Thread: Video killed the radio star

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    The big benefit of the data acquisition stuff is to look for comparisons between different cars on the track at the same time to find outliers that should be investigated further. It can't really be used for compliance like a dyno that applies corrections for atmospheric conditions. You can't set a maximum compliance acceleration number that can't be exceeded, for example. Cars are going to perform differently in different conditions. There is also uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, draft, etc. We don't want to get in a position where people are saying wow, the conditions are crap, I bet I could get away with a bigger restrictor without popping my max number. Or: Oh, crap! A front blew in during the race and half the field was disqualified!

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    The big benefit of the data acquisition stuff is to look for comparisons between different cars on the track at the same time to find outliers that should be investigated further. It can't really be used for compliance like a dyno that applies corrections for atmospheric conditions. You can't set a maximum compliance acceleration number that can't be exceeded, for example. Cars are going to perform differently in different conditions. There is also uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, draft, etc. We don't want to get in a position where people are saying wow, the conditions are crap, I bet I could get away with a bigger restrictor without popping my max number. Or: Oh, crap! A front blew in during the race and half the field was disqualified!

Richard P.
    I don't know if it'd be grounds for DQ, but you could seal some hoods. It may may be a little painful at first, but then again if the entire field appears to have picked up a head of steam shouldn't the likely conclusion be an environmental change?
    RM CMC Director

We've used GPS devices to compare cars and test rules for balance over the years. We're actually on the third generation of such devices with the AIM Solo2. Before that, NASA had Traqmate boxes, and before that we had these little pager shaped gizmos which we'd mount with these rubber boots that had magnets. I remember I had about twice as many of the boots as actual devices and I'd mount the empty boots on cars anyway lol.

I've not had a chance to play with the Solo2 but according to the AIM guys, the technology has matured such that they are far more accurate than before. Richard's statements still hold true, however. You cant use GPS to compare to dyno numbers since the GPS data is affected by ambient conditions, aero drag, rolling resistance, road inclination... That said, you certainly can use it to measure relative power across cars during the same session, spot a difference, and then go hunting for a reason on the car. That is exactly what happened in AI at Champs this year.
    Al Fernandez