Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Ram Air

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I've added A/C back in my car and it now blows directly onto the air filter. Is that OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Wow talk about overcomplicating something that is really quite simple.
    It's clearly not that simple if we've got 30 posts on the topic. Racers are (and should) always be looking for an advantage. I've been working on my 'engine bay cooling' for the long back stretch this Sunday!

Just kidding of course...

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Just watching this thread. Knocked some tire boogers out of my $7.99 Fram air filter that goes in my side-draw LT1 airbox.

RAM AIR!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    I've added A/C back in my car and it now blows directly onto the air filter. Is that OK?
    Absolutely. You'll be set for the first 2 turns and after that you'll overheat and get your doors sucked off. Or dyno with the AC on, run with it off.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    Wow talk about overcomplicating something that is really quite simple. The best way a racer can "protect themselves" is by not installing something that any reasonable person could construe as being able to provide increased air pressure at the intake. If you believe ram air doesn't actually work, then you have no reason to have anything other than a system that is obviously not capable of creating a ram air effect.
    Al-you lost everyone in this group when you said "reasonable person". Seems obvious that even the directors disagree on what constitutes ram air and what should be allowed/not allowed.

There isn't even an answer to whether a 93-97 car with an LS can run the factory LS air filter or if one can run the factory LS filter with an LT.

A director explained to me that unless it's a sealed system grabbing air then it's not a ram air and legal. This would include trimming the bottom of the LS tray which clearly isn't sealed.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Absolutely. You'll be set for the first 2 turns and after that you'll overheat and get your doors sucked off. Or dyno with the AC on, run with it off.
    That's why my cool suit blower is plumbed into my sealed air intake and my fan switch engages the line lock with a small amount of pressure for the rear wheels.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    any reasonable person could construe as being able to provide increased air pressure at the intake.
    I believe that the air filter directly open to the front of the car (i.e., a 120 mph blast at the end of the COTA back straight) could provide increased air pressure. Does that settle it? Fuck, we're probably now stuck on the definition of a reasonable person. I think I'm screwed on that one...

RichardP

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Al-you lost everyone in this group when you said "reasonable person". Seems obvious that even the directors disagree on what constitutes ram air and what should be allowed/not allowed.

There isn't even an answer to whether a 93-97 car with an LS can run the factory LS air filter or if one can run the factory LS filter with an LT.

A director explained to me that unless it's a sealed system grabbing air then it's not a ram air and legal. This would include trimming the bottom of the LS tray which clearly isn't sealed.
    Bear in mind for something that questionable I would require data to allow it, but if the data supports it then it is what it is. My point is that I don't like the idea that something can be deemed illegal at a glance because one person perceives it is ram air. The way the rule is written allows just that with no opportunity to objectively prove oneself one way or the other. In the case of the hacked up LS airbox, there is still a leak that flows 300whp unrestricted that, as far as I can tell, has no appreciable positive air pressure trying to force it's way in.

This LS airbox may be a bit of a 1 off. I think it's worth validating with actual data and perhaps specifying how many square inches can be removed.
    Last edited by Supercharged111; 09-12-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    RM CMC Director

Blog Entries
    1. Can we get an answer on the LT cars that have swapped to the LS being able to run the factory original bottom air box?

2. Can we get an answer on the LT cars being able to run the factory original bottom air box?

Those should be an easy yes?

Then we can get into the definition of ram air and whether cutting the plastic is the same as removing the headlight and installing a duct to grab air and direct it at the open air filter. We don't use data for much more important considerations so why would we start with this? Also, I have no clue how to obtain data on my LS1 or a 5.0, 4.6 etc.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Not sure I understand what "bottom air box" means, but the only stock unmodified air/filter assembly I am aware of that is not legal is the LS SS one, regardless of what body the engine is updated/backdated into.

My definition has always been that if the cross section flow area that lets the air into the "duct" is larger than the cross section area of the TB and any bypasses to the TB then you have the makings for increasing pressure...so don't do that.
    Al Fernandez