PDA

View Full Version : THANKS!

ShadowBolt
06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
I want to say thanks to everyone at the MSRH event for treating a newb like one of the gang. You all made me feel very welcome (I guess that was not all that hard after you saw how slow I ran LOL).

A special thanks goes out to Jeff Birch. Without his help and direction I would have missed the first session. Jeff hooked me up with all the right NASA people (chemical Ali and all the others) and pretty much led me step by step. THANKS JB!

I may need some help. Ali said I did fine at MSRH (he said he followed me a few times in the Red Mustang but I never saw him) but he wants me to do one more day of Racecraft then he will let me race the following day. What the hell am I going to learn in another DE day at TWS or MSRC? I have many DE days under my belt at both places and even one day at Cresson and two at TWS in CMC 17. Maybe I should have told him that? What should I do about this? I have so much respect for you guys going door to door. I know I have a lot to learn but I don't see how I will learn it in another day doing DE?

JJ

TEXAST1
06-26-2007, 09:24 AM
He said Race Craft. It is different from HPDE. Yo need to spend one day with me at TWS to learn about RACING not hot laps. :wink:

mitchntx
06-26-2007, 09:26 AM
I can certainly sense the frustration.

Keep in mind that NASA has to have a comfort level with your abilities. There have been a few squeaky wheels about the lack of overall experience being granted comp licenses. This might be some fallout from that.

Also realize, your donning the Red #17 car would be like a newb climbing behind the wheel of the black #3 Chevy in NASCAR.

Ever see the movie "Christine"?

:P :D

Hang in there Jerry.

ShadowBolt
06-26-2007, 10:42 AM
He said Race Craft. It is different from HPDE. Yo need to spend one day with me at TWS to learn about RACING not hot laps. :wink:

That's what I did not understand. I ask to do Race Craft Sunday when I signed up so I assumed that's what I supposedly did even though it was just another track day as far as I could tell. My intent was to do as much work towards my license as possible Sunday so I guess other than getting to know some great guys, I drove 400 miles and wasted the day? When I signed up I did not know what to sign up for so I said I want to work on getting my license. I did not know the procedure. That is probably my fault. I understand that I don't know anything about racing and running door to door. It's not that I think I'm so good that I should be racing already. Not at all! I'm totally in awe at how close these guys run together! I just did not understand how I was going to learn if Race Craft was just HPDE4? I'm HPDE'd to death. I was confused. Why did we not do Race Craft Sunday? Maybe you don't do Race Craft on Sunday? If I had a single complaint from Sun. (other than not doing Race Craft) it's that if a new guy does not have a friend to show him where to go and what to do he would be lost at his first NASA event........where is Tech, who are the instructors, what are the passing zones, do you only pass with a point, do we take a cool down lap? I assume this is discussed at the drivers meeting but I did not hear one announced or see it on the schedule for students so I went to the racers meeting and listened in. Please let me know what I should have done different or where I can find the information for myself.

Thanks,
Jerry

AllZWay
06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Kind of reminids of the last scene of the old Eddie Murphy movie... "Coming to America".

Gentleman: "Waiter will you taste my soup."
Waiter: "Something wrong with the soup?"
Gentleman: "just taste the soup."
Waiter: "Where's your spoon?"
Gentleman: :" ahh Ha !! " :lol:

jeffburch
06-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, I did the best I could and I KNOW I SAID RACECRAFT several times when I was with you speaking to Ali and KMix.
So...........

Back in the day I never did racecraft. Wanted to.
I did 1 hpde weekend (2 days) and was signed off on my little provisional book. Did the 4 (edited here from 8 ) races at the back and sent in the book for my licence.

Welcome to NASA Tx. Jerry!

jb

TEXAST1
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Jerry, were you there on Saturday? Most and all of hese questions were covered on Saturday morning. I don't remember you raising your hand in the first class room session.

I will admit I was not as involved as I should have been this weekend. I was somewhat distracted. I would like to have spent more time with Penny. He had a 4 day Bondurant School under his belt in addition to a HPDE 4.

Back in the Day when Mike and I ran the school together and the original group was starting to come through all we did was Racecraft. The original intent for NASA was only to have a race school never DEs.

