PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of John Engle

Todd Covini
08-21-2007, 11:40 PM
From www.nasaproracing.com

IN MEMORY OF JOHN ENGLE
We are saddened to report that John Engle from Indianapolis, Indiana passed away after an accident Sunday at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. John was a well-loved racer in the Ohio-Indiana Region and his loss will be felt for many years to come. We offer the thoughts and prayers of the NASA family to John's family and friends in this difficult and trying time. Information on memorial services and other remembrances of John will be posted as soon as information is made available to us.

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
08-24-2007, 03:34 AM
FROM THE OH/OH REGIONAL DIRECTOR

In memory of John Engle

NASA OH/IN Region is saddened to report that we have lost one of our own. Although we begin our weekends alone as individuals heading to the racetrack to enjoy our hobby and sport, we become a community when we arrive. So, for many of us going to a NASA event is much more than just track time and racing, it’s about spending time with our second family. Even if we do not know each person at the track, we still share a bond with each other that only those who love this sport as we do can understand. We may only see a person once or twice a month, but we feel a great affection and respect for each other that stems from our shared passion for motorsports.

John Engle joined NASA in 2006, bringing with him many years of high performance driving experience and a great enthusiasm for the sport. In 2007, John decided to earn his Competition License at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car School and continued on to race in the GTS series with his friends. His red #88 M3 was always ready for the track and John was always ready to lend a hand to a friend or even a new acquaintance. It was my pleasure to get to know John through this process and I feel lucky to have had a chance to know him even if only for a short time.

John had a passion for cars and high performance driving that was unmatched and now he is with God driving his favorite car on his favorite track racing again among friends. Thinking of him often will allow us to remember his warm hart and kindness. We all will miss him and will never forget his soft smile that touched everyone he met.

Personally,

http://www.nasamidwest.com

Todd Covini
08-24-2007, 03:51 AM
You guys are awesome.
I do appreciate the fact that without any real information, we all have remained silent regarding this incident and not gotten into a lot of speculation on the forum.

Let's take this in as a wake-up call, and learn from it.
Richard, Al and Law Motorsports have always been huge proponents of safety from Day 1 here in Texas. Let's keep safety as our #1 priority and have your safety equipment up to a "worst case scenario" situation because I never, NEVER want to experience anything like this with one of our own.

In case you haven't seen, here are the facts as posted on NASA forums:
+++++++++++

Due to all the mis-information about this I have the ok to post this from the people who mattered most.

I have done my best to correct posts of mis-information from around the web. If you know of something I have not found please ask them to edit the post or send me a link and I will.

NASA is the Best, this is the only board that has stayed away from pushing for details true or not...... Thanks

Be safe,
Paul Hamm

Description of events-

Larry Collins driving a 944 lost his motor at the kink or about half way down the back straight. Larry went to drivers left as his car was filling with smoke and with limited visibility he felt that there where faster cars on the inside passing him. He went into the wet grass and slowed to a stop beyond the end of the straight. The 944 was in or next to china beach to the far left.

As John Engle in his M3 made his way around the track the starters flag station on the back straight was showing the debris flag, and the next station at the end of the straight was showing a yellow flag. The station at the top of the hill was clear.

John was around 10 sec. in front of the 944 when the engine let go, so it was around a 1:20 later he was making his way down the back straight. As John entered the area he went thought the oil and started to spin. The two cars came together 1:34 sec after the 944 came to a stop, right corner of the 944 to the left A pillar and door area of the M3. The cage on the M3 was pushed in enough that it had trapped John’s legs so that when he tried to get out he could not. The cage was cut away and John could move his feet as he was on his way to the hospital.

At the hospital it was discovered that John was bleeding internally some where in the upper chest cavity from the rate of deceleration at impact.

Larry hurt a muscle in his leg along and has a sore neck but will be fine.

If you feel the need to discuss details please due so privately (PM's, Email, Phone) and as we keep this to well wishes for the family. Thanks to all of you.

-=- Todd