PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Todd's Wild Ride- The NTSB Report & Saga Update

Todd Covini
05-09-2007, 12:20 AM
(The names and dates have been changed to protect the innocent.)

After nearly an hour of practice track time on the new backwards configuration of TWS, the driver of the #2 CMC car was still having difficulty learning the proper line off of the front straight.

After much pleading and begging, expert driver, instructor and celebrity, Mitch W offered a lead-follow exercise to assist with the learning process. Overhearing such goodwill, Bryan L, a professional crash test dummy and future CMC-2 competitor requested to ride along in the open-air Mustang.

About this same time, crazy-man Corey and daunting Donovan arrived to the track mid-afternoon and were hoping to get up on the learning curve as quickly as possible in order to salvage the remaining hours of practice time. Both of them overheard the savvy soldiers were heading out on track and quickly got in line to march out on track.

Upon saddling up his Mustang, Todd noted to Bryan that they would "just do 2 or 3 laps".

The 4 cars proceeded on track and attempted to keep up with the White "X" Pontiac wisking around the track at lightning speeds as they all learned the preferred line from the infamous GM driver.

After one lap, Corey and David apparently had enough instruction and quickly passed Todd to get a closer look behind Mitch for a lap. (Corey's "closer look" resulted in various gravel sprays and a "farther look" for Todd, but that's a whole other story. :roll: ) After lap 3, Todd motioned to Bryan as they crossed start/finish "one more lap".

The driving pace was kicked up a notch and it was now feeling like "competition". At that point, Mitch backed out between TWS 6 & 7 to let all the others by. For a brief moment, Todd contemplated also backing down with Mitch and sticking to the original "2 or 3 lap" plan...and then decided to continue on in pursuit of the AI & CMC cars. (A decision which would haunt him in the seconds that followed.)

With David & Corey in his sights and Bryan at his side, the thrill of racing was among them all. David late braked into Turn 6 at the top of 4th gear on the back straight....which forced Corey to late brake...which forced Todd to late brake...but had no brakes!

CMC#2 was reported to be in a skid however it was later found that the right rear banjo washer had let go and was allowing the pedal to go to the floor. Failing to make the turn at speed, they drove the car straight off until finally resting many yards away thru some brush and against a tree.

Only after Todd & Bryan got out, did they realize the distance travelled, the Dukes style jump over the service road (approx. 35 feet distance), the landing near the drainage pipe and final jump out of the ditch prior to ending up in the trees.

Once the helicopters and search crews were able to find them, It was determined that it would be easier to drive the car out of the brush rather than try to come get the car. The CMC Mustang started right up and drove right out and up onto the flat bed...with substantial damage yet TBFD (To Be Fully Determined).

Pics to follow in the appendix.

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
05-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Pics are too big...need to resize.
Here's the approach.

Todd Covini
05-09-2007, 12:34 AM
The journey to the base of the radio tower. :cry:

Todd Covini
05-09-2007, 12:35 AM
The Jump.

Todd Covini
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
The Landing Area.

Todd Covini
05-09-2007, 12:42 AM
You get the picture.

donovan
05-09-2007, 02:34 AM
The session recieved a black flag... we all rolled into the pit lane. I was the frist car in the line, so I got to hear all the radio communication from the tow truck and corner workers to race control.

"Covini parked his car way off track, its going to be a few minutes."

a few minutes later...

"Uhm, he is way way out there..., its going to take awhile, have the drivers turn off there cars and tell them its going to be about 5 minutes."

Five minutes later...

"We are still looking for Covini... are you sure he did not pull back on to the track?"

a few more minutes later...

"I found him, I found him... he is way way way way off track..."

"Covini is coming in on the sled, he was all the way into the trees, I have not seen anyone go off that far before."

mitchntx
05-09-2007, 06:53 AM
The pace? competition? I was just scuffing in a set of new tires.

Just before the on-track tutorial, I overheard Todd tell Al that he was gonna show Rob Liebbe how it was done. At the time, I didn't understand.

I kept looking in my rear view and saw the side of Corey's car numerous times.

As Todd went by, I thought I heaard Bryan yelling and screaming.

I was directly behind Todd when he went off. There was a HUGE cloud of blue smoke, then dust rolling through the air, then nothing, then more dust.

Rob Liebbe
05-09-2007, 08:50 AM
During corporate testing at TWS, I actually parked on that gravel road as a safe place while we were running cars CW through turns #7, #6, #5. Guess I will have to find another safe place - maybe closer to the track or when Todd's not there would be good.