Burch, when did you come through? I guarantee Mitch and Glenn and several others went through Racecraft. I seriously doubt you were signed off by me or Mike with only HPDE-1 under your belt. If you were it was a mistake, but have done well anyway! On that note not ever driver is created equal. Some take to this better than others.

For future reference please have any Racing Candidate Recruits talk to me before the event so we can all be on the same page and know what to expect. I do want and need everyone you can get to keep growing our racing family.

And Yes Jerry, Welcome to NASA TX!

KM

jeffburch
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Burch, when did you come through? I guarantee Mitch and Glenn and several others went through Racecraft. I seriously doubt you were signed off by me or Mike with only HPDE-1 under your belt. If you were it was a mistake, but have done well anyway! On that note not ever driver is created equal. Some take to this better than others.
KM

HPDE 4 May '05 MSRC
Back-o-pack 4races June '05 NPR
Grid as qual'd August '05 TWS
1st Win (3rd race) Aug 21 '05 TWS

MP signed me.

jb

donovan
06-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Jerry,

I did not get a chance to say Hi to you, Welcome to the group, I was busy racing and visiting other people.

The only advice I can give you with regards to the race weekend is that you should not expect anyone to come up to you and tell you everything you need to know or where you should be. You have to ask questions, lots of questions, and you have to go find the people yourself.

Everyone is very busy, and we all try to make ourselves available and we all try to make attempt to give everyone the correct information and guidance, especially the new guys. It was great that JB helped you and some of the other guys, that is awesome... but don't expect to be hand feed information, if you feel like you don't know something you have to ask, ask again and get clarification if you still don't know...

When I started out doing this four years ago I asked question after question after question, and when I noticed the person I was asking question was getting frustrated I moved on to the next guy until I exhausted him, then moved to the next guy. There is a ton of info to learn in order to get up to speed with just the regular weekend activities. Plus you have the Racecraft and license process to learn.

Get with Kmix at the next event, he will set you straight and get you taken care of... I went thru the Racecraft School with Kmix and MP back in the day; I owe a lot to those two for getting me up to speed fast and teaching me the ins and outs of the weekend.

Make a point to free up some time to come by and meet all the guys in CMC/AI as well. Every one of these guys is more than willing to help you out.

Welcome to the Group and Welcome to NASA Texas!!!

DD

ShadowBolt
06-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Jerry, were you there on Saturday? Most and all of hese questions were covered on Saturday morning.

I was not there last Sat. I just drove down Sat. night to run Sun.

Jerry

ShadowBolt
06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Jerry,

I did not get a chance to say Hi to you, Welcome to the group, I was busy racing and visiting other people.

The only advice I can give you with regards to the race weekend is that you should not expect anyone to come up to you and tell you everything you need to know or where you should be. You have to ask questions, lots of questions, and you have to go find the people yourself.

Everyone is very busy, and we all try to make ourselves available and we all try to make attempt to give everyone the correct information and guidance, especially the new guys. It was great that JB helped you and some of the other guys, that is awesome... but don't expect to be hand feed information, if you feel like you don't know something you have to ask, ask again and get clarification if you still don't know...

When I started out doing this four years ago I asked question after question after question, and when I noticed the person I was asking question was getting frustrated I moved on to the next guy until I exhausted him, then moved to the next guy. There is a ton of info to learn in order to get up to speed with just the regular weekend activities. Plus you have the Racecraft and license process to learn.

Get with Kmix at the next event, he will set you straight and get you taken care of... I went thru the Racecraft School with Kmix and MP back in the day; I owe a lot to those two for getting me up to speed fast and teaching me the ins and outs of the weekend.

Make a point to free up some time to come by and meet all the guys in CMC/AI as well. Every one of these guys is more than willing to help you out.

Welcome to the Group and Welcome to NASA Texas!!!

DD

Thanks David!

One question for you. Do you know a shop in the Austin area that will do a weld in cage? If not I'm going to take the car out of town but I thought I would ask about a local guy first.

JJ

mitchntx
06-26-2007, 01:06 PM
I guarantee Mitch and Glenn and several others went through Racecraft.

KM

Yessir ... the weekend we scared off the Mini Cooper owners.

Jay: "We've had a few reports of you 2 driving pretty reckless. Said that they thought you were going to hit them."

Me: "Really? Were they driving a mini Cooper?"

