Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
I witnessed Pranav do an emergency lane change with his trailer at highway speed that involved a lane change that would have made any autocrosser in a CRX proud. Except he was in his truck with trailer, #54, etc...

It was impressive. I was sold on the weight distributing/anti-sway hitch after that!
Yea for sure. I have two different types of WD hitches.....one is an Anderson WD Hitch which is unconventional (pain in the ass to setup and doesnt work as well), and a typical trunnion bar WD hitch that Mike Plum let me have inclusive when I bought his car with the trailer and all. I used his WD hitch from California and the trailer pulled amazing. I'll be using it anytime I hook up. It doesnt have sway control, but I never once felt I needed it. Between the weight and strength of the Excursion, the WD hitch, and the nice smooth running torsion axles on the trailer, it was the best pulling experience I have ever had. But Im loosing about 2000lbs downgrading from the Excursion to the Yukon. So, sway control may be something I will need to invest in. We'll see. If I have to put a bunch of band-aids on this concept (sway control, air bags, transmission ect) then I will just keep the Excursion and find another way to raise some cash.

The Yukon is just a temporary tow vehicle to get me through the 2019 season (really only 3 or 4 events, plus an ATV camping trip to Oliver Springs TN with my kiddos probably with my flatbed). So it only needs to survive 5 towing trips.

I wouldn't bother with hindering speed. If you're gonna hold it in 3rd and the converter is locked that's as good as it gets. Just haul ass if you want to ASSuming you have an auxiliary cooler, as long as that converter is locked and coolant holds its own the trans will too. I have a trans temp gauge in my 1500 and learned enough about how the trans operates to not bother with a gauge in the 3500. Plus what Pranav said, but I think you already have a WD hitch?
I agree a locked TC is the way to tow and keeps the trans temps down, however, the 4L60 has a weak sun gear that tends to strip the splines, or snap completely regardless of heat. I assume most break because folks are spraying nitrous or have beefed up their engine in some way that the sun gear couldnt hold up. Maybe behind a stock 255hp/330lbft vortec 350 it wouldnt hurt it regardless of the load. IDK. My life is always an adventure, and I tend to ride the envelope of limitations lol.