PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wrap

Rob Liebbe
08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I can't find in the rules about header or exhaust wrapping. I would like to wrap the exhaust as it goes under the driver compartment. Is there any rule that prohibits this? Please give reference if you know of one.

ShadowBolt
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Rob,

I certainly don't know for sure but when I asked after doing the first event in CMC-17 I was told it was NOT okay. Let me know if you need a piece of sheet metal to use as a heat shield and I'll send you a piece. If it turns out that it is okay to wrap the exhaust there will be two of us doing it.

JJ

jeffburch
08-08-2007, 12:12 PM

mitchntx
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
8.26. Exhaust
All cars must use OEM stock exhaust manifolds. Any suitable exhaust system may be used after the OEM stock exhaust manifolds. The exhaust must exit behind the driver and be directed away from the car. Mufflers may be required to meet sound regulations depending on track location.

The bold section tells me that after the exhaust manifolds, the exhaust is wide open. Many OEM replacement exhaust systems come ceramic coated which aids in capturing and sending the heat out the exhaust pipe. Header wrap does the same thing.

GlennCMC70
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Mitch is correct. my car has been this way since it was built and i've been asked many times about it. the end result is always the same, its legal as long as its not done to the headers or manifolds. be prepaired to re-wrap it once a year. it does not last very long.

Rob Liebbe
08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Glenn and Mitch,

That is a confirmation of what I remembered the rule being. I've got some melting on the heel of my right driving shoe so I will be adding some wrap in the proper places.

Thanks.

y5e06
08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I've got some melting on the heel of my right driving shoe
That is obviously due to the way you were driving this weekend, "hot shoe Liebbe", and not from exhaust temps :shock:

mitchntx
08-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I was thinking Fred Flintstone ...