Jay: "Yes, they were."

Me: "When parked at track out of turn 9 (TWS) yes, you are likely to get hit."

Jay: "Parked?"

Me: "Yes ... as in not moving."

Jay: "He forgot to mention that small detail."

Jay: "BTW ... don't come back unless you are in a real race car."

Real conversation in the fall of 2004.

BryanL
06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Great story from Mitch and the Mullet guys driving their F-bodies.

Jerry I am new and working on getting my license as well. Look forward to meeing you at Houston in October. You should talk to Todd Covini (just talk with him don't go for a ride with him) about it as well. I think they will want to get on track with you to see how you handle traffic before they let you take the green flag. I have been told that Mixon/Ali may sign off on your provisional but the series still has to be comfortable with your driving abilities. Don't know what times you were running but I think they have told me they want rookies able to run close to the group before they want you racing???? Maybe someone could elaborate on this.

Like Kmix said most of your complaints were addressed in the saturday morning meeting. The rest I think are reasons why one needs at least a practice weekend to become familiar with the whole program.

Otherwise it is a great group of guys who really go out of there way to help out rookies. Since you are already complaining it sounds like you will fit in well. Now just start complaining about those GM's.

Bryan

y5e06
06-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Do you know a shop in the Austin area that will do a weld in cage?

CMC #44 version 2.0 (Team WarHorse), CMC #19 (Wirtz), and CMC #95 cages were all done by a local guy named Bill Buck. If you want to see the cages you might take a look at mine or Jeff's. Its up to you to decide who to go with. The quality of work is pretty good, but Bill needs some guidance on how specifically you want it built as he's traditionally a drag race/circle track chassis builder. Jeff's opinion may/may not vary somewhat from mine.

If interested we can try to dug up his number as I believe he's relocated.

ShadowBolt
06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Great story from Mitch and the Mullet guys driving their F-bodies.

Jerry I am new and working on getting my license as well. Look forward to meeing you at Houston in October. You should talk to Todd Covini (just talk with him don't go for a ride with him) about it as well. I think they will want to get on track with you to see how you handle traffic before they let you take the green flag. I have been told that Mixon/Ali may sign off on your provisional but the series still has to be comfortable with your driving abilities. Don't know what times you were running but I think they have told me they want rookies able to run close to the group before they want you racing???? Maybe someone could elaborate on this.

Like Kmix said most of your complaints were addressed in the saturday morning meeting. The rest I think are reasons why one needs at least a practice weekend to become familiar with the whole program.

Otherwise it is a great group of guys who really go out of there way to help out rookies. Since you are already complaining it sounds like you will fit in well. Now just start complaining about those GM's.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I was only running mid 157's first session but got it down to 155.2 in the second session. First session after lunch I forgot to look at my times but I had a Caddy that would not get out of the way so I doubt they were very good. Still five seconds off the fastest guys. And here I thought you were all just waiting for me to show you the way. Boy did I find out how slow I am!

JJ

Todd Covini
06-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Jerry,
1:55's would be in the field and toward the back on the starting grid.
Some people race for years before being in the top 3rd of the field. (raises hand)

It was great to put a name with a face and I enjoyed all the Q&A's we had. Another good tip would be to come to our AI/CMC driver's meetings typically before lunch. It's there where we introduce the new folks and generally discuss how the flow of the weekend goes. Plenty of time for Q&A's there...and you'll get a feeling for who'll help and who'll hinder you. :lol:

-=- Todd

PS- Welcome to NASA Texas!!! ...as everyone said, Kevin Mixon should now be your primary contact to get into the race program, the directors and everyone else here can help you as well, once you start running with us!

TEXAST1
06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all of the positive re-enforcement guys! 8) We'll get Jerry and Bryan up to speed.

donovan
06-26-2007, 04:58 PM

CMC #44 version 2.0 (Team WarHorse), CMC #19 (Wirtz), and CMC #95 cages were all done by a local guy named Bill Buck. If you want to see the cages you might take a look at mine or Jeff's. Its up to you to decide who to go with. The quality of work is pretty good, but Bill needs some guidance on how specifically you want it built as he's traditionally a drag race/circle track chassis builder. Jeff's opinion may/may not vary somewhat from mine.

If interested we can try to dug up his number as I believe he's relocated.

