PDA

View Full Version : ...And the LS1 went KABOOM...clatter...clatter.

rpoz27
07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
My 100,000ish mile motor gave up the ghost yesterday at TWS crossing the start/finish line. It couldn't have blown up in a more appropriate spot as close to half of those miles were on that track. It made the noises listed above, died, and started billowing smoke out of the tailpipe and from under the hood. No actual fire. Just a lot of oil and water hitting the headers. Built up back pressure blew out most of the engine seals, the pcv valve catch can fitting blew apart, oil and water shot out of the intake, through the throttle body and into the air box, and the exhaust is still oozing out fluid. We're thinking whole new block, at this point, but maybe it'll tell a different story when it's opened up.

Now to the good news. It's very possible that I'll have #718 back in race shape in time for this weekend. Wish me luck!

AllZWay
07-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Good Luck on the re-build... still pretty crappy when a motor goes south though.

donovan
07-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Sorry to hear about that... I blew up my first engine in the same place back in 2004! Good times!

Get it ready if you can!!!

Let us know if you need any help hunting down parts!

DD

GlennCMC70
07-30-2007, 10:13 AM
consider an LS7 cate motor. detune the shit out of it and it will live forever.
get that thing back together!

AI#97
07-30-2007, 12:16 PM
consider an LS7 cate motor. detune the shit out of it and it will live forever.
get that thing back together!

Not a good idea. YOu can choke it too much and they don't last at all....ask JG about that crap.

Personally, I would go with a stock LS2 out Jegs and drop it right back in. I thought I heard you say the car weighs 3500 ready to race so you would be right in the ball park for power to weight! 8)

GlennCMC70
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
do it w/ timming and rev limiter. all you wanna do is cut down peak numbers.

rpoz27
07-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Found a new LS1 long block. Will have it today. Will reuse intake, headers and pulleys, so power should be similar. It's looking realistic for this weekend. :D

donovan
07-30-2007, 01:21 PM
WOW!

Get it done!
DD

BryanL
07-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Hate to hear you blew it up a week before a race. Good luck getting it rebuilt and ready for the weekend. That would be extremely impressive.
You might consider a new or goodwrench rebuild or the LS6 replacement motor. After I had my motor built, then come apart, put back together and now it needs to come out again I wish I would have gone this route.

I finished the install of my motor saturday morning and thanks to the Mosty's I was able to test at MSR that afternoon. I have a noisy valvetrain and think the engine is messed up. I am really going to look at a reman or new engine and either sell this engine or use it in another street car.
Can you run a dry sump in AI? There are a few ASA lingenfelter motors on Ebay right now.
Bryan

AI#97
07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Can you run a dry sump in AI? There are a few ASA lingenfelter motors on Ebay right now.
Bryan

No dry sumps in AI but you can use an external oil pump setup if you wish.

marshall_mosty
07-30-2007, 04:08 PM
No dry sump in AI, sorry. JG got close with his "semi" dry sump.

BryanL
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
To get rid of the dry sump I think you just need to add a regular internal oil pump and pickup tube and use your pan.
I am not sure what all is done to the motors but they say 12k from Lingenfelter. One ad claims 400 or 430 hp to the wheels?

AI#97
07-30-2007, 04:31 PM
To get rid of the dry sump I think you just need to add a regular internal oil pump and pickup tube and use your pan.
I am not sure what all is done to the motors but they say 12k from Lingenfelter. One ad claims 400 or 430 hp to the wheels?

Even a Leadmaro would not weigh enough for THAT much power! I am just not a fan of physically choking the air to the motor. If you can tune the combo you have with a little variation in timing then you will be better off.

For example, my motor is built to make 350 rwhp. We went with a smaller cam with a wild LSA and some timing games to make 320/330 with a dinner table torque curve. I have also overlayed JG's choked monster dyno onto mine and while his peaks are a little higher and he has about +5 hp/tq below 3500 compared to mine...after 5000 rpm, I was WELL above him in both HP and TQ because his ran out of air with the inlet restrictor where as mine continued to pull to nearly 6800 before losing HP.

Do I have THE answer...? Heck no. But I have just seen a lot of guys on the national board try to build some big engines that are physically choked with restrictors and end up blowing them up. Build smartly and it can be done on a budget with ease!

mitchntx
07-30-2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755637

rpoz27
08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks, Mitch! My stepdad is toying with the idea of that motor in his '72 Nova.

By Monday afternoon, my guys had a new engine in the shop. As of yesterday afternoon, it was in place and they were starting to reconnect everything.

GlennCMC70
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Mitch! My stepdad is toying with the idea of that motor in his '72 Nova.

By Monday afternoon, my guys had a new engine in the shop. As of yesterday afternoon, it was in place and they were starting to reconnect everything.

wow, whats taking so long? :P

rpoz27
08-01-2007, 02:42 PM

wow, whats taking so long? :P

That's what I keep asking! Getting out the whip seems to make an impression, but my arm gets tired after a while. :P