Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New body Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Be that as it may, my car has been on track since about 2004 so take that for what it's worth. Miata is likely similarly flimsy but is smaller, lighter, and runs smaller tires so doesn't see the loads that our cars do. I haven't missed any races due to the crack in my trans tunnel. Wheel bearings can also be driven around. My argument against the newer stuff is it's a lot more expensive. The issues you bring up are, IMO, minor and mitigatable. For about $1200 you can have nuke proof 4th gen front hubs, much cheaper than a newer platform. Even then I just keep spares in the trailer and only lose 1 every other season or so. I personally haven't seen any cracked k members. Trans tunnel cracks can be welded, Mustang torque boxes are allowed to be reinforced. What's left?
    Not looking to have an argument just pointing a few things out. If I was going to build a brand new car right now with the option of CMC or a new CMC-like class for newer cars, I personally wouldn't start with a fox platform or an old 3rd/4th gen.

- Josh
    CMC #50

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    If given a choice between an s197 and a 4th gen, I'd take the s197 all day.

Let's face it the Fox/F-body platforms are absolute shit.

Crappy chassis, crappy suspensions, neither chassis come with good brakes, and you really can't run a stock 5.0/t5 anymore, etc.

S197s are good to go out of the box and prepping them for W2W are more of a "bolt on" affair rather than the "cut here and weld this here" we deal with our chassis.

Not complaining but Sook's point to the newer chassis just being considerably easier to start with is totally valid.

Our cars are just a lot cheaper to start with than s197s but that gap is closing over time.

This is not a "s197 and 5th gens belong in CMC" discussion, just a comparison between how much easier the newer stuff is to start with.

I don't want the new cars running in CMC with us, we've all already spent enough time/money developing our cars for this class.
    Last edited by Pranav; 04-09-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    There are more 99-04 mustangs than 90-05 miatas, and they are pretty cheap, don't know the production numbers on GT vs V6 though.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post
    Not looking to have an argument just pointing a few things out. If I was going to build a brand new car right now with the option of CMC or a new CMC-like class for newer cars, I personally wouldn't start with a fox platform or an old 3rd/4th gen.

- Josh
    +1.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sook View Post

- Josh
    Same here, but some of the stuff brought up is really easy to deal with. I like knowing that, if I put my car into a wall tomorrow, I can find a donor for under a grand and be back on track for under 10k. S197 is coming down in price, but the 5th gen is still a bit much for me to walk away from in the event of a loss. No question they are vastly superior and rigid platforms, but we already tried to let the S197 in and that didn't work out so well. I'd sooner run Spec Corvette than try to CMC a 5th gen.
    RM CMC Director