I did my own cage... but see Morgans post, I have see these cages and they are top notch, I would run one in my cars, but I like to do the work myself.

Again, definelty come by and spend alot of time in the paddock next time you are out... bring your camera and take lost of photos of the other cars in CMC and AI to get ideas for cages and safety items. Bring a note pad and take notes as there is a ton of info to take in. I'm looking forward to meeting you, its great to see someone eager to learn and take in information and feedback from the group.

Something to think about, at the next event... On Saturday we usually finish up racing around 4:00-5:00, then we hang out at the track in the paddock area or we all go out to eat as a group, plan on hanging out till late into the evening... its a great time to meet the entire group and let us share what we know to help you out.

DD

Wirtz
06-26-2007, 05:12 PM

CMC #44 version 2.0 (Team WarHorse), CMC #19 (Wirtz), and CMC #95 cages were all done by a local guy named Bill Buck. If you want to see the cages you might take a look at mine or Jeff's.
<snip>

Yeah, Bill did my car. I made the design and gave him the drawings, he did the bending and welding. I'm pretty happy with it and I could add some info for you about spots that could have gone a little better, but no real complaints.

I also know a guy in Austin that does amazing cages. He is also a NHRA background guy but did my ITS car cage. His stuff is the best I have found but he has longer lead times. I could not use him for the CMC car because he was booked 3 months out at the time. Shops name was ProComp. If you want his contact info let me know and I will dig it up so you can get some different quotes.

Jeff

ShadowBolt
06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks Todd, Kevin, David and Jeff.

I hope I was not coming off like I was complaining Kevin. I just thought another day of doing exactly what I did Sunday was not going to serve any purpose. I am worried about running side by side since I've never done it and did not realize that we would be working on that next time. I don't want in the race group until I'm ready whenever that is!

Then I have to learn to put the SMACK down and become a cheatin bastard! Is that how it works?

Thanks again guys'
JJ

TEXAST1
06-26-2007, 05:33 PM
You know it!

donovan
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
You're catching on quick... you will fit in just fine!!!

DD 8)

David Love AI27
06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks Todd, Kevin, David and Jeff.

I hope I was not coming off like I was complaining Kevin. I just thought another day of doing exactly what I did Sunday was not going to serve any purpose. I am worried about running side by side since I've never done it and did not realize that we would be working on that next time. I don't want in the race group until I'm ready whenever that is!

Then I have to learn to put the SMACK down and become a cheatin bastard! Is that how it works?

Thanks again guys'
JJ

I did a "fast track" getting my provisional and liked starting from the back... My best learing experience was starting right behind the fast cars in the inverted starts... lots to learn from watching... My attitude differs from most since I have blown my racing budget, my concern is leaving the track with car intact, so I tend to leave lots of room for others....

my daughter, Amber, took longer to "get up to speed" but she was very aware of other cars around her... after asking about getting her provisional Kevin and Ali watched her closely as Adam G. dogged her for a couple of laps...

The key is communication!!! The staff for NASATX deals with a lot of people and don't always know exactly what your intentions are, so make sure you talk to Kevin about YOUR plans and he will lead you on the right path... remember also that he is doing double duty as an instructor and racer and I have found that it is good to stay in constant contact with him throughout the weekend (he will let you know when he is too busy, so go away for a little while and go back later)... the point is nobody really has the time to hunt you down... grid early, remind Kevin or Ali to keep an eye on you and make sure to catch them at the end of each day with your "passport" to get your paperwork in order... I just recently got my competition liscence and have two family members working on theirs so I would be happy to help...

Todd Covini
06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all of the positive re-enforcement guys! 8) We'll get Jerry and Bryan up to speed.

....and don't forget Chuck and....and....and..... :lol:

marshall_mosty
06-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Jerry,
Not many of us have "super secret squirl" stuff going on (except for maybe cam selection among the AI guys...) otherwise the majority will share their whole setup as well as the trials and tribulations we encountered while getting to where we are.

I'll be at TWS & MSR-H for the last 2 events and look forward to meeting you. Stop by and say "hi".

ShadowBolt
06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks David and Marshall!

JJ

evarner
06-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Definitely work on seat time before thinking about changing the current setup. The car is capable of running high 1:48's like it sits (been there, done that in it).

