Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen setup questions. . . don't be stingy!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Tire pressures: running mid-high 20s starting. This too low?

Spring rates: Went up to 750F/250R Running 32F/19R bars.

Front camber: I know it's too high, can't get an accurate reading but suspect it is above 2.6*

What should I aim for front camber/caster/toe when it's on the rack? -2.2 camber, max caster, 0 toe?

What should my starting pressures be?
    Since as long as I can remember I ran 700/225 (subject to edit) springs.

Made spring change for TWS DOWN to 600/175 (car was too low without the factory spring spacers in the rear), I think 32/21 bars on the car, first time out on RRs and 29 front / 28 rear, about 2.ish camber / 4ish caster. If I measured it I would go for 1/8"-ish toe in since I still have the factory control arm bushings.

Koni singles, rear full FIRM, fronts several sweeps from firm but I think I'm going go up for Hallett test day.

Tyler took temps once for me and shook his head since they seemed to have the right relative spread.

I thought the car was a little more raceable, i.e. R4 I was able to go inside the 34 between 1 and 2, but maybe reminded me of the Toyota truck in the sense that you just had to get it all loaded up, but it was entirely predictable. (I know, I shouldn't have changed tires and springs at the same time...)
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    On my gauge, my starting pressures are generally 27+/- psi. I have the small rear bar and 275s out back, I had trouble with it at PPIR being loose despite it working well at Pueblo last year. Brian let me run his last year RRs and they were a full second faster there than my last year RA1s. I think I want some 250s and then use a bigger bar out back for the pushy tracks. I also need to get a template for recording tire temps, what do you guys use?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Threw it on the alignment rack, driver's side had 2.3*, passenger 3.3* camber

Man was I off.

In the end I'm now at 2.2* camber, 4.9* caster, 0* toe.

Let's see how it plays out tomorrow!

You done your corners yet? I'm on that now like a fat chic at a buffet. Too bad the rear spacers are in the trailer and I'm a few too many beers in to go grab them. I figured an adjustment at 1 wheel would show at the opposite corner. Not so much. My averages are good, but l/r disparity blows. Going to tweak for greater consistency tomorrow. Mr. Francis are you reading? I've got a borderline deghettofied, halfway sorted out car this time around! The driver? Don't put much stock in him.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Mr. Francis are you reading? I've got a borderline deghettofied, halfway sorted out car this time around! The driver? Don't put much stock in him.
    I always figured I was on borrowed time... Good think I race better than I qualify. What kind of beer is it you said you like?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    I always figured I was on borrowed time... Good think I race better than I qualify. What kind of beer is it you said you like?
    I just signed up, forgot to put something in sponsor block to taunt you. I'm the same though in that I tend to qualify shitty then once I've got something to chase I'm on it. . . until I finally do pass then I don't know what to do next. I'm a total beer slut. I'll likely have an IPA, a lager, and something red or brown in the cooler. Colorado will do that to you, can't swing a dead cat without hitting a mircobrewery. About to go reattack my corners now. It's weird to read about this, talk about this, then I finally do it and the scales are responding. I'm hoping the car responds too, but I kinda suspect I won't really notice anything. Whether it turns better left or right can often be more attributed to the camber, speed, sharpness, etc of a curve. I think.

So while a 1/8" shift in the shock collar up front provided about a 70# shift, a 3/32" spacer out back did absolutely nothing. Cranking the front up helps to make the ride height more even from left to right, and jacking the rear will only increase the disparity in ride height from left to right. Conversely, the changes that improve ride height disparity adversely affect the l/r weight splits. Diagonals are pretty damn close now though, so the averages of the 2 are close. I imagine it would be ideal to have the l/r split be even which would imply that the diagonals would be perfect, but the changes required for that would leave me with a real odd stance. Does this mean that the tub is noticeably tweaked? Do I need to get this thing on a frame rack?

Couple notes: that first adjustment was a fluke. I reverted to even collar heights and the weight didn't change. Second note was that I did this with sways connected, so I get to do it all over again.

Figured I'd plug this in here. Not the difference in width. The RA1s are on SS wheels and the RRs are on Z06 wheels. Is the difference in width due to the rims or are the RRs actually wider too?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    9.5 vs 9" between those two wheels.