Gforce, RCA, Sabelt etc in the past and the biggest difference you get for the price is the buckle and release mechanism quality. The schroth belts have been my favorite and for the past two cars I've raced I bought the pull up profi 2 Hans 6pts. The Hans belts are the safest model out there cause they won't slide off the Hans due to the belt being narrower at the shoulders. The buckles are smooth and the adjustment brackets are easy to loosen and tighten. So it all depends on how nice you want to go but there definitely is a difference in quality. Almost all schroth belts are FIA 5 yr belts too, which is why they are more. Most of the cheaper belts are SFI 2 yr. the Gforce is the only exception at $155 for FIA. But in my opinion the schroth Hans belts are a better harness.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 12-27-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    ...there is a huge difference in quality between g-force (lower end) and schroth (higher end) belts. ..
    Yup. When I built my car, I spent most of the budget on safety gear and tried to scrape by with a lot of used go-fast parts to at least finish the build and start racing. All of my research said the Scroth Profi II Hans harness was the way to go, so I did and have been really happy with it. Later, I put a passenger seat in the car and went with a cheaper harness. I couldn't believe the quality difference in the hardware. The 'el cheapo harness is MUCH harder to get in and out of. It's literally painful to work the adjusters through their full range...not Hollywood-style dramatic painful, just normal everyday annoying painful. You know...the kind that's mostly tolerable when it's hot outside but will make you cuss a blue streak every time it drops below 65 degrees.

Love my Schroth harness and will happily buy another just like it when this one expires in 2015.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Blog Entries
    Whatever is in the car now works fine but I thought I would try a pull up lap belt.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Misty has the Schroth enduro belts in her car and I have to say are the nicest belts I have ever seen. Adjustment is SO easy it's not funny...especially with the slider/FIA seat for different drivers.

I use the schroth regular FIA harness and it's been great too. They are also lighter and much more flexible than the "shipping strap" versions on the lower end. The schroth stuff is more like an OEM seatbelt material in your daily driver.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    The shoulder harness also doesn't wiggle itself loose mid way through a race either. Some of the cheaper belts would develop slack in the shoulders from constant stress so I had to pull on them to tighten them which was annoying. The schroth's don't do that. Schroth has a "clubman" belt which is only $200 and the best budget belt out there. If you don't want to spend a lot but want something durable, that's the belt for you. Problem is they are always on back order cause everyone wants them haha.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    The shoulder harness also doesn't wiggle itself loose mid way through a race either. Some of the cheaper belts would develop slack in the shoulders from constant stress so I had to pull on them to tighten them which was annoying. The schroth's don't do that. Schroth has a "clubman" belt which is only $200 and the best budget belt out there. If you don't want to spend a lot but want something durable, that's the belt for you. Problem is they are always on back order cause everyone wants them haha.
    I saw the clubman but it was as you said on back order. I have to get a new harness before MSRH.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I'm taking my passenger seat out for the weekend and you can use the harness from there if you can't get one before Houston. G-Force 6000BK It's not the best harness by any means, but it's not expired and I won't be needing it for the weekend. It's a 5-point though so it may not work if you only have the cutouts for the 6-point.