Again, seat time and listening to those at the track will help. Doing a lead/follow with the faster guys will bring you up to speed quickly.

/cheers

TEXAST1
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Is that MSR Cresson? :twisted: :D

donovan
07-02-2007, 01:02 PM
...The car is capable of running high 1:48's like it sits (been there, done that in it)...

Not to get picky, but yes, you did get a single 1:48.997 at MSRH...

But according to Mylaps, you average best lap is in the 1:50.5xx range...

I guess that is kind of like saying you bought something for $5 when it was really $5.99...

DD 8)

(Looking thru mylaps data the best lap I could find is 1:48.997)

Rob Liebbe
07-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Probably when he went straight through Bus Stop instead of going through it. That would shave off about a second. :D

NASA13
07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
That is my super secret qualifying line Liebbe. Thanks for blowing it.
geez Cant trust Liebbe wth anything.

Todd Covini
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Corey,
Your secret was out years ago at No Problem Raceway. :roll: :lol:
<<roll the tape!>>

-=- T

evarner
07-04-2007, 09:37 PM
...The car is capable of running high 1:48's like it sits (been there, done that in it)...

Not to get picky, but yes, you did get a single 1:48.997 at MSRH...

But according to Mylaps, you average best lap is in the 1:50.5xx range...

I guess that is kind of like saying you bought something for $5 when it was really $5.99...

DD 8)

(Looking thru mylaps data the best lap I could find is 1:48.997)

I'm confused <nothing new in my world> lol Yes, it's being really picky too. :D I guess it would be warranted if I had said 1:48. When cars get as quick as they are, every tenth counts. Please don't take anything away from those that have to work hard to get every .0001 out of a CMC car!!!

If the car wasn't capable, then it wouldn't exist - correct? Obviously it's capable otherwise it would be a lie, correct? It wasn't mentioned as an average either before the quote above, correct? Averaging has no place in racing (especially after drag racing 10 years) lol :D

If something can be done once, then most likely it can be repeated. :D Just like running a 1:28.843 at Hallett my first time there. Didn't have a chance to back it up though and the track record is currently 1:29.635 (gratz Jeff!!). :D

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the car is capable of now. :D

Remember: Have fun and be safe out there. :D

mitchntx
07-05-2007, 07:01 AM
From a marketing standpoint, a person could have said "high 40s" and still been within the spirit of the truth.

This is typically what I do. 8)

evarner
07-05-2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.tek-racing.net/happycat.jpg

donovan
07-05-2007, 09:30 AM
By no way was I trying to take away from anything you have done in CMC with your Mustang. :?

No need to get defensive about your accomplishments, we were there, we know how fast you are. When the car showed up at the track at the last event even a few of the current CMC racers did a double take and made a run for the bathroom… and one got sick in a trash can.

The point was that the new owner came in here stating a bit of frustration all around and we all had chimed in to help a new racer out.

We all went thru the lap time progression thing as we came up to speed and became acclimated to the racing we do. I did not want to give him the false sense that he should be running consistent 1:48's in the car... I was pointing out to him that even you, the best of the best Mustang CMC racers only had a single 1:48... and your average lap time was higher... seem like a much better goal for a new racer in a new car that is already a little frustrated.

Yes, you did give a great comment about not changing anything and work on seat time, but stating that the car is capable of 1:48's and leaving it at that is very open ended and could be take many different ways, I just presented facts to make it clear.

http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/SmilingCat2.jpg

jeffburch
07-05-2007, 10:14 AM
HeHe OMG!
I rolled out of the rack at 1st light on Sun morn.
Matt's trailer parked next to JJ's rig.
Barely awake. Head for the bathroom and BOOM, there it was.
Geez.
I wasn't even racing that weekend but the instant level of emotion was cool. Didn't need coffee after that.

jb

evarner
07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
No harm, no foul. :D

<group hug>

You crack me up, JB. 8)

NASA13
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
HeHe OMG!
I rolled out of the rack at 1st light on Sun morn.
Matt's trailer parked next to JJ's rig.
Barely awake. Head for the bathroom and BOOM, there it was.
Geez.
I wasn't even racing that weekend but the instant level of emotion was cool. Didn't need coffee after that.

jb
I understand.
Lisa still gets mad every time I bump draft a red mustang or silver camaro on the freeway. Hard to shake the feeling.