BryanL
05-09-2007, 02:49 PM
"The names and dates have been changed to protect the innocent."
Changing names to people at the track doesn't protect the innocent. Or are you a fan of "Raising Arizona" and using code names. Though I'm sure your stunt co-pilot appreciated feeling the "competition" mode. Too bad you weren't carrying a cooler full of Bud Light. Would have been nice to have a beer down in the quiet peaceful woods.
Really the highlight was still seeing you back the car out and up onto the wrecker. Gave a new meaning to the slogan Built Ford Tough.

That jump really makes me appreciate what Bo and Luke Duke did to the General Lee. Todd-I don't think your Ranger will bring 10 large but I could still see it being towed in a caravan on I35 headed to Mexico.
Maybe we should think about running it in the Paris-Dakar Rally.

Luke Duke

NASA13
05-16-2007, 11:55 AM
This is how the real NTSB report would have read.

Cause of accident car # NE1469
Pilot error:
Improper pre flight procedure resulting in loss of brake line pressure.

I hate the NTSB I am going to go check my brake lines now.
:lol:

I am really sorry that happened Todd. Call me for a rebuild or parts party in Houston.

gt40
05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Be advised -- Todd's tracks are still out there a week later. :D

BryanL
05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
So Todd do you have any report on the front end damage? Possibility of making it to Houston?
I am planning on coming to Houston but it will depend on my engine situation.
Bryan

Todd Covini
05-28-2007, 12:34 AM
No update on the front end damage just yet.
The CMC car still sits on the trailer with no time to take it to a shop until after next week.
I'll definately be at Houston, but without the car.
(Al will have the driving duties again that weekend.)

I continue to weigh my options on what to do after what the frame shop tells me it's going to take. (Cost/Benefit Analysis). This weekend I rolled my other chassis out of the garage, bolted on some AI wheels/tires and thought about a "True AI/CMC" car...CMC drivetrain...AI body/suspension and AI Legal. Hmmm...could be kinda cool. Pricing that conversion and will compare it to the "repair/straighten" option.

(I Wonder what we could get the weight of this tank down to with some Pedersen/Mosty type tactics!!!)

j3ffbrooks
05-28-2007, 12:41 PM
No Brainer.......even if you can fix the 88. Get that Fastback together.

Seeing as there are no shocks sticking out of the front towers I take it you have a Griggs SLA.

gt40
05-29-2007, 09:01 AM
This weekend I rolled my other chassis out of the garage, bolted on some AI wheels/tires and thought about a "True AI/CMC" car...CMC drivetrain...AI body/suspension and AI Legal. Hmm -- an AI car with CMC power. Where have I seen that before?

Oh yes -- in my garage.

I really can't recomend it...

Todd Covini
05-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Seeing as there are no shocks sticking out of the front towers I take it you have a Griggs SLA.

Nope....no shocks...no coil springs...nothing up front. 8)
But the Griggs GR-350 with SLA is the slated suspension for it after saving my sheckles.

-=- T

Todd Covini
05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
The CMC car is going to the frame shop for an assessment Friday afternoon.

The market for '67 Fastback bodies is between $5k-$20k right now.

This decision could get very difficult and interesting!!!

-=- T

BryanL
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Good luck at the frame shop.

Even though I don't like mustangs I love anything old. Would love to see the fastback on the track someday. But why don't you just sell it and order a ringer from LAW Motorsports.

Todd Covini
06-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Much to Rob Liebbe's chagrin, I was unable to leave the office early today and drop my car off at the frame shop. I think the only way to get this done is take Rob up on his offer to bring it to work with him on Monday and leave it with them. Day jobs always get in the way of my racing career.

jeffburch
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah Rob :!:

jb

Todd Covini
06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
UPDATE ON CMC#2

Many thanks to Rob for getting me hooked up with a great shop.
Sounds/looks like the car is fixable.
I'm figuring on ~$2.5k and she'll be all "pretty" again.

In the process of collecting parts now. I've got a line on a complete front nose and I'll just replace all the front sheet metal and have a K-member and other parts just in case. Plan is to straighten it with the engine in...but more than likely, after it's straight...I'll pull the engine finish up the repairs.

Will probably have the frame shop true everything up in the next week or so. Then the car will get a shave & a haircut.....cleaning up all the little things that have been buggin' me.

