Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Spec Iron Rules Posted

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar

Rear Camber

I have a question about rear camber. The rules don't say anything about a limit to rear camber. They also don't have a statement about allowing a modification to the rear axle to allow rear camber. That's fine conceptually but in reality I've found that over years of hard abuse, the rear axle will often sag in the center effectively giving some rear camber. Depending on how you read the rules, there is no limit or anything other than zero is illegal. I believe it technically says the latter. If the desire is for zero, it would be good to have a +/- tolerance listed for reality. I would prefer to see a set limit at say -.5 degrees. I've been running -.8 degrees in my rear axle for years with the only drawback being increased wear on the clutch plates. I don't know how a Torsen would handle the camber...

Richard P.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    See this is the beginning of how spec rules become interpreted. Just like in spec miata, there are a hundred different things that will have to be clarrified and re-worded to make everything clear. Welcome to spec racing!! WHOOP!

I hope it works out - looks like Rehagen racing is anticipating a lot of demand...they have a seperate Spec Iron section on their website already.

I have a question too...the rules state you can use the M-2353-A ABS module but don't say anything about the HCU....so does that mean you can run the ABS w/o the upgraded HCU? From what I recall the stock HCU is not capable of doing what the racing module wants it to do (rate of cycling, etc).

Link below to Nats forum where I asked the same question, Per responses there the rules are being updated wrt the HCU.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=100152
    Last edited by BlueFirePony; 01-21-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Screw the General

Well I am personally so excited that I bought this car two days ago in the wake of the announcement. My LS1 is for sale cheap too if anyone wants it. =)
    Starting the Cage in February.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NASA13 View Post
    Well I am personally so excited that I bought this car two days ago in the wake of the announcement.
    Very cool. It will be great to have you back at the track. It was also great to see your old car back at the track. Apparently it will be racing again soon.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    Very cool. It will be great to have you back at the track. It was also great to see your old car back at the track. Apparently it will be racing again soon.

Richard P.
    I cant wait!
    I am glad Mr McCormick is at the track in old yeller.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Me and Corey are going to take the track by storm haha. The two smurf cars are going to dominate!

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Ill be there too, just not sure when. I think this class is gonna do very well once it gets going.
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wirtz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NASA13 View Post
    Well I am personally so excited that I bought this car two days ago in the wake of the announcement. My LS1 is for sale cheap too if anyone wants it. =)
    Starting the Cage in February.

Can't believe no-one mentioned it was off in the grass already...

Quote Originally Posted by Wirtz View Post
    Can't believe no-one mentioned it was off in the grass already...
    I can always count on you Wirtz! If you will get off your butt and come to the track you can drive my car and tell me how to make it go "wirtz" fast.
    It takes years to train my cars to get accustomed to the grass and how to go on and off without disrupting my lap times. I am just getting the new girl comfortable in the weeds. She did fine the first time.