ShadowBolt
07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Definitely work on seat time before thinking about changing the current setup. The car is capable of running high 1:48's like it sits (been there, done that in it).

Again, seat time and listening to those at the track will help. Doing a lead/follow with the faster guys will bring you up to speed quickly.

/cheers

Eric,

I know the car is faster than I am at this point. Two things I don't like.

The brakes are strange! If I go into a turn really hot the pedal feels really hard but the car is not slowing down. I installed the new brake parts you gave me with the car but I don't like the feel of the pads. I have always liked the feel of the Willwood H pad but I don't know how it would work in this car. Also I don't know if I should use a less agressive pad in the rear or just adjust it with bias?

Too much negitive camber. I've looked at lots of road race cars and I never see that much negitive camber. It's got to hurt brake performance and it tears up the inside of the inside tire (Left front going CCW).

I'm going to take out the bolt in cage and have a welded one done. Will that mean the car will have to be re-setup?

Jerry

Boudy
07-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Jerry: Not sure what to say on camber. I've heard more is better, I've heard more than -3 will cause ill effects. I'm planning to test with a temp gauge next chance I get.

Sorry I missed you on Sunday, I was looking forward to meeting you. See ya @ TWS.

Boudy

NASA13
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
hard pedal is bad booster or wrong size booster for your preference.

Todd Covini
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Jerry,
Everything's a compromise.
Want better cornering?....runmore camber, but sacrifice braking & tire wear.
Want better braking?...run less camber, but sacrifice that cornering.

This isn't the first time I've seen championship cars bought, go thru an evolution of changing nearly everything and then ending back up close to where they started a few years down the road. (I think it must be part of our racer DNA. :lol: )

Everytime you change something, you'll go back down to the bottom of the learning ladder. Only until you put a few weekends with a static setup will you start to move up that ladder to learn how to drive that unwieldy beast. Most everyone on this forum will likely preach "seat time...seat time...seat time" prior to making any wholesale changes.

I've never driven CMC17, but if it's anything like my car (which I bet it is)...if it feels comfortable...you're not going fast enough. If you get accostomed to driving a "bad car" well...then think of how fast you'll be with a "good car"!!! LOL

Anyway...I'll get off my soapbox...regarding your particular questions:

1) Personally, I like 3-3.5 degrees of neg. camber at any track other than TWS. I've run that much at TWS, but will go thru a set of front tires in a weekend. Also, TWS doesn't require threshold braking as much anyway...so tone the camber down for that track. (Seat time!)

2) Good call on the new cage! Will it require an entirely different setup? Nah...if you were at the top of the learning ladder, then maybe. Go back to what I said earlier...if you learned to race with the bolt-in cage, the car will only be that much better with the new stiffer chassis! (Seat time!)

3) Brakes...let someone else drive it. Anyone who's driven one of these Foxes for years could tell you instantly if sumpin' ain't right. Corey's got vast experience with brake boosters and could even tell you the diff in laptimes from Sat to Sun with the old & new brake booster!!! :wink: If the pedal goes hard and isn't locking up, chances are you have an issue.

Take it from someone who drives a "bad car" every time I go out there...
a) don't worry about anyone else's laptimes
b) work on pesonal bests and getting "comfortable"
c) get as much seat time as you can
d) ride with pro...have a pro ride with you
e) go back to a) and start over again

Driver is the biggest part of the equation in CMC.

-=- Todd

evarner
07-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I agree with everything mentioned thus far.

One person can describe what they like in how brakes "should" feel, but ultimately it's up to the driver behind the wheel to become comfortable with what they want. :D The first two years ('03/'04) I raced CMC17 it had horrible brakes. I would have to pump the pedal before each and every corner to have 1/2 a pedal. lol I then installed the Cobra setup and flat spotted two new tires the first time out. :D Rear brake bias is also another important factor to adjust and dial-in. The brakes were super sensitive and a slight touch would usually result in a large amount of cooked rubber. lol

Mastering threshold braking is paramount in CMC. Without it you will lose time and will have someone go right around you in a corner. I made 90% of my passes going into a corner and seldom anywhere else. T16 is my all time favorite corner at MSR-H and any track for that matter. For example: most will check up early and it's a perfect time to stay off the binders until the last nanosecond. Yeah, you really have to be confident to do so. lol

Seat time..seat time...seat time. :D

Again, what one setup works for one person might not for another. As mentioned above a static setup or neutral might be best and then tweak it from there. I guess the only way to know something is to venture out and see if it works.