My hope is to have it back in action before the final round of Texas racing to shake her down prior to my 2008 CMC Championship run (sorry Mitch).

I'll keep y'all updated.

-=- Todd

mitchntx
06-11-2007, 11:05 PM
prior to my 2008 CMC Championship run (sorry Mitch).

No worries, mate.

I've seen you drive ...

BryanL
06-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Glad to hear the Ranger will ride again.
Looks like I will miss you in Houston as my engine isn't finished yet. Should see you in october for the last race which will hopefully be my first.

Al Fernandez
06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Luckily you already had a new grill before that weekend was even over...so one less thing. :lol:

Glad to hear it Todd. This car is a legend.

donovan
06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Legend Smegend... Get a Roof!

NASA13
06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Good News.
I will donate a 4 eyed nose if you will convert. I have a few noses and hoods ready to make the car a classic.

Todd Covini
07-18-2007, 11:48 PM
UPDATE

I picked up this nearly complete parts car over the weekend and now have a spare everything. Will begin disassembly of the white car and reassembly of the black car this weekend.

If anyone needs parts let me know.
I'm selling the 8.8 and AOD tranny out of it.
On the fence about the 130k mi. motor...nice to have a spare, but if someone needs it I could let it go.

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
08-17-2008, 10:15 AM
UPDATE ON CMC#2

Since it's been over a year :roll: and there have been inquiries as to my car's whereabouts and condition, I thought I'd go check on it at the bodyshop to see how it's coming along.

Good news is that it's allegedly straight, off the frame machine and is no longer being used as a storage rack.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/251365.jpg

Bad news is that it still looks tweaked to me, still has dust on it and still doesn't have the nose bolted on.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/251363.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/251364.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/251387.jpg

As much as I want to go, ECR remains questionable for me primarily due to the work/family/relocation stuff which makes wrench time on the car impossible right now. (Otherwise, I'd just drag it home and put it back together again myself!)

The Kamaro Killer will be back....stay tuned.

-=- Todd

ShadowBolt
08-17-2008, 02:04 PM
It's all about priorities. If you keep putting your job and your family ahead of racing you will never get back on track. The real deal is your afraid of Team Jordan.

All kidding aside if you need anything I took off CMC17 your welcome to it. I have shocks, control arms, springs and such you can have if it will help get you back on track.

JJ

Al Fernandez
08-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Todd, what makes you think its still tweaked?

Fbody383
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM

If it was straight he'd have to bring it home and put it together...

...says the rookie with the Level 3 snap together...

Wirtz
08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Didn't you guys see the video of how to fix a fox3 with a tweaked chassis? I have a dually and recovery chain :twisted:

I think we need to all just show up to Todds place some weekend, tell him to go get BBQ lunch, and by the time he gets back we could have the car done...

mitchntx
08-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Didn't you guys see the video of how to fix a fox3 with a tweaked chassis? I have a dually and recovery chain :twisted:

Wow ... what a superior platform the Fox is ...

http://www.toondoo.com/public/a/m/i/amit/toons/cool-cartoon-32853.png

Todd Covini
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM

Look at the front head-on picture.
The driver's side is still higher than the passenger side.
There are other deeper issues on the car that need to be resolved even though it "strings fine".
It's going to take a total front suspension Remove, Inspect & Replace to make sure all is well before spanking the Camaro Firm of Wirtz, Burch, Landrum & Proctornandez.

mitchntx
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
before spanking the Camaro Firm of Wirtz, Burch, Landrum & Proctornandez.

meh ... by that time, the 2015 CMC3 rules will be in effect ...

AllZWay
08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Todd, what makes you think its still tweaked? Proctornandez.

Our cars came close to being one at TWS. :lol:

ShadowBolt
08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Todd, what makes you think its still tweaked? Proctornandez.

Our cars came close to being one at TWS. :lol:

So did ours!
I won't go so easily into the night in the future. I was snookered but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
JJ

Alien
08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Good luck wik the sale... hopefully this will bring some money to finish off the #2 car.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/807378882.html

:D

Todd Covini
09-12-2008, 07:22 PM
A convertible drag car...who would be so stupid as to build a convertible drag car?! What a maroon....What a loser.

My car is out of the shop and awaiting new suspension.
The saga continues....

ShadowBolt
09-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Please don't copy my set-up liKe all the other Fox guys. Remember soft is where it's at! YOU WANT LOTS OF BODY ROLL.

JJ