PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires Needed

jeffburch
10-17-2007, 06:08 PM
I have 3 years on my trailer tires and need to replace.
I want to upgrade to a Goodyear Marathon Radial
or a Carlisle Radial Trail.
Moving from a load rate C to D.
Rims may be too narrow to get to far away from the 205's that are on there.

Does anyone have a hookup on trailer tires south of retail in DFW?

Thanks in advance :!:

jb

Adam Ginsberg
10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Check out Southwest Wheel in Dallas. Off 183, near TX Stadium. It's on the north side of the service road - it's actually in that "wedge" between I35W and 183/114, near Mockingbird.

They carry the Goodyear Marathon tires.

mitchntx
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I know you said local ...

I buy all my trailer tires from www.easternmarine.com

I can buy a tire and wheel combo from them, plus shipping for what NTB/Discount/etc. wants for just a tire, tax, mounting and balancing.

Order on Monday and it arrives on Wednesday.

AllZWay
10-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't know if you have one locally.... but the farm and ranch store here named TSC sells the carlisle tires.

j3ffbrooks
10-17-2007, 11:42 PM
why not just buy an E range truck tire?

what is really the difference?

I think the tire companies have everyone believing that you need a trailer tire for a trailer.

AllZWay
10-18-2007, 07:53 AM
why not just buy an E range truck tire?

what is really the difference?

I think the tire companies have everyone believing that you need a trailer tire for a trailer.

I think part of that is true.

My tire hook-up locally just sells me a good tire for my trailer as that is what they use on all of their race trailers and they have been in the tire business for 30 years or more.

Wirtz
10-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Just for another data point, I bought through Discount Tire. They have both Goodyears and Carlisle. I did this as they are a national chain so if I have trouble in the road they might be able to help out. The local shop here will match any price you can find published on the internut.

Jeff

jeffburch
10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
Great point guys thanks.
Wondered that myself.
I need to measure my rim width. I'm sure they are 5"-5.5" so going wider may require a set of rims. (15" diameter btw)
Not interested in doing that.
3 yrs in present size was adaquate with a sh!tty oem bias ply trailer tire.

jb

Adam Ginsberg
10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
For the first time since I've owned my trailer, I put D-load range trailer tires on it ( 1800lbs each ). Since 2003, I've been using cheapie used truck/car tires - $20 each, M&B'd.

The bias-ply tires I bought from Southwest Wheel were $37 each, and it cost another $10 for M&B'ing. They held up fine to and from Barber. We'll see how long they last.

From what I've read, one of the most damaging things to tires is sunlight - the UV rays really break down the rubber. I wonder if simply covering the tires while the trailer is sitting will help them live longer. In my case, only the driver side needs to be covered, as the passenger side sits very close to the fence ( within ~6 inches ) and I don't feel they get the same type of sun abuse the other side does.

marshall_mosty
10-18-2007, 12:18 PM
From what I've read, one of the most damaging things to tires is sunlight - the UV rays really break down the rubber. I wonder if simply covering the tires while the trailer is sitting will help them live longer.

I have a set of Harbor Freight tire covers that are on the exposed tires on my trailer. I think the covers were $10 for a set of 4.

jeffburch
10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Not alot of load rated light truck tires out there in a 15 inch.

jb

Adam Ginsberg
10-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I have a set of Harbor Freight tire covers that are on the exposed tires on my trailer. I think the covers were $10 for a set of 4.

Excellent piece of info, Marshall. I still have 2 gift cards to Harbor Freight that are burning a hole in my wallet. ;)

jeffburch
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Good luck in finding them.
I bought a set of cheapos that were Tyvek there.
They didn't last long.
I went back to get the nicer more expensive ones and they were out.
I presume you can pick these up at Southwest Wheel or any RV joint.
I also use them to cover wheel/tire or brakes when putting down my 50/50 touch up paint jobs hehe.
jb

Rob Liebbe
10-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Check some of the RV type forums and search for people's experience with Carlisle v Goodyears. Seems like I remember one of them having a bad reputation.

BryanL
10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
To hijack the thread a little can someone remind me about tire pressures and temperatures for trailer tires?
I put new tires on my enclosed trailer. They were some off brand and made in China which makes me worry. They are load range D and worked on a 120 mile roundtrip yesterday. I am concerned that they were running too hot. I didn't have anything to take the temp but just put my hand on the tire and they were pretty hot. Any idea what is acceptable?
Also when I was at an NHRA race I saw some bigger enclosed trailers with higher load ranges than D. Don't know if it is overkill as I like D's myself but don't have any experience with bigger.

Bryan

j3ffbrooks
10-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Check some of the RV type forums and search for people's experience with Carlisle v Goodyears. Seems like I remember one of them having a bad reputation.

Carlisle's are junk.....in my opinion.

Adam Ginsberg
10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
To hijack the thread a little can someone remind me about tire pressures and temperatures for trailer tires?

The pressure should be marked on the sidewall. The set I recently picked up indicate 50psi cold, so that's where they are set.

As for temps...I have no idea. On my way back to Dallas from BMP, I noticed my trailer tires were pretty warm to the touch as well, but I have no idea what the "correct" temp should be. :?:

mitchntx
10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
As Adam said ... go by the psi recommendation stenciled in the sidewall.

On the way to MO and back, I kept cha\ecking the hub and tire temps. Hubs were generally between 105 and 115. Tire temps were in the 120s.

NASA13
10-22-2007, 12:47 PM
I use the sensitive part of my arm.
When the tires or hubs burn me...I pull over and rest.