Recap: basics... keep it simple and live behind the wheel. Follow someone that is faster and work out ahead of time what, where and how. Seeing it done makes the learner curve a little less daunting. :D

/cheers

Boudy
07-08-2007, 01:36 AM
I made 90% of my passes going into a corner and seldom anywhere else./cheers

Ain't that the truth!!!

I also agree with Todd that if the car feels comfortable, you're going too slow. The Fox is a handful at speed.(probably understated) But then, where's the challange in driving Ms. Daisy???

Boudy

GlennCMC70
07-08-2007, 10:16 AM
i'll add this too.
lets say that the car is perfect for a novice driver - balanced and nuetral. as your ability increases the cars set-up will need to change in order to remain nuetral and balanced.
so as the car sits now Jerry, its better than you untill you get used to driving w/ no power - momentum driving.
right now you may feel there are a ton of changes needed. i say change them, but be sure to take very good notes as to how the car is set-up first.

i also commented to Eric that i thought he ran too much camber. that much camber to me is a sign of too soft a spring rate.

anyways. welcome to the world of wheel to wheel. happy tuning.

Todd Covini
07-08-2007, 10:34 AM
i also commented to Eric that i thought he ran too much camber. that much camber to me is a sign of too soft a spring rate.

Tell that to these guys! :lol:

http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/ACFSCAkYaqCY.JPG

evarner
07-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Again, great stuff above.

1. Take current specs, write them down.
2. Run consistent lap times at track "x"
3. Make "ONE" change and then repeat step 1.
4. Note if lap times are better or worse.

**I was able to pick up over 1/2 sec a lap with the amount of camber it currently has. It was easier to change camber than ask my better half for more money to buy additional springs. Make the best of whatcha got <- my motto

:D

Todd Covini
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Look!!! Camber got the Ford ahead of the Chevy!!! :lol:

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5317046,00.jpg

MMmmm.....I Luuuuuuuuuvvvve Camber!!!

http://www.lightmoves.com/news/v8supercar3.jpg

Todd Covini
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Here's what stiff springs and not enough camber looks like. :roll: :lol: 8)

http://backoffice.ajb.com.au/images/DynamicImages/Product/v8.jpg

-=- T

GlennCMC70
07-08-2007, 11:15 PM
we all know those Kiwi's have it all wrong. hell, even the water in the shitters spins the wrong way! :P

Wirtz
07-09-2007, 01:20 AM

Ummmm, it's called getting lapped ;)

mitchntx
07-09-2007, 06:40 AM

Ummmm, it's called getting lapped ;)

Or an inverted start.

Hey Todd ...

Instead of surfing the net looking for the few existing photos of

1. car with a lot of camber
2. Ford in front of a Holden
3. Holdens being punted by Fords

how about knocking out that race report.

A week after the event Tony has the west coast version posted.
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?t=2447

Boudy
07-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I learned a very valuable lesson recently at Hallet. My shifter broke going into 3rd gear in lap 2 of the final race. After settling into a rythem, I turned 132's in 3rd gear. Talk about momentum driving... I hope to transfer that lesson to help me calm down and stop overdriving the car in the future.

I've yet to test and tune my car because I finally feel that I'm getting to the point where I can contribute to tuning as a driver. Soon, I'll be trying various setup changes.

Just takes time buddy.

Boudy

michaelmosty
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I feel your pain Boudy,
I had my $9.99 shifter ball come off going into 4th gear during R3 in Houston. I was about to throw it out the window @ Proctor so he would get off my ass but figured I better save it for later. :lol:

JBWeld and I had a good talk with her and now she's back in place. :)

Todd Covini
07-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Todd ...

how about knocking out that race report.

A week after the event Tony has the west coast version posted.
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?t=2447

OK...I've been had. Will finish it up ASAP.
(Wife & kids leave town in the AM for summer trip...I should get more productive now.)

http://www.stuffonmycat.com/media/2/20050812-MRWHISKERS.jpg

-=- T